Getting her on

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BeeJay

Re: Getting her on

Post by BeeJay »

"Swing leg over top box"
Yep, my wife does that as she has trouble sliding her foot over the seat.
Like you I brace myself, brake on and as a precaution have the side stand down, just in case.
One very important thing we do is that she will not attempt to get on or off the bike untill she gets a positive "OKAY"
from me.
She is about 5ft 4ins, agile and fit but just has a problem lifting her foot high enough to get it over the seat.
On occasions we have used the Anne on first, bike on side stand and then she slides back onto the pillion seat.

timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I generally mount the bike first.  She then grabs my left shoulder, puts left foot on pillion peg, and then slips right foot between me and the top box.  What is important is that she moves quickly once she starts the mounting process, do *not* delay once her weight is on the peg.

One piece of advice.  Keep the side-stand in the down position, even though you have the bike balanced and no weight on it.  My pillion once decided to pause on the left peg too long and I couldn't keep the bike up.  A sudden increase of 150lbs on the left peg was more than my leg could hold and we went down.  If I had left the side-stand in the down position it would have stopped us from falling.  No injuries to the bike or us, but it was a bit of embarrassment I could have lived without.
BMW MOA #210438
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I luckily married the 'perfect pillion'.. She 4' 10" and only 7 stone..

She gets on easier than I do!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

For those of you considering getting the wife on the back for the first time.  If you have the 49 lt box and are considering fitting it with the GTL backrest  to make her feel extra secure, it will then be impossible to get on with the leg over the box method .
We discovered that when swapping to a K.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sullivj wrote: I luckily married the 'perfect pillion'.. She 4' 10" and only 7 stone..

She gets on easier than I do!

+1, my good lady is 5ft 1 and 8 stone, so also never had an issue with any bikes. She is also very fit and supple. But don't tell anyone i said so, or I would have to disconnect my intercom :)
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

My wife does exactly the same as Mikes. the only minor difference is that i ask her to keep the torso over the centre of the bike so she does not have left foot on footrest and weight all on left side.

There is of course the threat that if she marks the panniers that I will divorce her, until she reminds me that i can't cook, fair point

Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Sullivj wrote: I luckily married the 'perfect pillion'.. She 4' 10" and only 7 stone..

If that's the case, no need to bugger about with different methods, just get her to climb in the top box ......... :alas:
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Well done clever bee, best giggle I've had this year.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Cleverbee wrote:
If that's the case, no need to bugger about with different methods, just get her to climb in the top box ......... :alas:

I'll suggest it.. If you never hear from me again, you know it didn't go down well...!
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

Problem solved
Attachments
IMG_1202.JPG