Darla Lights

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
paulgelineau

Darla Lights

Post by paulgelineau »

Hi all;
Looking at the purchase of a set of Darla LED lights from Clearwater for my 2015 1200RT. Thinking of using the BMW engine mounting configuration. We have lots of deer here in the Okanogan Highlands of WA. State, USA and the side lighting, not to mention the distance lighting would be a real plus seeing those critters. As the WA. State BMW Riders Assoc. says: "Must make it to camp before the damn deer come out!!"
Thoughts, experience with the lights, mounting configurations, etc?
I know the price tag is about $899 US but certainly would be worth it if I can spot them well in advance. I know, it's the ones that you don't see that get ya. However, if I can improve the odds......
Cheers from the Okanogan Highlands of Washington State, USA. (a great place to tour).
Paul G.
kiki

Re: Darla Lights

Post by kiki »

I mounted mine on the engine-- 2016RT. They work great, and the installation was a snap. I would recommend getting the slip-on accessory amber lenses.
The brackets that are supplied with the kit are actual BMW OEM parts-- the same that are used for the BMW accessory driving lamps.

Many will challenge the 900 price, but the top build quality, exceptional performance, and not having to clip a wire on the bike and integrating into the wheel is worth a lot to me.
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

When you say 'on the engine' - do you mean on the engine crash bars? I only see the fork and crash bar options on their site.

Thanks
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

nh_handyman wrote: When you say 'on the engine' - do you mean on the engine crash bars? I only see the fork and crash bar options on their site.

Thanks
They have undermirror brackets also which look great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
paulgelineau

Post by paulgelineau »

The mounting location for the light brackets are directly on the engine cases.  That's for my 2015RT.  Might be different for earlier or later models.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The OEM lighting brackets on the LC were stolen from the 20011-13 K1600. And yes fix directly to the engine.  They are incredibly strong.  I dropped my GTL which had no crash bars no the bracket stopped the engine touching down. Never even scratched it.
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

Thanks - I need to get some nighttime driving in with the bike before I make a choice on what I need for aux lighting and mounting locations.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have recently fitted a set of Darla lights. They were mighty expensive, especially as I had to pay the UK VAT (which I was not aware of) and that added £107 to the already high price.

However, the lights were relatively easy to fit.  The Can Opener went easily into the tail unit and the BMW original fog light brackets went on without a hitch.  The only issue I had was with the wiring.  Clearwater say that you should use a zip tie and fix the relay onto a fork leg or frame bar, however there is a multitude of wiring that goes with it and there is no suggestion where this should go.

I ended up routing the cables from the lights up the frame legs and across the frame bracket into the fairing below the clocks.  I ran the cable from the Can opener (together with the battery connections) also across the fairing bracket and below the clocks.  I do not have the radio system on my RT so there is space where the speakers should go.  I ran all the cables into this space and mounted the relay onto a spare bracket.  I did not use the supplied cable connectors, instead I soldered all of the connections and then I covered all of the wiring in silicon tape to keep it waterproof.

One small down side is that when I switched everything on and the lights worked perfectly, my service warning came on.  i am presuming that this might be a start up glitch with the Can opener and means a trip to the local dealer to reset it.
Last edited by Taz on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Taz wrote: I have recently fitted a set of Darla lights. They were mighty expensive, especially as I had to pay the UK VAT (which I was not aware of) and that added £107 to the already high price.

However, the lights were relatively easy to fit.  The Can Opener went easily into the tail unit and the BMW original fog light brackets went on without a hitch.  The only issue I had was with the wiring.  Clearwater say that you should use a zip tie and fix the relay onto a fork leg or frame bar, however there is a multitude of wiring that goes with it and there is no suggestion where this should go.

I ended up routing the cables from the lights up the fork legs and across the frame bracket into the fairing below the clocks.  I ran the cable from the Can opener (together with the battery connections) also across the fairing bracket and below the clocks.  I do not have the radio system on my Rt so there is space where the speakers should go.  I ran all the cables into this space and mounted the relay onto a spare bracket.  I did not use the supplied cable connectors, instead I soldered all of the connections and then I covered all of the wiring in silicon tape to keep it waterproof.

One small down side is that when I switched everything on and the lights worked perfectly, my service warning came on.  i am presuming that this might be a start up glitch with the Can opener and means a trip to the local dealer to reset it.
The service light may have come on as a result of disconnecting the battery.  I have heard this can happen, and that you reset the clock to make it go away.  Or if the bike has the Nav sync'd to the bike, allow it to set the clock.
BMW MOA #210438
Taz

Post by Taz »

Thanks timminator, just checked and indeed it was the date issue as you said.  All is now fine.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Taz wrote:

I ended up routing the cables from the lights up the frame legs and across the frame bracket into the fairing below the clocks.  I ran the cable from the Can opener (together with the battery connections) also across the fairing bracket and below the clocks.  I do not have the radio system on my RT so there is space where the speakers should go.  I ran all the cables into this space and mounted the relay onto a spare bracket.  I did not use the supplied cable connectors, instead I soldered all of the connections and then I covered all of the wiring in silicon tape to keep it waterproof.
I have a set of Erica lights, but ran into those same challenges with the wiring.  Ended up putting the relay in the "birds nest" just as the instructions said, but found you need to be a contortionist and have 5 hands to do that.  A few swears later and the job was done.  Good idea on sealing the connections.  Most of them were plug-n-play, but I was concerned about the data cable where it connects to the relay.  Not 100% sure that's water tight.
BMW MOA #210438
paulgelineau

Post by paulgelineau »

Just completed the Darla installs on my 2015 R1200RT and my wife's 2014 F800GT.  Talk about BRIGHT!  No issues lighting the road for a great distance ahead and to the sides as well.  They also serve to make one very visible to traffic, especially with the optional amber covers in daytime.  Complete brightness adjustment with the "Wonder Wheel".  Most difficult part of both installs was removing and replacing the fairings.  Great instructions & plenty of wire length for mounting.  Mounted mine to the engine using BMW fog light brackets and fork mounting for the F800GT using the lower front fender screws.  They are not inexpensive but one pays for quality and technology.  Now I'll really be able to see the deer I'm about to hit.  But hopefully will be able to avoid.
Cheers, Paul Gelineau