How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by smileymiley »

Casbar wrote: Quick question, has anyone had corrosion problems with the black engine. Salesman told me yesterday that they haven't seen any issues with the black running gear. But then I supposed its mostly newer models so it may have not happened yet  8)
No trouble yet on my '16 MY17, a year old now & ridden thru winter. Had bubbling on the cylinder head & swingarm on the '14 by this time. But then the '14 was a heap of s##t! See my earlier posts...
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

Casbar wrote: Quick question, has anyone had corrosion problems with the black engine. Salesman told me yesterday that they haven't seen any issues with the black running gear. But then I supposed its mostly newer models so it may have not happened yet  8)
I'll let you know :enjoying:
Dave
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Mine is the black engine / swing arm. Not spotted anything on the engine so far (although about to give it a good clean today) but as posted above I have just picked up on the first signs of corrosion on the swing-arm.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Nothing yet on mine but was wondering same question. Reason I went for latter model in first place Have done over 10,000 miles.
Last edited by BoB21 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Had the lower covers off yesterday for a full clean and application of ACF50. I had a good look while I was at it. The image below is the only corrosion I can find on the bike. So it could be worse. I will raise it with the dealer at the next service.

2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

A Question for Casbar.

Are you washing or waxing the bike with a particular product? is it in a heated garage?

I've been thinking of buying a small electric tubular greenhouse heater with the intention of leaving it at a low setting underneath the bike to see if that helps.
Dave
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

limesgmt wrote: A Question for Casbar.

Are you washing or waxing the bike with a particular product? is it in a heated garage?

I've been thinking of buying a small electric tubular greenhouse heater with the intention of leaving it at a low setting underneath the bike to see if that helps.

Nope, I bought the bike 20 months ago, it had 1.5k on the clock. It now has 13k. I am not a great polisher, so answer no, just wash it, ACF 50 the engine and swing arm in the winter, by cloth. Polish  very occasionally with Bullett polish. So guess I've been lucky
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

Casbar wrote:
Nope, I bought the bike 20 months ago, it had 1.5k on the clock. It now has 13k. I am not a great polisher, so answer no, just wash it, ACF 50 the engine and swing arm in the winter, by cloth. Polish  very occasionally with Bullett polish. So guess I've been lucky
Thanks for the prompt reply, it looks like I'll have to treat myself to some ACF 50 for the coming winter.
Dave
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Well, I was wrong.  The dealers haven't replaced the casings, they've fitted a new 'short' engine and final drive ! Happy days 😀
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

limesgmt wrote:
Yes, I use one of those as my garage can be a bit cold and damp.  I also sling a bike cover over it, the theory being that the warmth will creep up and keep everything dry.  Been doing this for years and no corrosion issues on any bike yet.
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

Sprintgull wrote: Yes, I use one of those as my garage can be a bit cold and damp.  I also sling a bike cover over it, the theory being that the warmth will creep up and keep everything dry.  Been doing this for years and no corrosion issues on any bike yet.
I didn't think of putting the cover over it, so my thanks for that idea.
I'm going to treat myself to the AC50 and a foot long tube heater for the coming winter.
Thanks gents.
Dave
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

Just been told by the dealer that the tyre pressure sensor is a consumable good (has a baterry inside) and it's not covered under the warranty. I'll have a word with the service manager there and see if he'll be honest enough to say that it could get damaged when taking off / fitting tyres as one of the members suggest earlier.

I've raised that 2 months ago together with corrosion claim which I'm still waiting for the outcome. Somewhat they seemed to forget about the sensor and mirror...
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MEM62 wrote: How many RT LC owners have had or are having issues with their bikes?

I currently have a 2012 RT and would be open to changing to the newer model but, to be honest, I am put off by the stories of corrosion, oil leaks and other issues.  Are these just so well reported that it gives a false impression of how common these problems are?

OK, mine has not been completely trouble-free but upgrading would need significant investment.   

If it were not for the number of posts you have, I would think this was a Troll posting. You have obviously not been following any of the R1200RTW (2014 - 2018) threads and websites, because if you had, you would not have posted this. These Wethead bikes have the least number of faults of all the the RT series. Most threads you see are based on trying to make Bluetooth work, or tyre choices, farkel additions, etc. There were a (very) few folk have seeps from the water pump which the owners became a tad OTT about. Also there have been cases of corrosion lifting the lacquer on engine casings and final drives. However, as to faults...well not a lot and certainly the best of the bunch.
Now, as to weather you like the styling and ergo's, that is a very different matter. I still ride my 1150 Oilhead and my Wethead, but it is my Oilhead I always look back at and feel good. Hopefully that will change towards the new kid on the block once we've done some more bonding.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
If it were not for the number of posts you have, I would think this was a Troll posting. You have obviously not been following any of the R1200RTW (2014 - 2018) threads and websites, because if you had, you would not have posted this. These Wethead bikes have the least number of faults of all the the RT series. Most threads you see are based on trying to make Bluetooth work, or tyre choices, farkel additions, etc. There were a (very) few folk have seeps from the water pump which the owners became a tad OTT about. Also there have been cases of corrosion lifting the lacquer on engine casings and final drives. However, as to faults...well not a lot and certainly the best of the bunch.
Now, as to weather you like the styling and ergo's, that is a very different matter. I still ride my 1150 Oilhead and my Wethead, but it is my Oilhead I always look back at and feel good. Hopefully that will change towards the new kid on the block once we've done some more bonding.

To be fair if you bother to check the post date, this was March 2017, so nearly a year ago. This is an old thread!
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote: To be fair if you bother to check the post date, this was March 2017, so nearly a year ago. This is an old thread!

You are right. My bad.
However, even now it holds true - apart from the corrosion on casings - these Wetheads appear to be up there with the best Japanese bike reliability.