Motorail to Austria & Italy

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Motorail to Austria & Italy

Post by David. »

Have been looking at Motorail services from Germany (Dusseldorf) to Austria (Vienna/Innsbruck) and/or Italy (Verona/Livorno).

http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#.U-JfcGcU99B

Has anyone had any experience using the "train to take the strain", between Germany & Austria/Italy.
guest2360

Re: Motorail to Austria & Italy

Post by guest2360 »

No.  Much prefer unrestricted autobahn. 
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I have used the train for the past 7 years one way or sometimes both - and partly this was due to having an good excuse to visit a dear friend in Dusseldorf.

I would emphasis that this is not luxury travel as the compartments are pretty cramped - it a way of getting from A to B fast. I defy anyone to get their bike from Dusseldorf to Vienna quicker than by overnight train, but for me saving the strain is priceless. I am still working and don't want to go back to office after a marathon ride home - I'm too old for that! Having said that, I am not made of money .....I have just logged on to the Euro Express web site and the prices are very high for one traveller because the bike is so expensive (£200 each way).

I would be delighted to discuss any questions you may have - just send me a private message.

John
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

beemerboy9 wrote:I would emphasis that this is not luxury travel as the compartments are pretty cramped.

I would be delighted to discuss any questions you may have - just send me a private message.
I'm happy to discuss here on the forum for all to share, if that's ok with yourself.

If so, what type of compartment did you choose, http://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/nightjet.htm
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Haven't been as far as Vienna in Austria, but it's 740 miles from the ferry terminal in Rotterdam.
We've done Bormio in Italy & Malta in Austria, both 700 miles, on each occasion did the distance over 3 days.

Using the train, we could get the ferry to Rotterdam, arrive in the morning, ride 150 miles to Dusseldorf, get the overnight train & be at our destination the next day.
This would potentially save us 4 days travelling, giving more time to explore Austria.

You'd have to be going some on the Autobahn to beat that & arrive relaxed with a day ahead of you.

If heading to Italy, Verona is 770 miles & Livorno is 860 miles from Rotterdam.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Is it not about the same as going to Spain by ferry.  Is it a biking holiday or a cruise.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Funny, when strangers ask me where I'm going on holiday and I say, for example, Spain the next question is who am I flying with. I don't enjoy flying, I'd much rather travel by bike - ferry or tunnel for me.
The follow up question once motorcycling is established is do you go camping. If I wanted to go camping I would need a car full of stuff to make the experience enjoyable.

If people want to sleep under canvas, fly to holiday destinations or put their bikes on trains to save time and stress they are of course more than welcome, but none of these things appeal to me - I really enjoy travelling by bike ! 😊
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have done Spain twice, once riding through France & once on the ferry.

Through France, we had destinations to visit on route in both directions, taking 3 days each way.

Taking the ferry gets you to Spain in 24 hours, allowing you to head further South.

Each to their own, it probably boils down to what time & finances are available.

Recently went to Albert in France on the train (without the bike),  really enjoyed the experience.

Putting my bike on the train appeals to me more than riding hundreds of miles on motorways to get to the destination.
Likewise, in the UK, I'd rather ride to Newcastle or Hull for a ferry, than 300 miles to the South coast.

If we went to Norway again, would take the ferry from (Germany) Kiel to Oslo.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Hi David,
Quite happy to discuss on an open forum, provided that there are no interruptions from the "trains are not for he-men" brigade.

I was travelling alone to Vienna in a two-berth compartment with wash-basin in one of the older sleeping cars, and was expecting to have to share from the off. The train left at 21:00 and a German boarded at about 00:30 after I had gone to sleep. I was awoken but he was pretty quiet about getting into the top bunk and I soon got to sleep again. He had ordered his breakfast of coffee and croissant at slightly after 05:00 and then, to my surprise, got off shortly after to go to work servicing the rotating bases of fire-engine ladders. I am sure that taking the night train beat the heck out of an equivalent night drive.

On previous occasions I have used a 4/5-berth cabin but I think I would still pay the extra for a 2-berth next time. I would not trust myself to get to sleep on a reclining chair, but others may fare differently.
The train arrived in Vienna at about 07:30 if I remember and I was feeling quite refreshed. I rode to meet my son at the airport that afternoon (it was the cheapest way of getting him to Vienna) and we took in a mountain view over the city while enjoying a coffee.

I notice that for 2017 there is a train from Dusseldorf to Innsbruck.

Hope this helps,
John
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks John, it looks like the choice of accommodation (compartment) is obviously down to the train operator, rolling stock & destination.
Dutch company, Treinreiswinkel, Autoslaaptrein, to Verona & Livorno (Italy),  or Austrian Railways (ÖBB),  to Vienna & Innsbruck (Austria).

(When using Eurostar, we were on one of the original rolling stock trains & it was a bit shabby.)

How do you avoid sharing with an unknown German guy, some trains may have single compartments or can you pay for single occupancy of a 2 bed compartment.
If my wife & I were travelling together, we'd probably go for a deluxe sleeper with an en suite toilet & shower.

On a ferry, if a 2 bed cabin (both at ground level),  rather than 2 bunk cabin (one above the other),  is not available, we normally book a 4 bed cabin for the two of us, plus a window seat.

"Incidentally, ships have 'cabins', the correct term on a train is 'compartment'!"

Sounds like a perfect way to travel to your destination, if hundreds of miles are involved & you want to arrive relaxed with your bike at the end.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

How is the bike secured? Are there bike only stock or are bikes in with cars? Sounds a great option.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like the bikes are secured like on a ferry, I've read somewhere that they go on the lower deck.

MotoRail / Autoslaaptrein /Autozug - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWcT7m_jnNM

BMW K1200LT on Autozug i n Germany - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=braWzBuHNxk

Looks like there is not a lot of headroom.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnarthur

Post by johnarthur »

The Autoslaap train company running from Den Bosch to Livorno etc went bust a couple of years ago (and I am still waiting for some sort of refund).  Now the only option, as far as I know, is the Dusseldorf one.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

johnarthur wrote:Now the only option, as far as I know, is the Dusseldorf one.
This Seat61 website would suggest that you are correct, http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#.U-JfcGcU99B
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Casbar wrote: How is the bike secured? Are there bike only stock or are bikes in with cars? Sounds a great option.
Bikes are mixed in with cars on the lower deck and go on first. Cars are off loaded top-deck first. The bike is secured for you and any loose luggage must be removed, including all tankbags. Helmet and gloves ares stowed in the now-empty panniers as space is at a premium in the compartment.
The Germans are usually charming, and [size=2px]I have also shared a compartment on the Autoslaaptren with a couple of equally charming Dutch lesbians. The scariest-looking person ever to enter my compartment was a bald, heavily tatoo-ed and pierced. mid-30's Welshman going to work at the Munich Patent Office!
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall