How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by beemerboy9 »

bandytales wrote:
You are right. My bad.
However, even now it holds true - apart from the corrosion on casings - these Wetheads appear to be up there with the best Japanese bike reliability.

The UK takes accounts for 10% of BMW Worldwide sales but accounts for 95% of all corrosion warranty claims according to a senior BMW UK manager. What are we putting on our roads?
John Bentall
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

beemerboy9 wrote: The UK takes accounts for 10% of BMW Worldwide sales but accounts for 95% of all corrosion warranty claims according to a senior BMW UK manager. What are we putting on our roads?
I have seen a related comment before on other forums.  It was being inferred that the UK is one of a only a very few countries that salts the roads and this stuff, of course, eats bikes.  However, as the practice is not widespread in other markets the bikes are not built with this in mind and therefore suffer accordingly. 
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

bandytales wrote: If it were not for the number of posts you have, I would think this was a Troll posting. You have obviously not been following any of the R1200RTW (2014 - 2018) threads and websites, because if you had, you would not have posted this. These Wethead bikes have the least number of faults of all the the RT series. Most threads you see are based on trying to make Bluetooth work, or tyre choices, farkel additions, etc. There were a (very) few folk have seeps from the water pump which the owners became a tad OTT about. Also there have been cases of corrosion lifting the lacquer on engine casings and final drives. However, as to faults...well not a lot and certainly the best of the bunch.
Now, as to weather you like the styling and ergo's, that is a very different matter. I still ride my 1150 Oilhead and my Wethead, but it is my Oilhead I always look back at and feel good. Hopefully that will change towards the new kid on the block once we've done some more bonding.
Forums can reflect common issues with bikes but I wanted feedback from owners to my specific question. And judging from the length of the thread and the fact that posts are still being made it has been an interesting topic for many.

As for the following comment about BMW quality being up there with any Japanese bikes, maybe. But it shouldn't just match that of Japanese machinery - it should be better! My RT was £14K in Jan 2013. They are more expansive than their rivals by some measure and I am not convinced that this is reflected in build quality.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my TC 1200RT. It's brilliant. However, it has what is far from a hard life. If does not see the worst of winter, is garaged, serviced properly and on time and generally looked after well. However, I had more issues in the first three years of ownership than I had with my '98 VFR800 in 14 years and 60,000 miles. 

In the first three years of ownership the heated grips failed, I have and an oil leak and also had corrosion on the fairing stays. (These have now been powder-coated)  The only thing other than consumables I replaced on the VFR were the exhaust downpipes - which would rust if you waved a packet of salted crisps at them. It never broke down, nothing failed, it did not leak oil and it did not rust. Even the heated grips were still working when I sold it.
Last edited by MEM62 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Don't know you can call a manufacturer quality when they have had 126 recalls from 01/Jan/1992 to 01/Jan/2017
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Its not just BMW, there is a massive problem currently with 2016 on Honda Africa Twins, the front forks are sticking and there is no solution yet from Honda. My Harley I had was a 28k bike and it went back 4 times over two years with defects and quality issues.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

I don't dispute that fact, although I would not put the words Harley and Quality in the same sentence and the Honda issue does not seem to be the subject of an official recall at the moment according to the DVSA website. Just saying the BMW Is NOT a premium product with the likes of Triumph/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha all having substantially less recall issues but producing many more models/units. I bought my bike to travel long distance in comfort without having to make to many fuel/comfort breaks which It does admirably unlike my previous Blackbird, but unlike the Blackbird It cost quite a lot more new, the build quality cheap quality fasteners and delicate ill fitting plastics let it down. As for the reliability of electrical components/switch gear only time will tell. Still love riding it though.       
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

No the Honda issue isn't, they have not responded at all. If you search on Adventure Rider forum, you will see it is a big issue, apparently the forks are delaminating.

Think a lot to the BMW thing is perception, many do not have any issues and when you do have an issue at least BMW seem to standby their product and help resolve issues. My bike has now done 13k the only issue I've had is with the exhaust flap sticking, which BMW resolved for me as a good will gesture 6 months out of warranty. That saved me, over 1k in bits alone. Everyone has a choice about what they ride and if it doesn't suit change. I also ride a FJR 1300, now if your talking quality, the fixings and luggage isn't even in the same ball park as my RT. Not as expensive, but not a million miles off. I'm not a BMW fan boy, over 40 odd years of riding, I have only owned 3, and two of those were R80RTs, but I'm not dissatisfied with the product on a whole.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I have a Sept 2014 with about 25k miles on the clock.
Love the bike and everything about it. Ride all year but not when salt or ice about.
Problems:
In an earlier post, in late 2016 or early 2017 but still out of warranty, I had the forks changed because of a sensor failure. BMW supplied the forks and I paid the labour, about £100. Not a bad deal I thought.
November last year spoke to my local sealer as I had noticed some corrosion on the lower engine casing, around a "breathing" hole, and on the rear shaft casing. To cut a long story short, as the Motorrad dealer was dragging his heels, I had to contact BMW customer services in January this year. The dealer hadn't even contacted them after they got the okay from BMW tech services.
Luke at customer services got things moving and two days later dealer rang me saying they were waiting for a response from CS. He stressed that CS would only offer replacement casing and I would have to pay the labour, 3 days at a cost of about £2500.
Not a good deal. That's almost the deposit on a new bike.
Eventually CS said, through the dealer, that they would supply the casings and expect me to pay 50% of the labour, now down to £1250, better.
I have until end February to make up my mind. But I don't know if 3 days labour is the current rate for the job as the dealer had said that they build in some contingency time in case of problems. If they don't need that extra time, do I pay less?

I don't know if a "smart repair" to the casings would be a better option?
Sorry for the long winded saga.
I need to get out more. :)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Could you post some pics so we can see the extent of the corrosion.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

I have had mine from new for 2.5 years and had no issues, I think it is a premium brand and it holds its money like a premium brand and does not seem to drop in value like other manufacturers I have had, so for those reasons and the customer service I get (which is better than other brands in my experience) I think its worth it.

Bike ownership for me is a very emotive purchase and seems to be for a lot of other people - so if you like the looks, feels great to ride and meets most of your needs then it will find a way into your heart and home. Just wished I had the money to keep some of those I let go!
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Gman1969 wrote: ... I think it is a premium brand and it holds its money like a premium brand !

So why do you believe this is a premium brand? What to you, defines a premium brand? If you mean overpriced, then I fully agree.
What other brands of motorcycle would you define as a premium brand?
The bikes seem no more reliable or long lived than it's mainstream rivals.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

bandytales wrote:
So why do you believe this is a premium brand? What to you, defines a premium brand? If you mean overpriced, then I fully agree.
Well said!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Gman1969 wrote: .....I think it is a premium brand and it holds its money like a premium brand and does not seem to drop in value like other manufacturers I have had, so for those reasons and the customer service I get (which is better than other brands in my experience) I think its worth it ...... Bike ownership for me is a very emotive purchase and seems to be for a lot of other people - so if you like the looks, feels great to ride and meets most of your needs then it will find a way into your heart ..... /quote]

These are sentiments I agree with - and they fit my RT.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

bandytales wrote:

Before I shelled out for my new LC at the end of 2015, I was running around merrily on my '88 K100LT, premium brand?  Yes.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Cleverbee wrote:
Before I shelled out for my new LC at the end of 2015, I was running around merrily on my '88 K100LT, premium brand?  Yes.

And likewise an old Honda CX500 - However, I do believe that BMW were more of a premium brand in the 80's. They are much more average now.