How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Attackpug

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by Attackpug »

Had the right saddlebag latch break.. Wonder wheel stopped working twice. That's all in 5500 miles

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: Strange how that came from a fellow cynical and sarcastic Blood biker....!!😉🤔🙂

;)  slightly off topic, we had a demo from Helite air vest guys last week, quite a few of our group are now wearing them and we have tethers being fitted to all our marked bikes.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

RTman10 wrote:
I have only heard and seen one soft camshaft incident.  That was on a S1000R.  Never on an RT.

I have heard of several. The first I heard of it was with the head of the Colorado State Police Motor department, they have had a few go out on the Police bikes. Thought it was just the 2014 models, but I am hearing of them on later models as well. Been seeing the occasional report since.

Cam

cams

I wish I could find the one I looked at recently that had the pictures of the wear on the cams. If you have a loud ticking noise, especially one side louder than another, I would certainly pull a valve cover and look it over.

WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Well treated police bikes ridden by professionals.  Don't expect there's link. Be interesting to see if anyone on here has first hand experience.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

RTman10 wrote: Well treated police bikes ridden by professionals.  Don't expect there's link. Be interesting to see if anyone on here has first hand experience.
Well maintained (usually), but ridden very aggressively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

15000-ish miles on my late 2014 RTLC, with no problems to date.
I think that people tend to post profusely with problems and complaints, but post less actively with praise, so forum traffic doesn't necessarily reflect owner satisfaction ???
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

RTs4me wrote: I think that people tend to post profusely with problems and complaints, but post less actively with praise, so forum traffic doesn't necessarily reflect owner satisfaction ???
I agree, there is statistic within customer services departments that goes something like a happy customer tells one person and an unhappy one tells ten...

I have a 2016 RT LC that has done +10,000 miles with no problems other than not enough time to ride it more:-)  Peter
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

I know the feeling! :( .

All work and no time to play at the moment  :(
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I had a 2014 model and did about 15,000 miles before swapping it for a GS.

No significant problems.  Stuck exhaust flap solved by replaced downpipes; faulty aux light switch replaced and faulty (leaking) aux light also replaced.

Don't think I've ever owned a bike that didn't have something minor go wrong, my RT was no better, no worse than anything else from that perspective.

Certainly had zero corrosion-type issues.  Looked as good on the day it went back as the day it arrived and all it ever got was a hose down and the odd going over with a brush and Turtle Wax car shampoo.  Kept in a warm, dry garage though...
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I bought a top-of-the-range all-options-fitted 2014 model on Feb 2015 which was handed back due to the suspension issue. It had 6000 miles on when I got it and now has 29,000 miles on it. I love the bike. Had the sticking flap that was fixed after the 1 year warranty (goodwill) BUT I would say that over the last year I have noticed significant corrosion that when I mentioned it to the dealer (I said that whilst I ride year round I had washed weekly with cold water and sprayed liberally with ACF50) they said it was coming from underneath which implies they acknowledged it was a build flaw. I didn't insist on replacement so they probably think I don't care. In fact it means my next bike will not be a BMW.

Whenever I evaluate my options, if I had the money again there is no bike I would sooner have - the combination of performance, handling, economy, light weight (for its class) means this is the perfect bike for me - just worrying how long I will have to own it for it to have paid for itself.

Oh and a significant cost... I have always had Michelin Road Pilot 4 (GT by preference) tyres which are great but they last just 10,000 miles on the rear and 6,000 on the front - I say last really they aren't performing for the last 800 or so miles. Which is quite appalling in my opinion.

Steve
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused. You say that you didn't insist on replacement....of what exactly, a specific component that was corroding, or several bits?? Re your tyres, I also use PR4 GT variant on my RT (and previously on my K13GT). Fantastic IMHO, but hey, tyres are a very subjective and personal thing judging by forum comments on this topic. Ten thousand on the rear?? Outstanding! Six thousand on the front? Yes, not brilliant, but again this seems to divide comment re longevity of the front tyre and the cupping regularly experienced as they wear down.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

steve.sharkey wrote: Oh and a significant cost... I have always had Michelin Road Pilot 4 (GT by preference) tyres which are great but they last just 10,000 miles on the rear and 6,000 on the front - I say last really they aren't performing for the last 800 or so miles. Which is quite appalling in my opinion.

You think that  tyre that lasts "only" 9,200 miles is "appalling"???

You're obviously either very gentle on your tyres or very tolerant of badly worn rubber.  In all my years of riding I have yet to get a rear tyre to perform half-decently beyond 6,000 and I will normally swap them out after 5,000.

Maybe I have an unusual desire for grip...

;) 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

9200 miles.  If only.  Mind you do I recall somebody saying they get 12000.  Trailers anybody.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
You think that  tyre that lasts "only" 9,200 miles is "appalling" ???

You're obviously either very gentle on your tyres or very tolerant of badly worn rubber.  In all my years of riding I have yet to get a rear tyre to perform half-decently beyond 6,000 and I will normally swap them out after 5,000.

Maybe I have an unusual desire for grip..

Nope, my bike has done 8.5k now and I'm into my second set of PR4GT, they were changed at just over 6k. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned.

;)
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

richardbd wrote:
You think that  tyre that lasts "only" 9,200 miles is "appalling"???

Maybe I have an unusual desire for grip...

;)
No issues with rear tyre, surprised they last so well traction control probably helps. It's the 4,500 good miles (and the way they wear) on the front that's poor in my opinion. Mainly because this is a touring bike and my planned Norway trip this year is more than the life of a front tyre - very inconvenient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk