Hi from Canada. Net New 17 R1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Twodog

Hi from Canada. Net New 17 R1200RT

Post by Twodog »

Hi,
New to the community, just getting back into riding after a a bit of a hiatus.  Soo... my wife got me a brand spanking new 2017 Alpine White R1200RT,  :wonder: :wonder: totally stoked, birthday present.  My last ride was a 09 750 GSXR.  Very different rides.  I haven't even taken the RT for a test ride before.  It's winter here in Canada and I haven't even plated the bike yet, it was in the garage as a surprise after a we came home from vacation.  Super stoked.

I've got it up on the center stand now and a small mat under the front tire and I've got a battery tender on it as I probably wont be able to ride it for at least another 6-8 weeks.  Hell, I still need to buy a helmet, but I've got some old Dainese gear left over, hopefully it fits  :alas: .  We're heading to Germany end of April Frankfurt and I was thinking of picking up the new System 7 helmet if it's available with the communicator, super stoked. 

I've got my old 660 Garmin which fits into the GPS mount but not sure it's worth the new Nav 6 for wonder wheel control, man this bike has so much stuff on it, so much electronics.  I understand the the Bluetooth is tuned on when the speakers are turned off but can I BT my iphone to the bike without linking to a helmet or a GPS??

Just wanted to say Hi as it appears a lot of riders here are from the UK.

Cheers,
Two
Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23
mitcher16

Re: Hi from Canada. Net New 17 R1200RT

Post by mitcher16 »

Welcome fellow Canadian!
That is quite the surprise from the wife. I imagine your jaw hit the ground, I know mine would.
I haven't seen the white RT in person yet but I imagine it is sweet. I have a white Triumph Bonneville as well that looks amazing, just not a lot of white bikes out there.

Enjoy the new ride, you will love it.
Cheers.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Welcome to the forum!  Yes, most on the forum are UK, but still plenty in the states and Canada.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome.  If it's 6 weeks before you can get it out the garage that gives you just about enough time to read through the manual.  When you have you will be much wiser than most of us here who never bother.  And no you can only link your phone to your GPS or headset. 
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Welcome to the forum Twodog, nice friendly folk around here, well most are anyway. Be warned, Dainese gear has been known to shrink at least two sizes over the Christmas holiday period !!.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Wish they had white in 15 sweet color, consider the Bmw nav VI coming out this month
As for helmet, I've had a Schubert C3 for the last three years, it's quite and comfortable, that said the C4 is do out very soon and comes ready for the Schubert communications system. A pair of Skene design P3 lights in the back and your set
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Do a good bit of research on comms before dishing out cash.  The BT on your bike will only fully connect with the BMW gear if you are two up. There is lots of info here on all the alternatives.
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

Our Gee wrote: Welcome to the forum Twodog, nice friendly folk around here, well most are anyway. Be warned, Dainese gear has been known to shrink at least two sizes over the Christmas holiday period !!.

Hehe ... at least two sizes.  Great stuff, but so true.  I'm thinking I'm looking to mode go more GoreTex type, hopefully will find something when I'm in Germany.
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

timminator wrote: Welcome to the forum!  Yes, most on the forum are UK, but still plenty in the states and Canada.

Thank you and Cheers.
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

T6pilot wrote: Wish they had white in 15 sweet color, consider the Bmw nav VI coming out this month
As for helmet, I've had a Schubert C3 for the last three years, it's quite and comfortable, that said the C4 is do out very soon and comes ready for the Schubert communications system. A pair of Skene design P3 lights in the back and your set

Yea love the color, maybe not so much the bug guts :)  Is the C4 equivalent to the System 7? Man, used to have a couple of old Arai's Corsair's I thought those were expensive.  Forgot how expensive the hobby is in general.  I know not of these Skene P3 lights you speak off, off to search the web.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Twodog wrote: Soo... my wife got me a brand spanking new 2017 Alpine White R1200RT,  :wonder: :wonder: totally stoked, birthday present. 

Amazing birthday present.

I got slippers...
kiki

Post by kiki »

Welcome from an east coast Canadian. As mentioned, take the time to read the manual. Youll love the bike, as will she if she rides with you.
And don't be afraid of spending the extra dough on BMW accessories. They are worth the extra ( this from a tightwad).
CraigST

Post by CraigST »

Good day, eh?  Welcome to the club.
I picked up a 2016 RTW in San Marino Blue when the dealer put it on clearance at the beginning of February.  Haven't hit 1000 kms yet, but the skies over Victoria are starting to clear and sun should soon prevail.
Where are you located?

Cheers.
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

Victoria, eh?  You're on the other side dear friend.  I'm in Burlington, Ontario.  Which is close to Toronto.  Never been to BC, hear it's beautiful.

Cheers,
Two
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: And no you can only link your phone to your GPS or headset.

Welcome Two, what you can do is to move the music from the phone to a USB stick  - creating MP3 files  - and plug that into the receptacle in the right hand-glove compartment.

Have fun,

John

John Bentall