How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Paggers

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by Paggers »

You hear people talk of 'Monday' or 'Friday' builds. Some machines (whether bikes or cars) seem to end up with a litany of issues while others seem fine. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it. So far my 2017MY bike has been fine, in just over 9k miles the only issue is the bolt that holds the slip-on exhaust has rusted. I write that off to my failure to clean properly behind the cosmetic cover plate over the bracket, and it's also possible that the BMW dealer would have replaced it if they had been the ones discovering it (I had my tyres swapped elsewhere). But as the stock can, along with it's bolt, is now in a box in the garage it's not an issue any more.

If I had a bike that was constantly breaking I think I would seriously consider replacing it. However, it wouldn't put me off buying another BMW. I have owned four now and only experienced one significant issue (ESA failure on my 2013 GS) which was resolved under warranty without a murmur.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
tda2806

Post by tda2806 »

circlehappenork wrote: Hello, sorry for digging up such an old topic, but at least here you can see previous problems with my bike. Unfortunately there were/are more issues. It's a lengthy post, so here's outline:

1. Unprofessional mechanic - screwed screw
2. Corroded muffler
3. Squeaky flap in exhaust (2nd one)
4. Front wheel alignment
5. Tyre pressure sensor error
6. Keyless fob issue

Just read this, I think 1 and 5 might me related. There is a chance that if they were so ham fisted with removing/installing the wheel there is a chance that they have disturbed the tyre pressure sensor in the wheel and it is now loose inside the tyre carcass, so it doesn't switch on as the wheel starts to rotate so you don't get a reading. I think you should name and shame garage who did the servicing if my hunch proves correct.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. Groucho Marx
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think you can be as ham fisted as you like in taking the rear wheel out and putting it back on and you would never disturb the tyre pressure sensor. No the only way the sensor can get damaged is when removing and replacing the tyre. Tyre changes with sensors have to be done carefully. The sensor sits in the drop zone of the wheel, exactly where the tyre needs to be when changing tyres until compressed air blows the tyre onto the bead. Either it got damaged during a tyre change, the internal battery in the sensor has died or the sensor is faulty. Take you pick.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Got minor corrosion on bevel box and front of cylinders where joint to sleeve is.  BMW have agreed to replace the full engine casing, cylinders and rear drive/bevel box.  Doing it in October after the workshop is clear of new registrations.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

The paintwork on the drive shaft has just started to bubble up and I am two months out of the manufacturers warranty.
Considering the cost of these bikes this is an absolute disgrace.
Dave
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

The paint is bubbling on the engine fins of my 2016 RT (18 months old) and drive shaft. The bikes has 9000 miles on it and I'm very disappointed. My dealer believes BMW will replace the engine casing and rear shaft but I'm waiting to hear formal confirmation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

limesgmt wrote: The paintwork on the drive shaft has just started to bubble up and I am two months out of the manufacturers warranty.
Considering the cost of these bikes this is an absolute disgrace.
Mine was 4 months+ out of warranty but they still replaced the engine, Swingarm and shaft free of charge,  and did the 600mile service too
Think a lot depends on your relationship with your dealer,  mine were superb and sorted it all for me,  I'd had it serviced by them and they'd also applied ACF50 for me twice, and I'd also taken out the extended warranty.
So I'd ticked all the correct boxes... Well that's what my dealer said
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

My dealer has said that he will make inquiries for me, which I can't fault them for.
The issue for me is the longevity of the paintwork.
I bought this bike with the intention of, first using it and secondly of keeping it for a number of years.

It is the best bike I have ever owned but if it's  paintwork bubbling after 7,000 miles and 2 years old what state will it be in after 20,000 miles and 4 years?
Dave
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

My bike is 3 years old and clocked 26000 miles and engine and drive paint is as new. I don't understand why this problem effects some bikes and not all. Sure if you ride on salty winter roads the bike will corrode while you are looking at it ! To keep it looking as new you have to keep it clean. I'm not sure this paint bubbling is an external corrosion issue. Sounds to me like some coating issue. Still doesn't answer the question why it effects some bikes and not all. Its a delicate flower. Not what you want for a tourer and not what you expect from BMW.
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

I bought mine second hand with 5k on the clock. I checked the bike over very carefully for any corrosion and found the bike to be clean.
It was garaged over winter as I ran my st through 1 winter a couple of years ago and the salt killed it, on a par with a Japanese bike from the seventies!

The only time the rt has been wet and left outside was on a trip Anne and I made this year to Ullapool, where we got drenched.
The bike was washed a given a good clean on our return.

I'm not a happy bunny.

Dave
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

elephant8869 wrote: The paint is bubbling on the engine fins of my 2016 RT (18 months old) and drive shaft. The bikes has 9000 miles on it and I'm very disappointed. My dealer believes BMW will replace the engine casing and rear shaft but I'm waiting to hear formal confirmation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've heard back from my dealers and BMW Motorrad Uk have agreed to replace the engine casing and drive shaft casing.  Having chatted this through with my dealer this means completely dismantling the entire engine, gearbox and drive shaft and moving all the parts, including bolts, washers and seals to the new casings. My dealer is not keen as they've never done this before. In the past BMW changed the entire engine and/or drive shaft.  I'm concerned by the proposal since I cannot see how factory standards of quality control and cleanliness can be replicated in the dealers workshop.  Having discussed this with the dealer they suggested I make a formal complaint to BMW Motorrad Uk. I'm going to ask Motorrad to rebuild the engine and driveshaft at the factory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

The last image is similar to the corrosion I'm suffering. Bevel box but I'm also dubious about a local albeit BMW trained staff, doing a full rebuild of the engine in a  workshop that's nothing like the assembly plant that constructed it...........
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

The corrosion on mine is the same as the third image.
You need to get to the dealers with that, if you are still in warranty they will do something about it.
Dave
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

That's how my driveshaft and engine fans look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro