Heed Engine Crash Bars

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
MJO1

Heed Engine Crash Bars

Post by MJO1 »

Im a new owner of a 2016 r1200rt.  i want to put engine crash bars on it.  i have been looking at the Heed Crash bars found on eBay.  The Heed bars are made in Poland, look good, appear strong, and are good bit less expensive than other manufacturers.

I wonder if anyone has purchased these bars for their bike and what your experience has been with the quality of the bars.  comments on other models will be apprecated, but most interested in Heed.  Thank you.
Maz12

Re: Heed Engine Crash Bars

Post by Maz12 »

Brace yourself...  A load of anti crashbar posts coming your way
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No One.  Would look good on a GS. Service time is going to be fun for someone.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Maz12 wrote: Brace yourself...  A load of anti crashbar posts coming your way
Indeed, I hope he's thick skinned  ;)
MJO1

Post by MJO1 »

Your kindness and understanding (and helpful responses) while i learn the culture of the r1200rt and this forum will be most appreciated. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MJO1 wrote: Your kindness and understanding (and helpful responses) while i learn the culture of the r1200rt and this forum will be most appreciated.

Have a read of this thread on another forum http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/1 ... 016rt.html
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think that what needs to be kept in mind is if you crash while moving forward at anything above jogging pace things like crash bars will make no difference.  In fact they can cause extra damage by damaging casings where they are attached. 
Crash bars will save you in a simple drop which most of us have experienced. 
You can get this protection by fitting kit that is all but invisible.  You don't need half the Forth Rd bridge.  Only my opinion of course, OEM engine protectors fitted. A few member on here have put them to the test.  All that's normally needed after the event is finding a friend to help,you pick the thing up again. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

RTman10 wrote: I think that what needs to be kept in mind is if you crash while moving forward at anything above jogging pace things like crash bars will make no difference. In fact they can cause extra damage by damaging casings where they are attached.
Crash bars will save you in a simple drop which most of us have experienced.
+1.  I've gone the head protector route too, after a long think about bars, on the basis that if the drop is at any speed then the bike goes flying down the road in a shower of plastic and sparks.  Even if the engine emerges pristine, the bike's a write off anyway.
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

I've been trolling several RT related forums collecting options on engine protection and highway pegs and aux lighting.  Sometimes you have to go one route to satisfy the other.  This winter break is giving me plenty of time to sort out which direction I want to take.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The advice you get will differ wildly depending on what side of the pond you look. 
MJO1

Post by MJO1 »

While the advice on crash bars vs head protectors is appreciated, i am specifically looking for comments on the quality and function of the Heed Bars

Comments/opinions on the quality of other manufactuer's bars is also helpful.  Comments from those riders with crash bars will be very helpful.  thank you 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MJO1 wrote: While the advice on crash bars vs head protectors is appreciated, i am specifically looking for comments on the quality and function of the Heed Bars

Comments/opinions on the quality of other manufactuer's bars is also helpful.  Comments from those riders with crash bars will be very helpful.  thank you

So haven't you bothered with the link I posted.  Its more a US thing, so you might be better asking your questions on the other forum.
MJO1

Post by MJO1 »

Thank you for that link  it was very informative.  i am just trying to seek out a variety of opinions.  The help is much appreciated..
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Get what you like.  If it makes you happy....it was worth the coin.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I have the Wunderlich bars,  easy to fit.  Handy for attaching cameras etc
Hope I never put them to the test