Trident and Garmin

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
BeeJay

Trident and Garmin

Post by BeeJay »

Does any one know if Garmin supply the GPS software to the Trident missile system?
My Nav V, and the 660 previously has sent me in the wrong direction a few times.

8)

Jacksnipe

Re: Trident and Garmin

Post by Jacksnipe »

Beejay, None of your sodding business, we regularly test the system, now go away you nasty little man !not
Jacksnipe
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

BeeJay wrote: ..... My Nav V, and the 660 previously has sent me in the wrong direction a few times.
8)
Agreed.

I was using my new Nav V yesterday and although it always selected a route which would get me to my chosen destination that's not to say it didn't send me in the wrong direction. On local roads which I knew there were quicker / easier routes than the way Nav V wanted to take me. In some cases it didn't even agree with roadside signposts. Which makes me wonder if, when in some far- flung corner of Eastern Europe, it always takes me the quickest or easiest route. I suspect not. 🙄

There's a Nav VI on the way which apparently has all kinds of new extra features but I suspect I would swap all these features and more just to know that when I want a satnav to get me where I want by quickest / easiest means then it does just that.  😡
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Time to buy a road map then. I recall selling a Nav 3.  10 minutes later he was back saying it was defective and he wanted s refund. 
" It took me straight on at the first roundabout but I always take the third exit "
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

BeeJay wrote: Does any one know if Garmin supply the GPS software to the Trident missile system?
My Nav V, and the 660 previously has sent me in the wrong direction a few times.

8)

To save money they used Tom Tom software 🤐😀
GJ-MOTO
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I hate relying solely on the Nav, especially when I'm in new territory. Will usually mapquest it and get a general idea of the route to balance it against what the Nav is telling me to do.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Can't agree with that.  I never carry maps or study a route in advance.  Just press go and hope for the best.  Far more fun.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

RTman10 wrote: Can't agree with that.  I never carry maps or study a route in advance.  Just press go and hope for the best.  Far more fun.

But then you miss all the fun you would have had on the detours to the interesting places you find on a map. Still that reminds me a bit of Columbus. He set out not knowing where he was going, didn't know where he was when he got there and came back not knowing where he had been.  :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Who told you my middle name.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Can't agree with that.  I never carry maps or study a route in advance.  Just press go and hope for the best.  Far more fun.

+1, although being in Europe its probably easier than in the States, Having a map is useful sometimes, but you can always get the map up on your phone. Although if over the channel I do carry a map, having had a sat nav failure once. That was my fault, updated my maps and they screwed up on the 660, off I went to Calais only to find I only had the basic maps and had to navigate with my son reading a map on the pillion. Now always check, prior planning prevents etc etc :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Had that last year.  One of our group asked me if I knew how to get maps into his Nav as it was empty.  When I enquirer how he had got all the way to Luxembourg without it.  Followed the bike in front of me. 
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

When I first started Euro touring with a bunch of pals, most had GPSs of different makes mounted on various Ram mounts and the devices never agreed on a route, when you reached a junction the Autocom radios ( this was a very long time ago) were buzzing with ' mine says left here'  'no mine says right' At least now with everyone on Nav 4 or 5 there is no disagreement.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

blokeonthemove wrote: ..... At least now with everyone on Nav 4 or 5 there is no disagreement.

I'm afraid that is not the case. On European trips with my brother, both using nav4, we saw regular differences of opinion from them. We just agreed to go with whoever was leading at the time.
For main roads, and particularly when heading for a major city, I prefer to follow road signs.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The bit I don't get is when going to an address the sat nav takes you one way, then when you leave it wants to take you another, why not the same route home  8)  This doesn't have anything to do with traffic. Guess could always use trackback, if it works!
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I'd forgotten that any 2 GPS units would have to have the same parameters set like fastest route shortest, curvy roads etc before they would give the same route. But it did used to be way worse !