Power Source on LC

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Power Source on LC

Post by Glencoe »

Hi All
Where best to source a power supply on a 2015 LC for the Roadhawk camera please guys?
Other than the battery, I have the hard wire kit of course :wonder:

Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
Taz

Re: Power Source on LC

Post by Taz »

In front of the battery is a jump start terminal, covered with a red plastic plug.  You can connect to that for your positive feed and then back onto the negative terminal of the battery.  To gain access you will need to remove the right fairing panel that your knee rubs against.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I posted a bit on how I've done mine on the UK GSER forum http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... t=Roadhawk

Took the feed for Roadhawk from the sat nav loom at the front.

I have a second camera facing rearward that gets its feed from a Fuzebloc and that gets its power from a dual power outlet from a 1600 which has twon12v sockets at the back.

It's all plug and play and doesn't affect the bike loom at all.
Glencoe
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Thanks you guys, I will have a look.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: I posted a bit on how I've done mine on the UK GSER forum https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/392501-Permanent-Bullet-Cam-Mounting?highlight=Roadhawk

Took the feed for Roadhawk from the sat nav loom at the front.

I have a second camera facing rearward that gets its feed from a Fuzebloc and that gets its power from a dual power outlet from a 1600 which has twon12v sockets at the back.

It's all plug and play and doesn't affect the bike loom at all.

Looks a neat install, one question, is it easy to take the camera off bike power and mount on the helmet. Reason is I would like a permie mount on the RT but ride lots of different bikes, so would want a helmet mount on my spare helmet, so I could swap. I assume the mount you used for the headlight is the same one for the helmet, so would need an extra mount :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: ...ride lots of different bikes, so would want a helmet mount on my spare helmet, so I could swap...

You're a braver man than me Casbar.  After the Schumacher accident (and bearing in mind the advice from helmet manufacturers about not adding extraneous stuff to their products) I'm very reluctant to add anything as big as a camera to my helmet.  I even removed the big bluetooth unit from one of my helmets and replaced it with the much smaller BMW kit.

The risk of either (or both) of a twisting injury caused by a protruding piece of kit on a helmet and/or an impact injury caused by a secure mounting not giving way just seems like tempting fate to me...
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I'm guessing you want the camera to power on and off with the bike ignition? In which case you need to wire it to a switched source. The best option, in my opinion, is to tie into one of the auxiliary power sockets. I have a roadhawk but recently upgraded to a K1S DVR system - I have connected in via the rear auxiliary power socket. I used a 'Posi Tap' connector.

Edit: completely agree about not adding things to your helmet. I do have a BT module (Scala Q3) but it's the smallest one I could get and in theory at least the unit is designed to break free in the event of an accident (seems to work as I had a minor 'drop' of the helmet the other day and the BT unit pinged off). If I absolutely had to fit a camera then the only 'safe' place is on top, definitely not on the sides.
Last edited by Paggers on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yes agree about the helmet cam thing. I also thought in a spill the thing is going to get trashed. My thinking was, have it permie mounted on my RT, but when blood biking and using the marked bikes have it helmet mounted. But now thinking that wouldn't be a good idea, trouble is, probably at more risk blood biking than normal, as always out at night and crap weather.

So may just go for one on my own bike, still in the analysis phase :)

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

You can get an external battery for the RoadHawk which gives it much better life. Alternatively, for Blood Bike use, plug it into the auxiliary power socket on the bike. In either case you can get a screw-on mount for the camera that you can attach to the bars for temporary use.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: You can get an external battery for the RoadHawk which gives it much better life. Alternatively, for Blood Bike use, plug it into the auxiliary power socket on the bike. In either case you can get a screw-on mount for the camera that you can attach to the bars for temporary use.

Yes that sounds a better option  8)
Glencoe
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Correct Paggers, on and off with ignition would be best option.
I have been investigating and on the n/s behind the pull off panel, (once unscrewed of course) I have found an electrical connection which is blanked off and in a clip, the three wire colours are; brown, purple, and red /blue, alongside this is an empty clip? Something to do with the radio perhaps, can this connector be used to power the camera? Anyone know?
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

That's the connector for the auxiliary driving lights guess it won't have power try it with a volt meter if you have one 
Glencoe
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

The connector has power, futterweasel, so another power source for the future.
In the meantime I have fitted camera and wired into the front o/s auxiliary power socket with posi tap, for ignition on/off,
All working, thanks for all suggestions.
Must admit I was a bit apprehensive about messing with linbus wiring, but it really is quite simple after some research and of course posi tap connectors and a dozen mini cable ties to keep it all tidy.
As the camera end cap is changed when camera is hard wired, it loses the safety strap, so I have used two small cable ties; one around the end of the camera trapping an open cable tie, which in turn is fixed to the handy placed little bracket fixed below the headlight assembly and above where the camera is sited, as a back up should the bracket ever give way. Should also make it more awkward for any opportunist with sticky fingers.
Take care ye all.
k900r

Post by k900r »

Glencoe - could you add a pic of your set up? I've just changed from the older RT to a 2014 LC model and want to fit my Roadhawk. Like you I want power that switches on/off with the bike and I'm grateful for you finding the solution - but where exactly did you mount it?

By the way I can't use the GPS power as I have the Nav fitted so I think i need to do the same and tap into the power socket. Glad it doesn't cause a problem with canbus.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

k900r wrote: Glencoe - could you add a pic of your set up? I've just changed from the older RT to a 2014 LC model and want to fit my Roadhawk. Like you I want power that switches on/off with the bike and I'm grateful for you finding the solution - but where exactly did you mount it?

By the way I can't use the GPS power as I have the Nav fitted so I think i need to do the same and tap into the power socket. Glad it doesn't cause a problem with canbus.

Have a look at this thread - https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthrea ... t=Roadhawk

I was just about to buy a Roadhawk, then I read another thread that suggests they are not the best solution - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1556699

So now looking at the innovv camera, they also seem to have mounts that will stick underneath the headlamp on the RT.