Shaving a seat

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
kawabob1

Shaving a seat

Post by kawabob1 »

8)  Hi all, I have a 2009 RT, I have had it 2 yrs. I have dropped it once due to my short inseam 27 1/2" and would like to shave the seat down. It is a heated seat. I really like to do my own work and repairs. Has anyone ever done this? I am thinking of adding a gel pack to it for comfort but I am unsure how close the heating elements are to the surface of the original foam and if I need to worry about heating the gel too much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Life has an expiration date..use it before you lose it..
B.O

Re: Shaving a seat

Post by B.O »

Have you been thinking about the springs (Hyperpro) I have done that and satisfied....
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Have you already got the low seat fitted or the standard one?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

kawabob1 wrote: I am thinking of adding a gel pack to it for comfort but I am unsure how close the heating elements are to the surface of the original foam and if I need to worry about heating the gel too much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My local guy who does this job all day every day will not use gel pads with heated elements.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Benchmark wrote: My local guy who does this job all day every day will not use gel pads with heated elements.
There seems to be varied opinions on this.

I've just had my seat reshaped and a Gel Insert fitted and the Guy that has done the work is of the opinion that depending on what type of Gel is used, it's not an issue.
That being said he doesn't use off the shelf gel inserts but actually molds is own so it can be better suited to individual seat bases.
kawabob1

Post by kawabob1 »

I have the standard seat in the low position. I really am not interested in changing springs and I ride in the sport single rider position. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Life has an expiration date..use it before you lose it..
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you are worried about height getbthe low seat.  There's a lot of difference.
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

RTman10 wrote: If you are worried about height get the low seat.  There's a lot of difference.

What he said.
I got the lower heated seat and
it really makes a big difference.
Much more comfortable to ride.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You might even find someone to swap with. 
Hominid

Post by Hominid »

Skeezix wrote: What he said.
I got the lower heated seat and
it really makes a big difference.
Much more comfortable to ride.
I have a brand new 2016RT and am 5'7". I took delivery just last weekend. With the standard seat in the low position I'm way up on my toes - unworkable situation from my perspective. The low seat makes a huge difference - I can almost flat foot it now. I don't know that I would have bought the bike without seeing how much better it fit me with the low seat.

I think you'll find it much better even though it is hard as a rock. I'm considering taking it to a custom seat guy in my area to try making it a bit more comfortable.
-----> Beemer Noob <-----
frogger

Post by frogger »

Yep, I can also confirm that the low seat makes a big difference. I have 29" inside leg and the standard seat in the low position was still too high. Got a low seat and found that in the low position, it was actually too low for me (maybe perfect for you) so I now have a low seat in the high position which is great for me.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just be aware that a pre LC bike with a low seat is 10mm higher.&nbsp; In fact the LC can be the same height as a factory lowered earlier model.&nbsp;

Hominid

Post by Hominid »

RTman10 wrote: Just be aware that a pre LC bike with a low seat is 10mm higher. In fact the LC can be the same height as a factory lowered earlier model.
Yeah, that's true - good point.
10mm doesn't sound like much, but when you're right on the edge it can make a big difference.
Tough finding the right bike when you're a short guy and not inclined to riding cruisers :-)
-----> Beemer Noob <-----
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Owned a total,of 3 pre LC RTs.&nbsp; All had the low seat but with the last I put on the Comfort seat that increased the height from 770mm to 775.&nbsp; Even that made quite a difference to my stunted 29" reach.&nbsp; After 3 1/2 years with only 750"" on a 1600 the LC initially felt tall but of course feather weight.&nbsp;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
am4862

Post by am4862 »

I had my 2007 RT seat reshape by Tony Archer. It cost about £30 and he managed to do it and keep the heated panel intact.... http://tonyarcher.co.uk/ he can be a grumpy old sod but he's bloody good at what he does...