Identity Tag

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Identity Tag

Post by Sullivj »

Does anyone carry any kind of identity tag / ICE (In Case of Emergency) card, should the worst happen?

There are lots out there that require a paramedic / passer-by, to scan a QR code / sticker on your helmet.  I'm looking for something a bit more 'traditional', that doesn't require technology to read it.

This seems like a reasonable idea.  Does anyone use anything else / better?

http://www.iceid.co.uk/helmet-id/
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Identity Tag

Post by Steve F »

All I use (well, hope not to be used!) is the ICE contact on my mobile phone. The iceid tag is very neat but I can't help thinking that a nice thin steel tag under my chin is somehow a liability, in the event of an 'off' and the steel tag being right next to your soft fleshy neck!!?? :eek:  Alright, maybe I'm just a bit paranoid! :thinking:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sullivj wrote: Does anyone carry any kind of identity tag / ICE (In Case of Emergency) card, should the worst happen?

There are lots out there that require a paramedic / passer-by, to scan a QR code / sticker on your helmet.  I'm looking for something a bit more 'traditional', that doesn't require technology to read it.

This seems like a reasonable idea.  Does anyone use anything else / better?

http://www.iceid.co.uk/helmet-id/

I use the QR type on my helmets.
CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

Good old fashioned dog tags for me. ICE & pertinent medical listed.
Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I have a simple card that was handed out at an air ambulance event and on which I filled in my details. It sits in one of the inside pockets on my jacket so not sure if it would get found quickly so perhaps I should look at a better option.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks for the replies.

I wonder how many people would know to scan a QR code, or have the appropriate network coverage to get a result, which is why I have a preference for something more 'old fashioned'.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sullivj wrote: Thanks for the replies.

I wonder how many people would know to scan a QR code, or have the appropriate network coverage to get a result, which is why I have a preference for something more 'old fashioned'.

Hospitals have the QR readers and so do some Ambulance crews. Guess its better than nothing. I work on the theory that the equipment must be out there or companies wouldn't be making money by selling the stickers.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

When I purchased a Klim Badlands Jacket - they offered to create a ICE card.

I have taken them up on the offer, and carry it in a special pocket on the sleeve.
Best regards, Sleuth
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

As a serving UK traffic cop, old school is always best, so a bit of paper/card with those details on works best. QR codes are great but job phones wont allow the software on them so we can't access them unless using our own personal mobiles. To be fair, we're usually very busy at the scene and it's ambulance staff who would be able to scan/look. I have details on a card in my jacket pocket and wallet, along with a ICE USB stick clipped on to the front of my jacket.

Most next of kin contacts i have experienced have taken place in the Accident & Emergency department when the hussle and bussle of life saving has relented to enable further investigation to take place.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

7vwh wrote: As a serving UK traffic cop, old school is always best, so a bit of paper/card with those details on works best.
I agree, printed details are best. Don't just rely either on ICE details in a mobile that is locked if your unable to give the password  ;)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Having had my mind prompted by this thread I have just ordered some updated ICE products (from here).

I have gone for an ICE sticker for my helmet with a QR code on it - it also comes with a tag with the same QR code which I will attach to my jacket somewhere. I have also ordered an engraved 'dog tag' that will clip onto my bike key ring. This way I am covering my bases for both new technology and 'old school'.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Benchmark wrote: ... Don't just rely either on ICE details in a mobile that is locked if your unable to give the password ;)
One of the first things I did with my smart phones is place an ICE notification on the  lock screen.
Best regards, Sleuth
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Sleuth wrote: One of the first things I did with my smart phones is place an ICE notification on the  lock screen.
That works but not for those who add it as a contact only on a locked phone.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Benchmark wrote: I agree, printed details are best. Don't just rely either on ICE details in a mobile that is locked if your unable to give the password  ;)
As has been said, no problem if you take care to store the ICE info via the Emergency 'button' & under * Medical ID 'button'. No codes or passwords needed then.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I too have ICE details on my phone, but I'm not going to assume that after an accident it will be guaranteed to still be working. It doesn't take that much to break the screen on a lot of the modern smartphones.