How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
circlehappenork

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by circlehappenork »

Thanks all for your replies. I will raise that with my dealer. I wonder with what they'll come up for an answer, got a feeling that they'll try not to do anything about it.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

circlehappenork wrote: Thanks all for your replies. I will raise that with my dealer. I wonder with what they'll come up for an answer, got a feeling that they'll try not to do anything about it.
If that's the case then see if there is another dealer within striking distance. I have two I can get to - one sold me my first two BMW bikes and I was never entirely pleased with their service, the second has sold me two more bikes and so far their service is excellent.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Maz12 wrote: Mine was 4 months+ out of warranty but they still replaced the engine, Swingarm and shaft free of charge,  and did the 600mile service too
Think a lot depends on your relationship with your dealer,  mine were superb and sorted it all for me,  I'd had it serviced by them and they'd also applied ACF50 for me twice, and I'd also taken out the extended warranty.
So I'd ticked all the correct boxes... Well that's what my dealer said
Maz12,
Quite so! I like to think I have a good rapport with my local Motorrad dealer here in Bristol and that there is a mutual trust and openness between both parties. I traded in my previous K13GT for my current RT with this dealer, have always had them serviced there, and have taken out the Insured Warranty once the 2yr OEM warranty expired. As has already been said, change your dealer if it really isn't working with the current one.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

When I started this thread I had no idea it would have such 'legs'.

Very interesting reading.  I have yet to try the LC RT but I will get around to it one day. 
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

Well, good news on my front.
I took the bike back to Allan Jefferies and spoke to Dan on the service desk, he escalated the issue to BMW and they have very kindly replaced the swing arm and the gear housing at the rear wheel, even though the bike was out of warranty.
The total cost to myself was £95 for labour plus, in six hundred miles it will need the oil changing.

I have to say I'm very pleased with both the service from Jefferies and BMW
Dave
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

limesgmt wrote: Well, good news on my front.
I took the bike back to Allan Jefferies and spoke to Dan on the service desk, he escalated the issue to BMW and they have very kindly replaced the swing arm and the gear housing at the rear wheel, even though the bike was out of warranty.
The total cost to myself was £95 for labour plus, in six hundred miles it will need the oil changing.

I have to say I'm very pleased with both the service from Jefferies and BMW
It was Dan who sorted it for me,  did they say you will have to pay for the 600 mile service?
As I assumed I'd have to pay for it but it was free of charge
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

It was indeed Dan, top bloke.
He said that it would need an oil change after 600mls but I presumed I would have to pay for it.
If it comes in free I will be very pleased.
Dave
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

I have emailed the dealer about bubbling paint on the shaft and their answer was:
Please check for other areas as we can only submit a corrosion claim once.
With this sort of thing we cannot point it out. It has to be pointed out by you.
It sounds odd for me that it's my responsibility to tell them what's wrong the bike.
Does anyone of you know if that's right or had similar experience?
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

"It sounds odd for me that it's my responsibility to tell them what's wrong the bike.
Does anyone of you know if that's right or had similar experience?"

At the end of the two year warranty I asked them to check for corrosion, nothing was said to me about the swing arm.
I mentioned this to Dan when I took the bike in and he replied with; " BMW have told us not to mention corrosion as they think we are making work"

This is not good as far as I am concerned. Bmw are well aware that they have issues with the paint work on alloy (this came from somebody else in the motorcycle trade" and they should be pro-active in sorting this out, considering the price of these bikes.
Dave
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

limesgmt wrote: "It sounds odd for me that it's my responsibility to tell them what's wrong the bike.

At the end of the two year warranty I asked them to check for corrosion, nothing was said to me about the swing arm.
I mentioned this to Dan when I took the bike in and he replied with; " BMW have told us not to mention corrosion as they think we are making work"

This is not good as far as I am concerned. Bmw are well aware that they have issues with the paint work on alloy (this came from somebody else in the motorcycle trade" and they should be pro-active in sorting this out, considering the price of these bikes.

It is enough to put me off replacing my 2013 bike.  Think I'll stick with what I have. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

limesgmt wrote: "It sounds odd for me that it's my responsibility to tell them what's wrong the bike.

I read on another forum that this is only an issue in the UK, due mainly to the rubbish salt used during the winter. So BMW rather than change the paint are eating any warranty claims as the majority of other countries don't have an issue. Honda apparently are also having issues with paint on their frames. This could all be rubbish of course  8)
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

I bought mine when it was 18 months old, not a mark on it.  It was garaged over winter and has only been in one torrential downpour in Scotland and a bit of good old Yorkshire drizzle a couple of times. It has never seen salt.
I think the issue is water rather than lead based paint.
Dave
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

It probably is water, but there is water in the US as well as mainland Europe, but apparently they are not having corrosion issues (that again is hearsay) but on US forums nobody is talking about corrosion, or even the exhaust flap failing.

Mine is a 2014, and is used all year around, covered 10k in the last 18 months, and (touch wood) no corrosion, so not sure what the issue is. Maybe Luck and I should do the lottery more  8)
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

Do you want to go half on the next ticket? :)
Dave
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

limesgmt wrote: Do you want to go half on the next ticket? :)

:) Unfortunately had a few tickets over the last month, all I've won is a free lucky dip