Power Source on LC

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Paggers

Re: Power Source on LC

Post by Paggers »

I had to bin my original 'Innov' dual-camera system as the control unit 'bricked' itself (I also had one for the car which went the same way - Chinese crap, I recommend that everyone steers well clear). I now have two RoadHawk cameras fitted, a newer R+ 1080p model at the front and an older 'Ride' 720p model at the back. They are powered from a 12v hard-wired USB connector that has two outputs and is wired into the rear auxiliary power socket using a posi-tap. Both power on when the bike does and then power off a short while afterwards.
Last edited by Paggers on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

I have the cheaper  car version on my bike  the forward facing camera is behind the right hand perspex  above the speaker  the rear is be the side of the number plate.  Recorder is under the Pillion seat.  Had this unit for 3 years. Presently RT and before it on a Sprint GT  not had any problems.  Had to cover the mike holes with blue tac but that was it. 
I ride all year round  the camera is hard wired to come on and off with the ignition

Quality is not bad either have a look at https://youtu.be/FgyUzASqMgA
The picture in picture is from my editing software

I may have been lucky with the unit    cost me less than £140.00 but without the GPS unit    you can still find them under £200.00 on Amazon 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Well there you go then. Links I posted said Roadhawk was rubbish. Paggers says Innovv is crap, what do you do? Innovv is apparently bringing out a new unit, and they get good reviews. Now not sure what to buy!
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I'm a bit surprised about people slating the Roadhawk camera. The two I have were bought when I got my GS, which is two years ago. I initially went with the 'Ride' but at 720p I couldn't read registration plates so it wasn't good enough. I quickly replaced it with the R+ which sat on my GS for 18 months and almost twenty thousand miles without ever missing a beat. At two years old both cameras continue to work flawlessly.

I liked the idea of the Innov system with it's dual HD cameras (which is just a modification of the K1S) but after having two control units 'brick' themselves I can't bring myself to get another one. If they bring out a new version, and it gets better reviews, then I would look at it.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The new one is the C5, but looking on some review sites, buying from Innovv can be a bit challenging, as you say they seem to be Chinese. But the review the guy gave about the Roadhawk bullet where it was only recording every other file, would be an issue as I want it for recording on loop not for putting together vids of trips. So still not sure, there doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews for fixed cameras, most seem to be helmet jobs. Where are Roadhawk made, guess that will be in Asia somewhere as well  8)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

To be clear, I use a helmet cam for trip recording. Both my Roadhawk cameras are operating on loop recording and are there purely for evidence purposes.

I obviously don't know anything about the specific situation you describe, but a lot of the dashcam systems tend to be a bit twitchy if you don't have the right memory card fitted - this is not something that is limited to Roadhawk. I bought my cards from Roadhawk with the cameras and have never had a problem.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'll maybe give them a call. I don't want anything attached to my Helmet, especially if I'm sliding down the road :) No desire to look like a Telly Tubby.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: I'll maybe give them a call. I don't want anything attached to my Helmet, especially if I'm sliding down the road :) No desire to look like a Telly Tubby.
I resisted sticking a camera on my helmet for a long time, for exactly the same reason. In the end I decided to go for it because I wanted to be able to start recording trip videos, but I agree it's not an ideal solution. I now have a BT module on one side and the camera on the other - so the plan is just not to fall off the bike!
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

Paggers wrote: I had to bin my original 'Innov' dual-camera system as the control unit 'bricked' itself (I also had one for the car which went the same way - Chinese crap, I recommend that everyone steers well clear).
That's worrying as I have a K1 on my Explorer which i would bring across to the RT. I have the Innovv C3 for my Thruxton to be fitted over winter too.

Was the 'bricking' related to heat do you think, as I hear they are temp sensitive ?
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Hi,
I've discovered that when tapping into the o/s power socket (beneath the throttle so to speak) for a power source for a camera, when the socket is used for the Optimate charger, this seems to activate the power to the camera!!
This means that the camera will now run constantly when charger is plugged in. Even switching off the camera doesn't work as it activates again after a minute. I have now unscrewed the end connector to the camera which lets the power supply come off.
A nuisance indeed, but probably only an annual event.
So long as I remember to connect again prior to next run.

Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

richardbd wrote:
You're a braver man than me Casbar.  After the Schumacher accident (and bearing in mind the advice from helmet manufacturers about not adding extraneous stuff to their products) I'm very reluctant to add anything as big as a camera to my helmet.  I even removed the big bluetooth unit from one of my helmets and replaced it with the much smaller BMW kit.

The risk of either (or both) of a twisting injury caused by a protruding piece of kit on a helmet and/or an impact injury caused by a secure mounting not giving way just seems like tempting fate to me...
Better get an open face then, wouldn't want that big curved chin guard striking the ground and twisting you neck would we :alas: :alas: :alas:
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

I use a Drift Ghost S and find it quite unobtrusive, low profile. Your shoulders will hit anything before your helmet so little danger if a twisting injury IMHO. If I wanted a mobile solution not wired into the bike, I'd buy a 20,000ma power pack for £20 off Amazon and stick it in my pocket, wired into a mini USB cable to the camera. That would last all day. It's what I'm going to do next year when I venture further afield with ny RT. The Ghost Is more aerodynamic than GOPro and doesn't look like you have a piece of scaffolding on your head. It's cheaper, has a rotatable lens and is easy to fit an external mic also.  ;)