New RT Clutch Lever/Clutch Adjustments

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
BlueRT

New RT Clutch Lever/Clutch Adjustments

Post by BlueRT »

My 2016 R1200RT is stock out of the dealership with no adjustments to date. I'm having a little trouble adjusting my ergonomics to the clutch. Is it a simple clutch lever adjustment or a clutch adjustment?  I've been searching YouTube for DIY instructional information and haven't found anything specific to the RT.  Any recommendations from the Forum group is greatly appreciated. 
Keep The Faith!
guest2360

Re: New RT Clutch Lever/Clutch Adjustments

Post by guest2360 »

Difficult to miss.  A big wheels on the lever where it's joined to the unit. , just spin it
Lift the lever forward a bit before you do.  1 is the closest position. No other adjustment is possible.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The clutch lever span adjuster can be seen in front of the "wonder wheel".

See page 86 of the Rider's Manual.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnesherman

Post by johnesherman »

Clutch lever has limited adjustment; as a result, only the numbered wheel stops on the lever handle. Also, the clutch friction zone is close to the full lever release; therefore, practice is necessary to get use to bike's clutch friction point. One suggestion is with bike off and in gear push bike while testing friction engagement lever and hand positions for new muscle memory.

Another solution: learn to shift bike gears without using clutch except for full stops.

John Sherman R1200RT Tacoma WA USA
johnesherman

Post by johnesherman »

The instruction book how to shift: [size=2px]http://amzn.to/2fIg4md[/size]
John Sherman R1200RT Tacoma WA USA
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you are riding around on a 125 bhp grand touring bike costing up to £16K and you can't change gear properly it's too late to spend £3.94 to learn.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

RTman10 wrote: If you are riding around on a 125 bhp grand touring bike costing up to £16K and you can't change gear properly it's too late to spend £3.94 to learn.

For pity,s sake, do you have to lecture the guy. This is a great Forum so let's not sink to the levels of the other one.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

Our Gee wrote:
For pity,s sake, do you have to lecture the guy. This is a great Forum so let's not sink to the levels of the other one.

Quite agree, I have been considering leaving due to some unhelpful comments, if I want sarcastic unhelpful replies, I'll send a message to my ex-wife.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Now don't all take offence.  My point was.  None of us will be new to biking.  Some book explaining clutchless changes is just not going to explain how to smooth out the gearbox on a bike like an RT with its heavy shaft drive.  More likely to suggest you make sure the chain is correctly tensioned.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Our Gee wrote:
Funny you should mention the other forum. Some of the rudist people i have come across on forums were (are) there. Also the K16 forum has a few doozies as well (even one of the "moderators" ).
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

kiki wrote: Funny you should mention the other forum. Some of the rudist people i have come across on forums were (are) there. Also the K16 forum has a few doozies as well (even one of the "moderators" ).
Out of interest, what is the 'other' forum?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sullivj wrote: Out of interest, what is the 'other' forum?

This one is quite feisty, but has a great sales section http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdispl ... RT-Tourers

This one is mostly US based, but haven't found it bad - http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/

The problem is a forum is a forum for all, some great advice, some banter, but its not a place where everyone will always play nice, people are just not like that. Some of the watch forums I am on are quite brutal  8)
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks Casbar.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Sullivj wrote: Out of interest, what is the 'other' forum?
Actually i was referring to the LT forum mentioned above here. What i have noticed in the past several months is that it appears to be dying a slow  death. Only a handful of new members and new threads.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Could be something to do with its name.  There hasn't been an LT for probably 10 years now.