Gear shift adjustment , 2016 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ihbond

Gear shift adjustment , 2016 RT

Post by Ihbond »

So i ended up buying suburban machinery driver peg lowering kit.
I wanted to adjust the Rod length for the gear shift.
TO get the shifter lever to where i need to be comfortable i am looking about 130mm.
Per the repair manual the specifications  says "distance between two ball-head centerlines 123.5 +/- .5 mm.
I have Gear shift assist pro ...
Will this impact the shift ability of the gear box, (it seems to shift through all gears now)...I am hoping i am not setting myself for failure down the road....

Any\all thoughts are welcomed, on this matter....

2016 r1200rt
Paggers

Re: Gear shift adjustment , 2016 RT

Post by Paggers »

I think that distance is the 'standard' position. The whole point of making it adjustable is so that it can be adjusted. The first thing I did when I got my RT was to adjust mine so it is pretty much as low as it will go. With long legs and big feet the angle of my foot even when sitting on standard pegs means that with the selector any higher I have to lift my foot off the peg to change down. The way it is designed, the direction and force of the change is going to be the same at the gearbox, no matter where you have the selector positioned.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Ihbond

Re: Gear shift adjustment , 2016 RT

Post by Ihbond »

You're probably right but the standards that they said even with their adjustment sure doesn't give you a lot of play.  It sounds like other folks I probably should not worry about it  as much
Thanks for the reply
Ian
2016 r1200rt