BMW Audio and Navigation via Starcom digital

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

BMW Audio and Navigation via Starcom digital

Post by chappers2a »

Help needed please!. On my previous RTLC  2014 model I wired the audio system into my Starcom digital and was able to enjoy music from radio or MP3 and also directions from the Navigator V. I have recently changed bike and now have a 2016 RTLC (same LE spec). But when I wired the Starcom into this bike I can hear the music from the audio but no navigation directions from the Nav V! The dealer says the Nav V is bluetooth only, but it worked ok on my old bike without using the BT02 connected to the starcom,  i.e. the instructions must have been coming via the audio unit. I am suitably perplexed. Can anyone shed any light please?  Thanks in anticipation.
Last edited by chappers2a on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chappers2a
Si_Burnout
Belgium

Re: BMW Audio and Navigation via Starcom digital

Post by Si_Burnout »

Try turning the bluetooth off on the navigator V. Then the instructions should go trough the audiosystem if it's in the cradle.

Live to ride and ride to live.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Do  a test the BMW way.Find someone with a Bluetooth headset that will connect to the bike's bluetooth audio (maybe your BMW dealer).
1) Switch off Bluetooth on the Nav 5
2) Switch on BT on the bike by switching speakers off.
3) Is the music audible?
if yes, then drop the Nav5 into the cradle.
4) Can you hear the Nav instructions?
If no, then there must be a connection fault between the cradle and the audio unit.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you can hear the Nav through the your speakers it should work through your Starcom connection so long as you have disabled BT.  If it doesn't you have a fault with the Nav or its cradle or its on mute.  Another check,is to attempt to use the Nav audio system. If it tells you to use the bike audio everything is working. If it tells you to connect your BT headset it's not.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Quick question (as this is something I am considering doing down the road). When you say 'disable bluetooth on the Nav' is there a way to disable to audio so it goes via the sound system but retain the SmartLink connection? Losing the SmartLink for traffic routing would be a major downside in my opinion and obviously that requires a BT connection to the phone.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Put a small piece of insulating tape over the 3rd contact up on the right side,  then it doesn't know it's in the bike cradle
chappers2a
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

I have put the Nav V in the car cradle and it works fine there so I am assuming the Nav is fine. When it is fitted into the bike cradle it will successfully pair with the Starcom bluetooth dongle BT-02 but will not receive any directions. I have checked speakers are off (bluetooth is on) and bluetooth is on in the Nav. When speakers are switched back on I can hear music via the earphones in helmet but nothing from the Nav. The take off for the audio input to the Starcom unit is from the speaker wires which are currently disconnected. Therefore I can only think that there is a fault in the bike cradle or the wiring coming from it.
chappers2a
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You have me there.  You say the connection from the bike audio unit and your Starcom through the speaker wires is disconnected so how can you hear the unit.  If you are properly connected by wire between the audio unit and your Starcom it should work so long as you switch off ALL BT.  You do not say if you can hear the Nav through the bike speakers. To my knowledge the system on your earlier LC and your new one is identical. I do not understand why you are connecting the Nav via a BTM 02 unless you have a phone connected as well.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
chappers2a
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

To clarify, the speakers in the dashboard are disconnected so that I don't have music etc coming through speakers and helmet at the same time. I do not currently have a three way switch to allow switching between helmet/speakers/both. The wires that feed the speakers now feed the Starcom unit. I have wired this bike the same as my previous bike and that worked ok with the Nav V but not on this 2016 model.  Even when I pair the Nav, bike and Starcom via bluetooth I do not get music or Nav directions.
chappers2a
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The volume needed via your Starcom if it's the same as an Autocom unit is so low the speakers cannot be heard so there is no need to disconnect them. I assume the wireing you are using is something made by Starcom .  With the speakers disconnected I can't see how you are going to find out where the system isn't working.  Loading into a car cradle won't show you if there is a problem with the bike and as you are aware the audio unit effects the way the Nav works as it disables its audio app.
How about visiting your dealer and putting your Nav into one of their bikes to see if it gives prompts.  If it does it's either your wireing, the bike cradle or a setting somewhere.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chappers2a
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

That will be my next action. I would pop down to the dealer today but it is trying to snow up here (twixt Oldham and Rochdale) so if it continues like that I may wait until next weekend.
chappers2a
Si_Burnout
Belgium

Post by Si_Burnout »

Paggers wrote: Quick question (as this is something I am considering doing down the road). When you say 'disable bluetooth on the Nav' is there a way to disable to audio so it goes via the sound system but retain the SmartLink connection? Losing the SmartLink for traffic routing would be a major downside in my opinion and obviously that requires a BT connection to the phone.
My navigator gets its traffic information via the FM radio. So after turning it on for a few minutes it's updated in the nav system and even works on the back roads. But it's possbile that it's different for all the regions
Live to ride and ride to live.
chappers2a
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

Well I braved the elements and took a trip to my dealer (Williams) and tried my Nav V in a showroom bike and you could hear the Nav through the onboard speakers. Just the beep of the mute/unmute function and radio volume dipping as we were inside with no sat nav reception. This reinforces the general opinion that there may well be a fault with the cradle or wiring from it. The only staff on duty today were sales and I was advised to gently clean the terminals on the bike cradle with contact cleaner as it could be possible that may be part of the problem. Upon returning home I duly cleaned the contacts but to no avail so it looks like a phone call to the service dept. is next with a view to getting a technician to have a look.
chappers2a
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I'm not far from you (Hebden Bridge) and hav a 2014rt with audio system and autocom
Your welcome to pop over and try your nav v in mine or mine in yours
Problem mines in having a new engine and I won't get it back till Satyrday
chappers2a
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

Thanks for the kind offer Maz12.  I am pretty sure the fault lies within the cradle somewhere so I will see what the dealer says.  You're having a new engine fitted. Paint blistering problems I guess? My previous RT (2014) was on its third engine because of that!
chappers2a