Suspension warning light

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
BeeJay

Re: Suspension warning light

Post by BeeJay »

Spot on RTman.
It was when I went for a ride to test the helibars position that the light came on.
The right hand switch gear was "juggled" to get it back on. But I don't think there's anything there to do with ESA.
I did mention that fact to Pidcocks.
I did think that "juggling" the right switch may have caused a "blip" in the electronics and that it would settle after a restart. But no.
Time to wash the bike now, it's filthy.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Ah the tot plickens.
Update:
Had booked bike into Pidcocks for a Saturday pm check, arrived Friday pm with the warning light on. So I left it running and parked the bike by the service bay. Explained to Laura that the fault was now on so she had someone look at it straight away.
Went back Monday morning to collect bike and the long story made short wa sthat there was an error code recorded but since the bike had been stopped the fault had not materialised. They said that I could leave the bike for further checks but as the fault was not apparent I would take it and return if the fault returned.
Went to the bike and the fault had returned.
Now I have been loaned a bike whuilst they look again at the bike.
I had the offer of a new RT as a loan bike but I asked for the Scrambler.
What a bike, very quiet gearbox and a very fun bike to ride. I was most impressed.
An ideal for lane and B road "pottering" but still okay on A roads. Might think about it as a second bike.
Really just waiting for my RT to be sorted and get some riding in whilst I'm staying local.

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Back up the thread to extended warranty - every time!  Had good value from it with the 1300GT.  Can't remember the exact numbers, but over the 5 years or so using the scheme, costing around £1700, I think there were about £2200 in claims.  From memory.  But bear in mind that this is even less reliable than the 1300GT. :)
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

A resut though not a good one.
Collected the bike Friday lunchtime and "cutting a very long story short" it's an intermittent fault in the ESA sensor in the front forks.
Good news.
But, the sensor is not a replaceable item. Bad news.
You have to change the forks at a cost of around £860 plus £104 fitting.
Laura is going to speak to BMW about the problem on a 30month old bike.
When I left Pidcocks, no warning light and nothing since.
The extended warranty seems a good price.
:wonder:
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Better result now.
Just off the phone with Laura at Pidcocks.
BMW will supply the replacement forks as long as I agree to pay the fitting, about £108.

^-^
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

BeeJay wrote: Better result now.
BMW will supply the replacement forks as long as I agree to pay the fitting, about £108.

^-^

Result.  BMW did the same for me when my exhaust valve failed at 27 months...
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

^-^
That's good!  The money you saved will buy two and a bit years' warranty - result! 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

^-^

Is it the forks or the suspension unit/strut.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I assume the warranty has to be bought prior to the original expiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

RTman, to quote from Laura the Service Advisor at Pidcock's:
It is the control unit on the suspension strut that has failed and it is built into the strut, so you need to replace the whole thing"

Does that make sense?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yep.  You will still have the same forks.  It's that bit in the middle with the spring round it they will replace. Good result though and can't be anything to do with the bar risers you put on.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

All sorted now and £120 lighter (coud have been much worse).
Just before I took the bike in I was filing some bills etc and noticed that tey had billed me for Z8s and not 01s when I had the tyres changed a couple of weeks prior. Checked the bike and sure enough Z8s.
Spoke to their after sales manager who said he would look into it and get back to me.
He didn't, he went on holiday.
Service team didn't know anything about it.
To cut a long story short they changed the tyres for 01s, I had done about 450 miles on them and didn't charge me the difference
Ran them in on the homeward journey and used them in anger Saturday last. Very impressed.