Paint/lacquer issues

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Mac77

Paint/lacquer issues

Post by Mac77 »

2nd day with my 07 R1200RT and I've found a few paint/lacquer issues... the silver 'strip' for the foot pegs has split by the pannier mounting peg. I'm assuming this can be taken off and powder coated? This has also happened with the fuel filler cap. Another issue is the black painted area around the ignition area. Looks very 'white". Can this be scraped back and painted?

Final issue is the plastic screen for for speedo. It looks like the glue has melted, run down the inside then set?! Is there a fix!

Thanks in advance for your help
Attachments
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
Taz

Re: Paint/lacquer issues

Post by Taz »

Most of the parts you describe can be rubbed down and repainted (spray preferably) or you could find somewhere local that can do this.  There are quite a few small businesses that do shot blasting and painting, and will do small parts if you ask them.  Can't give you an answer about the speedo though - not seen that before.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Thanks Taz. Ignition area I sorted with Matt hammerite. The others I'll take off and rub down and paint over Easter leave 👍
Taz

Post by Taz »

I had a R1100S Boxer Cup Replica that had some corrosion to the bottom of the fork legs - a common problem. I repainted them with Hammerite Silver spray, I think it was satin finish. The finish looked very good.

Be careful what primer you use as some look fairly innocent but if you real the label you find that the contents are very dangerous. For example, get it in your eyes and you had better get to hospital quick! Halfords sell some but in the small print it says for professional use only and with full protective gear !
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?