Rear brake pads?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PatriotBMW

Rear brake pads?

Post by PatriotBMW »

My rear pads are about done after 21k miles on my 2014.  Anyone recommend a replacement set?  Was looking at EBC but can't seem to figure out which ones will fit properly.  Thanks in advance!
2014 R1200RT
guest2360

Re: Rear brake pads?

Post by guest2360 »

The same ones again.  EBC might give you half that and damage the disc.  21K in my eyes is a lot for the rear.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: The same ones again.  EBC might give you half that and damage the disc.  21K in my eyes is a lot for the rear.

Why would EBC damage the discs? If you bought pads with the same material, i.e. organic or sintered, there would be no damage to the discs.

You may find they won't last as long, but that would be down to material, some pads will provide more feel and wear more than OEM, different material will last longer. Pads are pads, there are no magic make ups. Personally I would probably buy OEM to save messing around  8)
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

21K is a good result for rear pads, I will need some soon! Last time I replaced mine with OEM I got them from Nippy Normans, any other good places people know? Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Why would EBC damage the discs? If you bought pads with the same material, i.e. organic or sintered, there would be no damage to the discs.
Might be the same quoted materiels but in what quantities.  EBC we all know wear much quicker suggesting they are not the same.  I have seen excessive wear on discs that we could only put down to pattern pads. 
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

RT man..  Do you have a dislike of the quote function on here?  I start to read your message, and then realise that you're quoting someone above.. Why not use the quote button and properly attribute it to them?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yep Why not.  Next time.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Peter Baker wrote: 21K is a good result for rear pads, I will need some soon! Last time I replaced mine with OEM I got them from Nippy Normans, any other good places people know? Peter

Try Motorworks. I have EBC FA209/2HH fitted to my rear LC brakes. I have kept a note of disk thickness to see if they cause excessive wear. My results are that the disc has worn less then the OEM pads. I think there is a lot of crap people talk about with regards pads. Just make sure what ever you decide on that they are the genuine manufactures pads and not some cheap copy off eBay. Also if the bike is to be used on the road then buy pads suitable for road use. Lastly BMW do not make pads. Brembo make them. I really can see absolutely no reason to pay twice as much for BMW marketed pads to get a box with BMW on it which gets chucked away. :)

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: I have seen excessive wear on discs that we could only put down to pattern pads. 

Maybe its the way people ride.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote:
Maybe its the way people ride.

Or using the wrong pad compound. I used to use Pagit pads on our race car and you had to be careful on which ones went on the front and rear as you don't want to over brake the rear. If you have the correct compound and pick road pads, you should have no issue whatsoever with disc wear.
edzt

Post by edzt »

Casbar wrote: Or using the wrong pad compound. I used to use Pagit pads on our race car and you had to be careful on which ones went on the front and rear as you don't want to over brake the rear. If you have the correct compound and pick road pads, you should have no issue whatsoever with disc wear.
Should not be a problem with ABS......... EBC FA209/2HH are great pads
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

For the life of me I cannot fathom why having spent up to £16K on an RT you would want to save a few quid on something as vital as brake pads.  Luggage, additional lights etc yes.  Brakes, no chance.  I do not believe that something costing nearly half what the original part cost is going to be the same quality, packaging or not.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Over the years I have tried EBC a few times and they sucked in every application I used them in car or Motorcycle.

I call them vapor ware as they go away so fast it is like they are made out of vapor and just blow away.

Here is what it means to me, if you can buy the EBC for half the price of OEM but they only last half as long what do you gain?

You loose!  You have to do twice the work, installing two sets of EBC, to 1 set of OEM.

Run what you want it is your money, but for me in brake pads only, I run OEM.  The longevity is there and proven and no worries on any compound type for your rotor. 

I was surprised to read that RT goes through rear pads pretty quickly.  I then made a conscious effort to lessen my trail braking and concentrate using front and rear brakes together as much as I can. 
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Personally I've never had an issue with EBC pads or disks and have run them on several bikes and cars over the years, but everyone has a different riding / driving style and this will of course have an impact on the wear regardless of which manufacturer you opt for so it's no suprise that everyone will have a different experiance of the same brand.

However as another option I'm pretty sure that it's Brembo that actually manufacture the pads for BMW so might be worth looking at the price of Brembo pads if you want the same / similar product ?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There is nothing wrong with OEM pads, but its not about longevity of pads is it? Its about the best brake pad compound and performance, and if EBC wear quicker they are probably a different compound and performing differently. There are pads out there that are more expensive than OEM, again doesn't make them worse or better, You can buy Brembo pads without the BMW badge on the box, which are exactly the same and are slightly cheaper  8)