How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Vince Prince

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by Vince Prince »

2016 M/Y riders seat replaced due to not heating. I am told by the service manager that the seats only work when ambient temp is lower that 7.5 degrees C. Grips work irrespective of ambient temp but that with both on they might not get quite so hot as when on independently.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't believe that.  Next time you go out on a warm sunny day put it on full and experience a BMW sauna. As for the heated grips not getting as hot if the seat is on.  They will work at their set temperatures unless the battery is lower than required.  At which time they will turn off completely.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

I did think I was being rubber dicked. Still they have fitted a new seat so we shall see. They said the old one had 'a low resistance when hooked up to the diagnostics'.
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

RTman10 wrote: the locker exchanges and the foot peg exchange I would have thought could have been fixes with s bit of grease and a new rubber seal
I've tried with copper grease, but worked only for few days. I don't expect myself to do such a thing every week on something that's still almost new.
RTman10 wrote:I think your bike is a 2014.  Some of them had a recall for the RH switch.  Yours might just hsve missed that.  Strange they should have done something to the Pro shift if you thought it was OK.
Some days after the purchase I have checked somewhere that the bike was made in August '15. I have it since Oct '15. I think they plugged in the bike and there was an error for the gearbox, otherwise it wouldn't be found
RTman10 wrote:You also had a front tyre issue but can't remember if you got that sorted.
Had that changed for new one, they didn't want to let me drive away form dealer with that tyre :D
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And the replacement has stayed in shape and worn evenly ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
daveckelley

Post by daveckelley »

6k service just completed, after skipping 600 mile. What a mistake. I have so much more power now! Like a perceivable difference... only problems so far is the wind screen doesn't retract, after turning off. They fixed it (reprogramming) but a few days later same problem. One of my cases doesn't latch on front peg. And I've had a slow leak on rear tire from day one 4-5 lbs a week. LOVE THE BIKE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R1200RT Ebony 2016
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

daveckelley wrote: 6k service just completed, after skipping 600 mile. What a mistake. I have so much more power now! Like a perceivable difference... only problems so far is the wind screen doesn't retract, after turning off. They fixed it (reprogramming) but a few days later same problem. One of my cases doesn't latch on front peg. And I've had a slow leak on rear tire from day one 4-5 lbs a week. LOVE THE BIKE!

If the pannier doesn't latch on the front peg how do you get it to lock on at all.  Normally unless it's fully seated on all three it won't lock.  Why didn't they fix it whrn you had your service along with the rear tyre. 
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

RTman10 wrote: Don't believe that.  Next time you go out on a warm sunny day put it on full and experience a BMW sauna. As for the heated grips not getting as hot if the seat is on.  They will work at their set temperatures unless the battery is lower than required.  At which time they will turn off completely.
So, for the interest of total clarity and my understanding, am I right to expect the heated seats of my 2015 RTW/C to work, like the grips do, in all ambient temps? Does the seat get hot, like the grips (five bars is too hot), or does it just get luke warm? I shall put my new seat to the test tomorrow, Cannons will be getting an arse kicking if it still does not work.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

My 2016 seat gets warm but not as hot as the grips at the same settings
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It would be impossible to work out if the grips and the seat get to the same temperature.  I suspect fingers are more sensitive to cold than your arse and  the pressure on both is of course different.  There have been occasions  when I've had to turn the seat down and likewise the grips.  At the end of the day both should keep you cosy in the cold if you wear the appropriate clothing. 

circlehappenork

RTman10 wrote: And the replacement has stayed in shape and worn evenly ?

I've done just 1k miles on new tyre and it's looking good.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

30k service and new rp4 GTA ready for Norway trip. Love the RT just want it to last forever, 2 years on and still nothing I'd rather have.

circlehappenork

Hello, sorry for digging up such an old topic, but at least here you can see previous problems with my bike. Unfortunately there were/are more issues. It's a lengthy post, so here's outline:

1. Unprofessional mechanic - screwed screw
2. Corroded muffler
3. Squeaky flap in exhaust (2nd one)
4. Front wheel alignment
5. Tyre pressure sensor error
6. Keyless fob issue

1. Last month I had 18k miles service done and the person who was doing it was rubbish. In addition to my service I'd asked to change my rear tyre. As we all know, one need to take out the exhaust to get to the wheel. This is what I have found out when I got home - http://i.imgur.com/uzyLNrb.jpg
It's not a big issue, but doing something like that it's unprofessional. I had to go back and they've replaced the bolt.

2. Secondly, the exhaust muffler itself. I've recently taken it out to give it a proper clean. This is how it looked before - http://i.imgur.com/NyTZJRf.jpg and after - http://i.imgur.com/8Fldl8d.jpg
I ride my bike everyday day in all weathers. The bike was treated with ACF-50 during winter and had a good clean after they have stopped salting the roads. I tried to clean it, but it's corroded. I wouldn't expect that from a bike that's not even 2 years old. Of course, the mechanic who was changing the rear tyre, did not mention anything to me about that. My old '01 Deauville has better looking muffler.

3. Next is that - http://i.imgur.com/xy39Kdu.jpg - I don't know how it is called, a flap in exhaust pipe. It squeaks when it is opening/closing. I have mentioned that soon after my service and they said they'll replace it...again (was changed in Dec) in October, just few days before the end of warranty.

4. Bike did not go in straight line. Basically when I was riding straight, handlebar was skewed to the right. Pulling out with handlebar straight resulted in going left. I have made a video of that, but will not post it here. Went to friendly mechanic, he said that front wheel needs alignment, at the dealer they said they have re-weighted the wheel and tightened/loosened brackets? I do not remember, but good for now.

5. Riding to work last week, and suddenly the dashboard is showing that there is no pressure in rear tyre - http://i.imgur.com/fuw3ugI.jpg
Stopped, checked, I don't have flat tyre. Started the engine, the sensor picked up correct pressure. Bizarre. Now if I bring the pressure up on the dash, for half of the time, it looks like that - http://i.imgur.com/2CYU6e9.jpg

6. Newest feature on my bike is the keyless ride. It happened for the first time last Saturday and today again. The bike won't start, like it would not sense the key, but when I pressed the buttons for central locking on my key fob, they worked.

My warranty is ending in the mid of October and having had all those issues I am considering a bike swap, because I have no idea what the future can bring next, and don't want to pay additional £50 pm for extended warranty. Am I the one that got that 1:1000 bikes that is going wrong?
ds99

Post by ds99 »

bikes are just too complex these days.

keyless ride, tyre pressure monitoring, suspension modes, riding modes, traction control etc

it's mostly completely unnecessary
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Glad to say my 16MY has been faultless so far (7000 miles).  Just had a nice long run for a few days up to northern England and the Scottish borders and it was brilliant.

My 'dog' was my 2006 1200GT.  Long line of faults, but all of them (as noted above) down to the complexity of the bike.  Things like switches, sensors, servo brakes.  All of the major oily bits were fine.