Touratech Adjustable Gear Lever

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Reaper999

Touratech Adjustable Gear Lever

Post by Reaper999 »

Being new to BMW ownership and after over 25yrs on different Jap and British Bikes there where a couple of things I was struggling to adapt to.
One was the Indicator switches on each bar (still struggling with that but getting there slowly) and the Gear Shift and Rear Brake levers seemed to me to be far too short and just felt oddly pointed into the bike.
I tried some cheap extender peices which worked fine for the rear brake lever but I still wasn't too pleased with the Gear Lever as if I had my old MX Style boots on I just couldnt get my toes under the shift lever properly to change gear.

So I came accross this on a well known auction site.

As it was cheap I took a chance and bought it for just over £10 so was worth having a go.

Removed the old lever and set the new one up so it was little longer and pointed just a fraction further out, away from the bike than the factory fit item.

Got the new one fitted.

To me it's made a huge differance and I can now wear any pair of boots and change gear without a problem.

This is probably one of those things thats a bit of a "Non Issue" to someone who's had BMW's for years and is used to the spacing of the levers but for me, I just didn't like it.
This has been a cheap and easy fix for me so might be useful for anyone else that may find it an issue if they make the transition from Jap / British bikes to the BMW ?
Last edited by Reaper999 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Re: Touratech Adjustable Gear Lever

Post by gogs01 »

Good to see you've got the bike sorted to your satisfaction !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Paggers

Re: Touratech Adjustable Gear Lever

Post by Paggers »

One of the things that I like on the RT over the GS is that it is possible to adjust the gear selector much further down without it fouling the side stand. On my GS I always had to lift my left foot off the peg to change down gear because I couldn't get the selector any further down (I have long legs and big feet). On the RT I have got it perfectly positioned so I can change up and down without having to take my foot off the peg.

Oddly enough I have never had a problem with getting my foot around the peg - perhaps that is again due to those long legs and big feet meaning that I come at it from a slightly steeper angle of the foot.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X