Arm rests for pillion

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Danasor

Re: Arm rests for pillion

Post by Danasor »

Thank you all for your ideas and reference information.  My pillion is totally new to motorcycles.

I have considered attaching arm rests to the top box (48liter) with the plan that they could break away in a crash, but give enough security to the pillion on a ride.  It would not be difficult to fabricate.

Thoughts? 

Thanks for the welcome,

Dana

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As 99.9% of pillion passengers don't use arm rests I would suggest you start with none .In my experience even top boxes can be a hinderence to them as getting on and off is more difficult. We started with a small roll bag to give some support.  But the OEM box does give lots of support to them.  As I said earlier when we eventually ended up with them and only because the bike came with them they just annoyed her.  If yours has decent kit she will have armour in the jacket arms.  This lines up perfectly with arm rests making it difficult to get comfortable. 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Danasor wrote:I have considered attaching arm rests to the top box (48liter) with the plan that they could break away in a crash, but give enough security to the pillion on a ride. It would not be difficult to fabricate.
Another thread from BMWLT, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/2 ... post293738

Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

They look like they've been stolen from a mobility scooter!
Danasor

Post by Danasor »

Sounds like she needs to buck up!

Dana
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

This idea has caught on well in S Hemi-sphere.

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/ ... rcycle.jpg

8)
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

That's ruled out filtering then!
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I love the way the rider obviously thinks the hi-vis vest is an important safety measure but not the sofa!
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Have a K1600 exclusive, one of the many reasons I purchased was pillion comfort and that included arm rests. My wife loves them, although imo they don't look that cleaver when riding solo.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Jim wrote: Have a K1600 exclusive, one of the many reasons I purchased was pillion comfort and that included arm rests. My wife loves them, although imo they don't look that cleaver when riding solo.
Pillion Comfort has always been my main priority
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sshirren/R1200R/2%20up.jpg
:P