Engine rattle

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sprintgull

Re: Engine rattle

Post by Sprintgull »

Hmmm.  Started mine last week for the first time this year (yeah, yeah, I know) expecting a bit of a clatter while the oil flew round, but no mechanical noise at all.  Just an instant start as it has been hooked up to the Optimate.  It has been on the centre stand all the time.  Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, but is it the same if you hold the clutch in when you start up?  If that quietens it down then the clatter could be in the transmission maybe?  My old 1300GT  used to do that.
Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

Hi it is not on start up but after it has been ticking over 30 secs to a minute and then the rattle comes and goes. It sounds to me like a hydralic lifter is loosing oil pressure but it does not have them. Dave
2011 R1200RT Polar metalic
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Oldbrook wrote: Hi Our Gee, thanks for that, my bike is in daily use and rattles every day and i also notice that it seams to rattle on the over run, a lot louder when cold but i can hear it all the time. I think bad to the dealer and leave it with them to sort. dave
Don't forget to let us know what the outcome was.

Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

Hi i am dropping bike off on Friday at the dealers and then going down first thing on Saturday morning to start it with them. I will let you know what they say. Dave
Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

Hi bike been at dealers all night and went down there this morning, started bike from cold with service manager and technician and they say it is ok. Tech went for a ride on it and i looked round showroom, found a 10 plate with same engine so got them to start it. Quite shocked it made the same noise. Well seams all is well for now. Dave
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's German high tech engineering for you.  Still be making the same noise when it's done 100k.