How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wayneosdias

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by wayneosdias »

2015 22k, only niggle is a sticky menu button when bike is cold. My 2008 suffered drivshaft issue at 24k which was $$$$
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

wayneosdias wrote: 2015 22k, only niggle is a sticky menu button when bike is cold. My 2008 suffered drivshaft issue at 24k which was $$$$

Bit of Silicon spray works wonders with the buttons and the Sat Nav button. Also good for keeping the helmet visor seals supple  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Even better fix is a new one under warranty.  It shouldn't stick unless it's defective.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

If you're referring to the bike sat nav release button, then yes, they are prone to sticking, and as you say, squirt of silicon spray sorts it out!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steve F wrote: If you're referring to the bike sat nav release button, then yes, they are prone to sticking, and as you say, squirt of silicon spray sorts it out!

No the sticking menu button. 
duegatti
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by duegatti »

Just picked up my 2016 from its 12000 mile plus annual.  They are warrantying the left side bag.  It would frequently fail to lock on the first attempt, and it was very difficult, verging on impossible, to put it back on the bike once removed.

Other than that - perfect. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

duegatti wrote: Just picked up my 2016 from its 12000 mile plus annual.  They are warrantying the left side bag.  It would frequently fail to lock on the first attempt, and it was very difficult, verging on impossible, to put it back on the bike once removed.

I had exactly the same problem.  Some silicone spay in the mechanism that fits the bag to the bike and a bit of juggling with the mounting angle cured it...
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote:
No the sticking menu button.
Regardless, the one I'm referring to still has the annoying habit of sticking!🙄
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steve F wrote: Regardless, the one I'm referring to still has the annoying habit of sticking!🙄

As the saying goes "they all do that Sir".  Well mine does occasionally.  But something like a sticking menu switch should be exchanged before any  warranty run out.  They are expensive.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, agreed, they should be replaced before warranty expires.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Just had word from my dealer that I am about to have my 4th bevel box fitted to my 2014 bike, due to paint coating failure.
A stunning bike that has performed faultlessly for 15000 miles, but the constant replacement of this part is starting to grind me down.

The fact that the item is being replaced yet again, seemingly without question, suggest to me that BMW are well aware of a fundamental issue.  However they seem unwilling to fully address the underlying problem.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

sofnolime wrote: Just had word from my dealer that I am about to have my 4th bevel box fitted to my 2014 bike, due to paint coating failure.
A stunning bike that has performed faultlessly for 15000 miles, but the constant replacement of this part is starting to grind me down.

The fact that the item is being replaced yet again, seemingly without question, suggest to me that BMW are well aware of a fundamental issue.  However they seem unwilling to fully address the underlying problem.

I was talking to a guy who works for a dealer (which I shall not name). He said BMW are struggling with paint because of the rules around the make up now due to the environmental requirements. He also mentioned Honda are struggling as well with issues with paint coming off their frames. Sounds plausible. Good that the dealer is replacing it again, many other brands would have told you to jog off :)
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Casbar wrote: I was talking to a guy who works for a dealer (which I shall not name). He said BMW are struggling with paint because of the rules around the make up now due to the environmental requirements. He also mentioned Honda are struggling as well with issues with paint coming off their frames. Sounds plausible. Good that the dealer is replacing it again, many other brands would have told you to jog off :)
Honda had this issue circa 2003 with the transition to water based paints.  I had the tank on my then new Blackbird replaced as the paint rubbed off where the tank met the seat in about two months.   
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

I think I'm unlucky. 17 months, 16k miles and so far:
- RHS switch replaced - ignition button was sticking
- LHS switch replaced - favourite button was sticking
- RHS glove box replaced - leaking
- LHS glove box replaced - loud central locking
- Gear Shift Assist Pro sensor replaced - was told it had to be done, but was almost always shifting without clutch and don't see the difference now it is replaced
- something with wiring from ignition to battery - the on board computer was resetting to factory defaults when starting the bike. I don't remember was they said they'll do, but I think they said they'll change the whole wiring (ignition-battery)
- LHS passenger foot rest replaced - was difficult to use/move it
All under warranty.

Soon will hit 18k, hopefully all will be good. Also will need to send my jacket to redo the Velcro around the neck.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's quite a unique lot of faults.  Except for the problem of the bike resetting itself on start up, the locker exchanges and the foot peg exchange I would have thought could have been fixes with s bit of grease and a new rubber seal. I think your bike is a 2014.  Some of them had a recall for the RH switch.  Yours might just hsve missed that.  Strange they should have done something to the Pro shift if you thought it was OK. You also had a front tyre issue but can't remember if you got that sorted.