How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
yellowjacket

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by yellowjacket »

While riding down the road on Saturday on my 2016 R1200RT,My satellite radio lost its signal. The radio went to channel 187 (the preview channel) and that's all I can get. Tried to have Sirius refresh the signal several times but no response. I get AM and FM and aux will play my music from IPhone but no satellite channels. Sirius says I need to take it to the dealer. Anyone have any ideas?
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Further to my posting #158 previously.
I now have a satisfactory result to the corrosion problem with my Sept 2014 RT.
The service man at Chester Motorrad had said that apart from the "deal" on changing the corroded parts he would investigate a px deal.
Anyway, last weekend I was offered a New RT, they would take my RT and £5k. The new one would be fully loaded as my bike is. Good job that I never got around the spraying the top box to match the Ebony.
Good resut me thinks.
:)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

BeeJay,
What did the dealer offer you in £ on the P/X because that does sound a good deal!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

BeeJay wrote: Further to my posting #158 previously.
I now have a satisfactory result to the corrosion problem with my Sept 2014 RT.
The service man at Chester Motorrad had said that apart from the "deal" on changing the corroded parts he would investigate a px deal.
Anyway, last weekend I was offered a New RT, they would take my RT and £5k. The new one would be fully loaded as my bike is. Good job that I never got around the spraying the top box to match the Ebony.
Good resut me thinks.

That sounds a phenomenal deal, kind of hope my would corrode now. A 2014 bike would only be worth 9-9.5k on trade in.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Just traded my 2014 for a new one..  My bike plus £7200
So I'd say you had a cracking deal..  Or I had a crap deal (probably the latter)  :alas:
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

We didnt talk about a px price as such, just the final figure.
At present I'm near Pidcocks at Long Eaton. I called in there to ask what px against a same spec new RT.
They initially offered £9k but went to £10k because they could source one quickly, and I told them about the corrosion.
The bike has doen about 27k miles.
Just need some half decent weather for a week to run it in.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I'm with you there,  fetched mine home and it's been parked up ever since
I'm itching to get out on it
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Bike replacement update:
Dealer has soured the replacement bike (in red) but can't get the keyless until April. That doesn't really bothe rme as I will still have my bike to ride.
He can source a keyless for collection in a couple of weeks. He was quite open and honest about preferring to do the deal this month rather than April. He offered the keyless option foc.
I'm still undecided.
I've read previous posts about keyless or key but no definitive conclusion.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Love Red, really quite jealous, great result. As to the question, had keyless on my last Harley, it was ok, but had a couple of issues, where the bike didn't recompose the fob. Also when I went on holiday I had to wrap the second fob in tin foil so the bike didn't get confused. That might (a) have been bullshit, (b) Harley only issue, but for me, personally, having a key and fob is no issue.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Would someone please explain exactly what "keyless" does.
I know the obvious start without a key. But what else does it do or not do?
Central locking, fuel filler cap, steering lock etc
Thanks
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

BeeJay wrote: Would someone please explain exactly what "keyless" does.
I know the obvious start without a key. But what else does it do or not do?
Central locking, fuel filler cap, steering lock etc .....

I have keyless and have come to like it very much.

With the key in my pocket (or wherever ...) the alarm will unset, I can unlock the steering, start the bike and ride off (unlocking or locking the panniers, filler cap and top box). With the central locking still locked I can stop for fuel - the filler cap will be unlocked automatically, and will automatically lock again after I close it.  Some other makes do keyless but still require the key for the filler cap and / or panniers.  BMW have it fully thought out. 

The alarm can be set so that it sets as I walk away after parking, then we're ready to do it all again, with the key in my pocket (or wherever ..... )

It isn't something that sells itself on a short test ride (it didn't me anyway), but the more you use it the better it gets.  It's just another one of the many things on my RT which I don't need but I really like !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

What would happen if the key fell out of your pocket (without you knowing)  say as you were on the motorway
You pull into the services for fuel so stop the engine.
Are you goosed or would the bike warn you prior to stopping the engine?
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

gogs01 wrote:
I have keyless and have come to like it very much.

With the key in my pocket (or wherever ...) the alarm will unset, I can unlock the steering, start the bike and ride off (unlocking or locking the panniers, filler cap and top box). With the central locking still locked I can stop for fuel - the filler cap will be unlocked automatically, and will automatically lock again after I close it.  Some other makes do keyless but still require the key for the filler cap and / or panniers.  BMW have it fully thought out. 

The alarm can be set so that it sets as I walk away after parking, then we're ready to do it all again, with the key in my pocket (or wherever ..... )

It isn't something that sells itself on a short test ride (it didn't me anyway), but the more you use it the better it gets.  It's just another one of the many things on my RT which I don't need but I really like !
Sorry, really can't see the point of keyless. There are numerous accounts of flat batteries/signal problems causing the bike to become immovable or unable to start. On top of that it's become a big problem in the car world where thieves detect and replicate the signal required and steal the vehicle. Give me a key any day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Maz12 wrote: What would happen if the key fell out of your pocket (without you knowing)  say as you were on the motorway
You pull into the services for fuel so stop the engine.
Are you goosed or would the bike warn you prior to stopping the engine?

it's not my place to convince anybody that keyless is a good thing, we can all choose as we like.
But .....
I have had no problems with it so far.  It's not going to fall out of my pocket (or from around my neck) while riding the bike, but if it did I would get a warning light to alert me.  The bike will continue to run but will not re-start if I choose to switch off while the key fob is missing. I can ride back to find it.  Should I be unable to find it, I can continue on my merry way using the emergency "plastic" key I carry in my wallet until I can get a replacement fob.
Of course there may be keyless users who have had or will have issues with the keyless system, but I know people who have broken or lost ignition keys, and every other part of the bike has been an issue for somebody at some time.  I'm not a subscriber to the "just something else to go wrong" school of thought.  If I was, I might have bought a Royal Enfield instead of the BMW ......
The RT is a great bike - keyed or keyless !  ;)

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Many thanks for all the comments.
Initially I thought that "keyless" just took the pace of the ignition key. I now read that it is all-encompassing.
I'm off to Chester Motorrad tomorow to have a look at a keyless bike.
Watch this space................