Keyless ride - emergency key

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Keyless ride - emergency key

Post by timminator »

RTman10 wrote: So there is yet another advantage to not having keyless.  You get two keys and no batteries.  And in my case 2 fods for the Alarm/central locking. And I haven't got that horrible lump of plastic stuck on top of the fork bridge.
You make a good point, but it seems keyless is the way of the future.  Can't hardly buy a car anymore with real keys, and I suspect bikes will follow suit eventually.  I do enjoy the convenience, and not have key rings flapping around, scratching other components.  Both options come with some trade-offs.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Me think on bikes it's just a gimmick too far.  In cars when it's linked to no keys to open the door etc maybe but on a bike you are just replacing one action with another one.  I have had both and I'm glad it's gone. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Me think on bikes it's just a gimmick too far.  In cars when it's linked to no keys to open the door etc maybe but on a bike you are just replacing one action with another one.  I have had both and I'm glad it's gone. 

On balance, I tend to agree.

I had it on my Multistrada.  Went back to keys on the RT with remote alarm (LOVE the central locking though) and now back to keyless on the GS. 

I'm still not sure I really understand the problem it's trying to solve...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So that I think is two things you prefer on the RT over your GS.  Find a couple more and you will be returning to the light side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timminator

Post by timminator »

richardbd wrote:
I'm still not sure I really understand the problem it's trying to solve...
I see it as merely a convenience, not so much a problem to solve.  Same reasoning that led to central locking, over individually managing 4-5 different locks.
Last edited by timminator on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438