Alternator belt squeel

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Cornish_Camhead
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Alternator belt squeel

Post by Cornish_Camhead »

Hi all, cleaned my new to me 2013 RT Camhead recently with a hose, started her up and the alternator belt was squeeking. I think i got some water into the belt area. Any tips on cleaning? I had a quick look at the Haynes manual, will check my bolts on the cover are tight. Does the cover have vent holes in the top? I'm used to Japanese bikes so this is all new to me.
Last edited by Cornish_Camhead on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
63 plate Camhead RT SE with NAV 5, 22l topbox, rear panniers with flat lids, RTP cooling fan, LED side lights, headlight protector, grip puppies, RTP engine bars. Stage 1 remap, sport end can, last of the air/oil cooled RT model.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Alternator belt squeel

Post by David. »

Cornish_Camhead wrote:Does the cover have vent holes in the top?
Yes it does.

Cornish_Camhead
Great Britain

Thanks David for the picture. I guess i'll be less enthusiastic with the hose  :)) If I learn one new thing everyday. I'll be reasonably smart someday!  :alas:
63 plate Camhead RT SE with NAV 5, 22l topbox, rear panniers with flat lids, RTP cooling fan, LED side lights, headlight protector, grip puppies, RTP engine bars. Stage 1 remap, sport end can, last of the air/oil cooled RT model.
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

I have been through 4 belts on my 2008 RT with 167,000 miles on it. Only one of them did exactly as your did. It only squealed for a couple seconds after washing the bike. It never caused any other problems.......nothing to worry about.

Ron
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Kellenbenz wrote:I have been through 4 belts on my 2008 RT with 167,000 miles on it.
Wow, that's some mileage, have you had the bike from new.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I recently had to have my front crankshaft oil seal replaced which lives behind the belt top drive pully. The BMW technician who did the job said that the seal failure and subsequent oil leak was caused by corrosion on the crank which in turn damaged the seal. He said that the corrosion was probably a result of water ingress behind the upper part of the belt cover. (Over enthusiastic use of pressure washer / hose by previous owner ?)
Last edited by Our Gee on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornish_Camhead
Great Britain

Thanks for the replies, All very good information to learn. Hats off to that stellar mileage, wow these bikes are truly amazing.
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

David. wrote: Wow, that's some mileage, have you had the bike from new.
David,

I bought the Rt used in June 2012 with 16478 miles on her. I do ride a lot. Last year I put 47388 miles on her....129 miles per day.

I have a new 2017 RT on order now.

Ron
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles