2016 RT, No Throttle Response

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
BlueRT

2016 RT, No Throttle Response

Post by BlueRT »

Last weekend I was riding my RT in a rural area of southeastern North Carolina-USA, actually riding to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina-USA. I stopped at a small crossroads and made a left turn, went through 1st, 2nd and when I shifted into 3rd my throttle stopped responding and the RT spit and spat down the road. The throttle acted like I had run out of gas but I had a 3/4 full gas tank. The RT would not idle. I pulled over onto small side road out of traffic and thank God had family living in the area and they were able to rescue me with a trailer. I then trailed my RT 379-miles back to Atlanta. Once I arrived at my residence, I started the RT, she idled perfectly and the throttle responded as if nothing were at fault. My dealer has my RT and is running a computer diagnostic to try to find the problem. The dealer is concerned the computer picked up some electronic fault and shut down the throttle. No idiot lights on the dash. The dealer said the RT acts like its fine but the computer may have stored the electronic fault in its memory and the dealer said the compute could shutdown the throttle again without warning. Have any of you RT owners experienced this issue?  What may have been the diagnosis on your RT?     
Keep The Faith!
guest2360

Re: 2016 RT, No Throttle Response

Post by guest2360 »

New one to me but the dealer might find the bike has recorded a fault which they can removed.  Out of interest as the bike is obviously under warranty was there a reason you didn't contact BMW Emergrncy services.  They just might have found the reason on the spot.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I have a 2016RT and have not experienced this.  It seems odd that no fault light illuminated on the dash if it were some kind of system fault.  Almost sounds like a fuel problem, any chance you had recently fueled the bike?  Maybe some water worked its way through the system.
BMW MOA #210438
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

I called BMW from my iPhone while stranded on the side of the road. The "operator" could not connect me a technician. I was not impressed with BMW at that moment! I'm still not sure of my opinion of BMW's assistance program. I feel fairly confident the dealer will plug the RT to the mainframe computer and we'll find the computer registered some small electronic fault that choked the throttle. The dealer should be able to clear the computer and I drive away a happier RT pilot. Next questions are, what was the fault and what's the possibility of recurrence?  I'll follow-up once I get feedback from my dealer. 
Keep The Faith!
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

Timminator, I have used only Shell 93-octane and the RT has responded well. I had ridden 279-miles on a round trip to Highlands NC the previous weekend before this situation and I had filled up with 93-octane during that ride home. The RT used 1/4 tank riding home from Highlands, NC after I refueled and I had no issues. The RT has never been in the rain, so I feel confident ruling out rain getting into the fuel system. Your thought may have some validity as we all know H2O could have been in the gas.  Appreciate your reply.     
Keep The Faith!
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

RTman10 wrote: ....Out of interest as the bike is obviously under warranty was there a reason you didn't contact BMW Emergrncy services.  They just might have found the reason on the spot.

On the two occasions I have used BMW emergency, a third party has attended on their behalf and were instructed to recover to BMW dealer.

Either way for me, the BMW service worked, but not sure of any roadside diagnostics, and in my case, the dealer would have been closed (not open for another 48hrs) and a loan car was to be organised.

Thankfully for me, the first instance was a puncture and the second was a flat battery both of which were resolved.
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

Today I received a call from my dealer regarding my 2016 RT throttle being non-responsive. Bike started, idled and throttled up fine before being put on the diagnostic computer. Once on the computer they found several faults had been recorded by the computer that probably caused the throttle to choke itself. Dealer called BMW and confirmed with BMW that the assemble factory had downloaded the wrong computer maintenance system into the RT's onboard computer. BMW authorized the dealer to remove the factory installed software and reinstall the current and proper software for the 2016 RT. After clearing the computer and downloading the current and proper software, the dealer test rode the RT on Saturday, let it sit until today and road it again this morning. The dealer reported the RT performed flawlessly. Did I get the whole truth? I do have confidence in my dealer and that said must take his comments for face value. If any of you have a similar problem, hopefully this account will give you some insights.
Keep The Faith!
Millman

Post by Millman »

Went to our local BMW ride and shine open house last Saturday and they had the service dept. show the computer diagnostic program they use. The service mgr said that once connected and diagnosing problems, no one is to touch the bike.  He had someone press the clutch in once while it was connected and it bricked the bike.  He had to contact BMW and do the same thing, download the correct program for the bike and it was back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

More details on my dealer diagnostics. Received a copy of the print-out of the computer reading. Several fault codes were registered. 21F983 for Throttle Value (right), Code 21F9C3 Throttle Value (left), Code 21FB50 Gearshift Assist Monitoring, Code 80401D Fuel Filler Cap Switch (-1), Code 80402B Electrical Handlebar Lock and Code B7F819 SDARS Aerial. The codes were logged in the bikes computer memory but found to be inactive when the diagnostic was performed. The throttle values had deviated too far away from specs. On-board computer was cleared. An updated BMW software system was installed on the onboard computer. Dealer then test rode the RT on two occasions over three days and deemed to be clear of faults and performing to specs. Picking up the BlueRT this Saturday from the dealer and riding in the mountains in sunny 74F weather.  Hope you all have a great weekend. 
Keep The Faith!
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

Hope this cures the problem, it's a wonderful bike when running well.

Safe riding.
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

2017 R1200RT was rear ended at a stop sign and fell over on the right side. No evidence of the throttle hitting the ground. The engine fault light along with the solid yellow warning triangle were on and the bike ran in the "get home mode". It was limited to 2000 RPM and didn't have enough power to ride it into the ground level trailer chock.

Bike was towed to the dealer and fault was found to be Throttle Calibration. A  month later and the bike is finally back on the road. It was 3 days old when this happened (582 miles).

Ron
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

The BlueRT performed to expectations after pick-up from my dealer. As the dealer advised, he cleared all faults, uploaded the most current software and away we went. The local weather could not have been better and I didn't want to get off the bike!  I had 100% throttle control, no hesitation, no choking out. 
Keep The Faith!