Priority a droit whilst motorcycling in France

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Liverpool Brick

Priority a droit whilst motorcycling in France

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Hi each,
I've planned a trip from Northern Ireland to southern Spain via France and I'm interested in riders experience of the priority from the right phenomenon practised in France. Now, I understand how it works and the different road signs but what's it like to experience on a bike? It sounds dreadful - the idea that someone can whizz out of a side turning and you have to slow down for them! What's your story?
Cheers, Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
guest2360

Re: Priority a droit whilst motorcycling in France

Post by guest2360 »

I doubt you will ever come across it on the open road any more.  In the back roads in towns at junctions or side roads just watch out for no signs.
Si_Burnout

Post by Si_Burnout »

Also if you come up to an intersection and you're not sure you have the right of way make sure to slow down. Better be safe than sorry.
I live in Belgium myself and it happens a lot that they think they can just squeeze in. It's not the best way to test your brakes
Live to ride and ride to live.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: I doubt you will ever come across it on the open road any more.  In the back roads in towns at junctions or side roads just watch out for no signs.
+1
The French have finally  been pulled into line after many years. As RTman10 says just watch out when going thru villages. They don't seem to have caught on yet!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've ridden (and driven) in France most years for the last 30 years and, while I've always been aware of the "priorite a droite" system, it's never been a problem. In the early days, when the system was changing on roundabouts there were signs on the approach to the roundabout meaning "you do not have priority" (ie NO priorite a droite) and that used to cause confusion with people who had been used to driving straight on to a roundabout not wanting to change. This is not generally a problem today so, if you're looking for advice, see the above posts from Si_Burnout and RTman10 - basically just be cautious.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Couple of other things to be aware of. The practice of not indicating intentions at roundabouts and junctions, which is getting worse here in the UK is very much the case in France, so another thing to be aware of. Also with roundabouts in particular you will soon notice that the French build in an adverse camber i.e., built in lean angle. So be aware especially in wet and slippy conditions.
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Thanks Guys,
Your replies are in line with what I suspected - its less of a problem than it used to be but its worth being cautious in rural areas especially villages.
Thanks for all your input and I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers,
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Our Gee wrote: Couple of other things to be aware of. The practice of not indicating intentions at roundabouts and junctions, which is getting worse here in the UK is very much the case in France, so another thing to be aware of. Also with roundabouts in particular you will soon notice that the French build in an adverse camber i.e., built in lean angle. So be aware especially in wet and slippy conditions.
I echo what others have said but especially this post re the reverse camber on roundabouts - add in some overbanding and it's an interesting experience - you lean as you think you need to on a British roundabout but then find you need a whole lot more!
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

I've ridden for many years in france and can agree with all the above comments.
You'll usually only see the prioritie droit signs in small towns/villages. Just slow down on approach they'll cause you no problem.
Roundabouts are hazardous, lack of indication, being in the wrong lane for exit and very fast approaches by some can cause problems. Once again, slow down you'll be fine.
One other thing to be wary of is French riders. They tend to be "loopy"!!
They'll overtake on blind bends, they may even pass you on the inside of a single track road and they often use excessive, inappropriate speed.

All that said, if you ride carefully the roads in france (outside of the cities) offer some excellent riding. Enjoy ;)
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I have ridden in France for many years and find them to be the most bike friendly in Europe, they will give you loads of room to overtake, even the cyclists seem to like motos. The Swiss however will happily push you off a mountain rather than allow you to exceed a speed limit.!
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

blokeonthemove wrote: I have ridden in France for many years and find them to be the most bike friendly in Europe, they will give you loads of room to overtake, even the cyclists seem to like motos. The Swiss however will happily push you off a mountain rather than allow you to exceed a speed limit.!
Generally speaking I would agree with these comments regarding "Bike Friendly" France and I myself love riding in France. However, not all French drivers are aware of Motorcyclists vulnerability. On more than one occasion I have had some jerk literally sitting on my rear number plate (and I mean 10 feet behind) at 130kph trying to intimidate me into pulling into a gap to allow him to proceed on his own selfish passage down the fast lane.
Last edited by Our Gee on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Our Gee wrote: .....  On more than one occasion I have had some jerk literally sitting on my rear number plate (and I mean 10 feet behind) at 130kph trying to intimidate me into pulling into a gap to allow him to proceed on his own selfish passage down the fast lane.

I don't understand why you would want to impede someone in the overtaking lane.  Why not pull into a gap before he gets within 10 feet ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

gogs01 wrote:
I don't understand why you would want to impede someone in the overtaking lane.  Why not pull into a gap before he gets within 10 feet ?

It,s not a case of me wanting to impede someone. When I am in the process of carrying out an overtake of a very long line of slower traffic such as 15 or 20 trucks which is quite common on French auto routes the last thing I need is and as I said above some impatient jerk trying to intimidate me into pulling over into a sometimes non existent gap. And in any case, it,s the duty of the driver behind to maintain a safe gap between vehicles, not the driver or rider in front. Incidentally it,s not only French drivers who are guilty of this practice. The Belgians are also very good at it.
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

gogs01 wrote: I don't understand why you would want to impede someone in the overtaking lane. Why not pull into a gap before he gets within 10 feet ?
Picture this scenario. In the distance you see a coach following a lorry at 100 kph in lane 1. You are in lane 2 in a line of 5 vehicles maintaining a 1.5 - 2 second gap at 120 kph - waiting patiently to pass said coach. A Peugeot 3008 (why is it always a Peugeot?) pulls up 10 feet behind you. If you pull in, you will not be able to pull out again because there will not be safe gap to do so (you have been looking in your mirrors). The Peugeot will only gain enough ground to tuck in 10 feet behind the guy in front of me.
I don't think I am impeding him - I think he is driving dangerously close.
What would you do when driving a) a car? b) a motorcycle with your child on the back?
John Bentall
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

"Tailgating" is a serious problem on French motorways. Part of the problem is they seem incapable of maintaining steady speed. You'll often be overtaken then further up the road the same vehicle is travelling much slower.
Also, if you leave a safe gap while overtaking then someone will use it!
You get used to it... :alas: