FAREWELL

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: FAREWELL

Post by guest2360 »

Remember the £300 odd per year includes BMW Emergency Breakdown Europe wide which is probably worth about £100 a year.  I know someone will tell me they get it for nothing from somewhere.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

RTman10 wrote: Remember the £300 odd per year includes BMW Emergency Breakdown Europe wide which is probably worth about £100 a year. I know someone will tell me they get it for nothing from somewhere.
My insurance company currently covers this.  But you are right, if they didn't that cost would also have to be taken into account.   
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Mine does too. Carole Nash provides me with both UK and Europe breakdown assistance and recovery included in my Comprehensive Policy all for £149. (One of the benefits of being old !!)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Our Gee wrote: Mine does too. Carole Nash provides me with both UK and Europe breakdown assistance and recovery included in my Comprehensive Policy all for £149. (One of the benefits of being old !!)

Thats cheap, I thought at approaching 60 I was getting old, but my insurance isn't that cheap. How old is your bike :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

£149.  What's the catch, £1000 excess,
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

As one who has just passed the magic 60 rubicon, just re-insured mine with IAM Surety (after a little argy bargy) for £160, incl legal expenses cover.  No breakdown cover, but the bike's still in warranty.  Excess £250+£100 voluntary.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: As one who has just passed the magic 60 rubicon, just re-insured mine with IAM Surety (after a little argy bargy) for £160, incl legal expenses cover.  No breakdown cover, but the bike's still in warranty.  Excess £250+£100 voluntary.

I'm with Surety, my 2014 cost me £173 with a £100 excess, and I'm 59 :(
Last edited by Casbar on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I refuse to say what mine is except I'm with BMW.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I refuse to say what mine is except I'm with BMW.

Lol, but you are ancient, so they are probably paying you to ride and for being an ambassador  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Rumbled at last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
F800GT

Post by F800GT »

Casbar wrote:
The worst model was a brand new CVO Road King, 26k worth of Harley Iron. Issues over two years: The day it was delivered I took it for a ride, went to fill it up and couldn't turn the engine off. It was keyless and only had a kill switch, which didn't work. Off to the dealership and yes the switch was knackered. 8 weeks for a replacement, so had to either kick the stand down in gear to kill the engine or stall it  8)  Then there were 4 recalls in 4 months for hydraulic clutch issues, cables routed wrong under the tank which could cause fire. Rear sprocket replaced as the paint peeled off. Gear change linkage replaced, chrome flaked off. Fuel gauge surround replaced, chrome flaked off. Grips replaced twice due to chrome peeling off. As soon as the 2 year warranty was up, Recall to replace the pannier zeus fasteners as they were prone to falling off (I replaced mine with after market bolts).  Paint dulled on rack (which was a £200 extra).

You really had to have the bike remapped and fitted with a decent exhaust to free up the engine and allow it to breath properly, so if every buying a Harley, get one that someone has already done at least a stage 1 tune and bought all the goodies.

You didn't get any help once the warranty was up.

Saying all that though it was a great bike, weighed a ton and went quite we'll. Rally liked it, but the BMW is in a different class. Had both for a while and never rode the Harley.
Thank very much you for sharing. That's good to know. I would not be very happy to buy a brand new bike and having the stated problems. Not being able to ride due to mechanical problems and recalls is one kind of pain. The other kind is looking at the paint peeling off and at the chrome flaking off on an expensive premium motorcycle is certainly not fun.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

RTman10 wrote: £149.  What's the catch, £1000 excess,
My excess is rather a bit steep at £400 but in my judgement and my claims record this is the way I prefer to go. (Touch Wood !!)
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Casbar wrote:
Thats cheap, I thought at approaching 60 I was getting old, but my insurance isn't that cheap. How old is your bike :)
Bike is a 2013 Twincam. Incidentally I have been with Carole Nash for the last five years and one of the big attractions is the "included" Breakdown / Recovery.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

One of the main reasons I have stick with BMW insurance is because I know if the worse happens it will be repaired by a BMW dealer.  I have seen many bikes that have been sent through what the trade call an approved repairer and I for sure would not ride them. 

simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote: One of the main reasons I have stick with BMW insurance is because I know if the worse happens it will be repaired by a BMW dealer.  I have seen many bikes that have been sent through what the trade call an approved repairer and I for sure would not ride them. 

I never thought for one second you'd be insured with anyone less!  :))
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)