2016 R1200RT Mini USB cord

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Fiveoh018

2016 R1200RT Mini USB cord

Post by Fiveoh018 »

I picked up my new R1200RT on saturday and when the guy was flying through the features he got to the USB plug in the glove box on the right side of the gas tank and he said something about I should buy the BMW mini USB cord for me to take advantage of this. From what I understand this mini USB is like a hundred bucks. Won't my plug from my iPod and iPhone work just as well?
PMB
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 2016 R1200RT Mini USB cord

Post by richardbd »

Nope.  The correct connector has both a lightning and a 3.5mm connection.

Better idea is just to put your music (mp3 format) onto a USB stick and plug that directly into the bike...
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

Fiveoh018 wrote: I picked up my new R1200RT on saturday and when the guy was flying through the features he got to the USB plug in the glove box on the right side of the gas tank and he said something about I should buy the BMW mini USB cord for me to take advantage of this. From what I understand this mini USB is like a hundred bucks. Won't my plug from my iPod and iPhone work just as well?
Check Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/Moonet-Interface ... ipod+cable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hominid

Post by Hominid »

richardbd wrote: Nope. The correct connector has both a lightning and a 3.5mm connection.
Better idea is just to put your music (mp3 format) onto a USB stick and plug that directly into the bike...
Is there anything special that needs to be done in terms of folder arrangement on the USB stick?

I plugged a USB stick in the other night for the first time and found that the bike saw each of my music folders, but only played the first song in each folder and then skipped to the next folder. It's basically just a bunch of live concert rips from various bands in individual folders all contained in the top level folder called "Music".

I suspect that it's because the stick has one top level folder that contains multiple albums/folders that are all subfolders. For some reason it doesn't like the subfolders? I was not able to figure out how to get all the songs from any given subfolder to play in sequence. Not sure if this is covered in the manual because, of course, I'm naturally lazy  :alas:

I haven't taken the time yet to create a new music stick without that top level folder and  just wondering if anyone else has stumbled into the same issue.
-----> Beemer Noob <-----
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Fiveoh018 wrote: .... From what I understand this mini USB is like a hundred bucks. Won't my plug from my iPod and iPhone work just as well?

Will it work ? - yes, probably.&nbsp; Will it work just as well ? - unfortunately, probably not.
But, if you already have a lead which looks as if it will do the job then try it. It probably won't do any harm and may work. Probably intermittently. I don't know why and neither does my brother who used a cheap version sourced from eBay then finally gave in and bought the BMW version. Then it worked ALL the time !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

The USB stick is the answer just arrange the music to be all in one folder as MP3s the titles come up on the dashboard, simples!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I totally agree, USB stick loaded with MP3 . If you must buy a cable go to a Mini showroom.&nbsp; Same cable, half the price apparently
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I bought the Mini cable and it is working fine. I have it connected up to an old '4th generation' iPod.

Regarding the USB, it should work fine with the tracks in folders as that's what I did until I got the iPod cable. You are pressing the 'Mode' button and selecting the album you want to play?
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X