Newbie questions...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mac77

Newbie questions...

Post by Mac77 »

hi all,

Just spent the last few hours replacing some of the rusted bolts, had the fairings off and painted the headstock, side  and centre stand.

My caliper bolts are terrible (won't clean up). Are these stealership only or do any of you know a supplier?

The peg boards paint peeling off, how have you guys repaired them? My final drive has the very start of it... any ideas how to protect it?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Newbie questions...

Post by Steve F »

Pro-Bolt provide a range of Aluminium, Stainless and Titanium bolts. Have a look at their web site. Just a thought.....www.pro-bolt.com
Re corrosion, ACF-50 is excellent at providing a very effective barrier against corrosion. However, in my experience, corrosion usually originates from beneath the painted surface, either through poorly prepared surfaces prior to painting, or through damage/chipping to protective layer of paint thereafter.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would point out that the bolts you highlight hold the two halves of the calliper together.  They are not available from BMW due to a safety issue with splitting the caliper .  I would advise strongly against trying to change them.  Live with them.  I would worry more about the disc that doesn't seem to have seen a pad for many a moon.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I would worry more about the disc that doesn't seem to have seen a pad for many a moon.

Hard to disagree...
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Thanks guys. She's been sat in the sea air for the last 2 years, hence all the rusty bolts. I'll be putting some miles on from next week.