Tinnitus and Touring

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
RTtourer

Tinnitus and Touring

Post by RTtourer »

I posted here a while back regarding my consideration of a R1200RT. A month ago, I was diagnosed with chronic(never to go away) Tinnitus. It is associated with high frequency hearing loss and yes, stupidity regarding a lack of protecting my ears in multiple domains. Despite the "damage already being done", I need to protect my ears so that the condition doesn't worsen. Does anyone here have Tinnitus and do you continue to ride long distance? I have already ordered the Schuberth C3 Pro and if I am to continue long distance riding, the HD Ultra Limited will be replaced with a "quiet" bike with great wind protection. Would the RT fit the bill? I'm wondering how I'd fare with custom ear molds, C3 Pro and an RT with the "ideal" windshield?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Tinnitus and Touring

Post by T6pilot »

I've found the soft foam ear plugs are more comfortable than the molded plugs
C3 pro is a good choice helmet, you may consider waiting a few weeks as the C4 is coming our way this month
RT offers good wind and noise protection, I upgraded mine by adding a quite ride windshield from Werks, they are made by 7jurock.com, buying direct saves a few $
Jim
chesthing

Post by chesthing »

I've had tinnitus for many years, brought on riding bikes with small windscreens and shooting guns outside without ear protection. I used to get off my VFR800 then ST2 after a highway ride absolutely seeing stars from the screaming in my ears, which would last for days - and that was riding with earplugs. After finally getting rid of the last bike without a decent size screen buying my '06 RT I found the stock and vstream windscreens were decent but still too loud. I then bought a Cal-Sci standard size screen and while I still have that ever present ringing 24/7 but it is never any worse after riding the RT. I never even bother with earplugs even at highway speeds.
Idk what windscreen you've been using on your Harley, but the RT has vastly better wind flow so with the right windscreen it will be fine.
Last edited by chesthing on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

T6pilot wrote: I've found the soft foam ear plugs are more comfortable than the molded plugs
C3 pro is a good choice helmet, you may consider waiting a few weeks as the C4 is coming our way this month
RT offers good wind and noise protection, I upgraded mine by adding a quite ride windshield from Werks, they are made by 7jurock.com, buying direct saves a few $
I agree. The RT is a very quiet bike, especially with a Werks screen.  I also use the Lasercut foamies which are very comfortable and have the highest dB reduction.  Amazingly no one seems to be developing noise reduction systems for motorcycle helmets.  I have worn my Bose noise reduction ear buds and found them very effective, although not as comfortable under a helmet.  To me it seems so obvious to build an aftermarket helmet speaker system that adds noise reduction to the helmet.  The company that does that will make some money, especially if they add Bluetooth and a comm system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

T6pilot wrote: I've found the soft foam ear plugs are more comfortable than the molded plugs

Appreciate the info on the windshield. What's the difference between the C3 and C4?
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

chesthing wrote: I've had tinnitus for many years, brought on riding bikes with small windscreens and shooting guns outside without ear protection. I used to get off my VFR800 then ST2 after a highway ride absolutely seeing stars from the screaming in my ears, which would last for days - and that was riding with earplugs. After finally getting rid of the last bike without a decent size screen buying my '06 RT I found the stock and vstream windscreens were decent but still too loud. I then bought a Cal-Sci standard size screen and while I still have that ever present ringing 24/7 but it is never any worse after riding the RT. I never even bother with earplugs even at highway speeds.
Idk what windscreen you've been using on your Harley, but the RT has vastly better wind flow so with the right windscreen it will be fine.

OK, so you've got the Tinnitus too. Do you do many long trips? I'm curious how I would fare riding 7-10 days, 400-600 mi/day with the Tinnitus. Obviously, that's a lot of wind exposure. I realize that ear plugs and the best helmet will only protect so much(due to bone conduction). Just don't want this condition to worsen.
chesthing

Post by chesthing »

RTtourer wrote:
OK, so you've got the Tinnitus too. Do you do many long trips? I'm curious how I would fare riding 7-10 days, 400-600 mi/day with the Tinnitus. Obviously, that's a lot of wind exposure. I realize that ear plugs and the best helmet will only protect so much(due to bone conduction). Just don't want this condition to worsen.
I've found that noise to a certain level is not an issue no matter how long exposed. Short term exposure to noise even a few minutes that crosses that line can make the ringing much worse over a few days. Once I opened the air valve on my air compressor too fast and damage occured before I could get my fingers into my ears. Likewise, a single gunshot could do horrible damage that could cause ringing for weeks. I always wear plugs when mowing or using a snowblower, vacuum cleaner, operating my Vitamix, going to the movies, etc. Since the wind noise produced by my bike even at highway speed does not reach that dangerous level I could ride all day for days without ear plugs. Find the quietest screen and adjust the height depending how fast you are going and you should be fine.
I was ready to give up riding when after some research decided to give the RT a chance as a last resort. After finding the Cal Sci shield it's been great, no issues. You are on the right track, this is the quietest bike short of maybe a Goldwing or LT/GT pig grand tourer.
Last edited by chesthing on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Wearing a quiet helmet is just as important as fitting an oversized screen in my opinion.  The gap in front of your chin and air vents are where most of the excessive noise can come from as well as any helmet that has the word "race" in its name. 
I think there cannot be many senior riders around who haven't got it.  In my case it became noticeable after discovering you could have music in you lid and it was easier to hear it clearly if you put the volume right up.  I now have a genuine excuse to give up Hoovering though.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Have ridden with Tinnitus for close to 30 years I agree reducing the overall noise is good thing!  When first diagnosed I spent a massive amount of money (for me at the time!) on the quietest helmet around a BMW System 1 or 2!  I have been with BMW helmets ever since...  I use soft ear plugs and look for the highest SNR (noise reduction) rating I can find, currently at SNR: 39dB...  The RT is a quiet bike but then all the logic goes out the window when I fitted a Remus exhaust:-) Peter
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Had Tinnitus for upwards of 40 years now, brought on by loud music, working in a factory as an apprentice and riding bikes in my teens. It's there right now, a whistle in the left ear, and it is no worse after riding the bike.  I use a Shoei Neotec helmet and cheap and cheerful foam earplugs.  For me it is not the tinnitus that is the issue, it is the belting headache after riding for hours without earplugs.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I use soft ear plugs and look for the highest SNR (noise reduction) rating I can find, currently at SNR: 39dB.
Can you tell me which brand / type of ear plugs you use. Thanks
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

As you can see from the posts above, I guess this is a highly personal topic.  The combination of rider, bike, pipe, screen, helmet and ear-plugs is infinitely variable - and tolerance of noise varies too.

FWIW, I do think screen (size and shape) plays a big part in noise levels but I only worry about that once I've got the ideal seat-height figured.  It's much cheaper to lower a seat than to buy a screen!  On the LCRT I did fit the BMW touring screen.  It's no taller but quite a bit wider and definitely reduced buffeting around the arms and shoulders a lot for me.  That in turn makes it seem much more peaceful and quieter.

I also wear flip-front helmets much of the time.  I have a C3 (not Pro) and a BMW System 6 Evo.    I've always found the Evo to be considerably quieter than the Schuberth - same bike, same screen, same plugs.  That said, I don't think either of them is as quiet as a proper full-face of similar quality.  Flip-front have lots of benefits but I think it's inevitable that they're noisier.  BTW, I've seen articles suggesting that the new C4 is not as quiet as the C3, and that Schuberth haven't published a dB figure for it because of that (not checked for myself though).

I have some custom-moulded plugs but I don't often use them because they're too good - they seal out too much noise for my taste.  Normally I use Alpine, noise-attenuating plugs.  They seem to be a good compromise, last well and are easily washed.  They can be adjusted for how much noise they let though too.

I had an Akra can on my RT (and I have on my GS too).  With the RT, the noise without the baffles was ridiculous - made my head hurt, never mind anybody else's!  With the baffles in, it was perfect.  Sharpened up the sound, without breaking the windows!

Good luck in the search for your solution.  It'll take time because we're all so bloody different!

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I don't have Tinnitus but as I get older my hearing is starting to go - I struggle to differentiate conversation in a noisy room for example. As I'm keen not to make it any worse I ended up going for custom in-ear monitors. The difference when compared with any other sort of ear plug is huge (for short runs I wear standard foam ear plugs and it's like night and day). If anything they may actually be a little too quiet; I can still hear the engine revving and pick out horns, sirens, etc but trying to hold a conversation while I have the plugs in and helmet on can be a bit challenging. (But then that may also be due to my hearing so perhaps someone else will contribute with a different experience.)

I haven't tried using custom ear-plugs with in-helmet speakers, I suspect you would need the volume up quite far and I'm not convinced how good it would sound. My decision to go with the in-ear monitors means I get excellent quality music (I went with a more expensive twin-driver set designed for stage musicians) and due to the very limited external noise I can keep the audio sounds surprisingly low. As a result I can listen to music while on the motorway and still comfortably make out the important traffic noises around me.
Obviously if you are going with in-ear monitors you need something you can plug them into. I believe the newer bluetooth module for the Schuberth helmets may have detachable speakers, allowing you to connect monitor in their place. Personally, having had a C3 for a couple of years I'm not a fan. Although the helmet is very quiet in general use it is at the price of poor ventilation and if you open the chin vent you get buffeting and noise inside the helmet. I finally decided to let mine go this winter and this time around I have gone with a Shoei Neotec and a Cardo Q3 bluetooth. I have fitted the speakers inside the helmet but can unplug them to connect the monitors instead - so I get the best of both worlds, although I don't use the speakers very often.

I am also finding the RT a lot quieter than my previous bikes (for example my last one was an R1200 GS). I'm just over 6' tall so with the screen at a sensible level (I have an Aeroflow tall screen) I still get some turbulent air hitting the top of the helmet but it's nothing like the full-face blast you get from a bike without similar protection. Even with foam plugs and a couple of hours on the bike I can get off without that 'numb' feeling that I sometimes used to get.

Good luck with finding a solution that works for you.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Got a bit of ringing  8)  I don't need ear plugs in the C3 Pro with a Werks quiet screen. But before I changed the screen I bought some pin lock ear plugs, they are very good, better than foam as it blocks wind noise, but still allows you to hear conversations or the intercom
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: Got a bit of ringing  8)  I don't need ear plugs in the C3 Pro with a Werks quiet screen.

Some might say that those two statements are a bit of a contradiction!

I know we're all grown-ups and all that but I would never ride any bike without earplugs.  My understanding is that it's the persistent noise, not just its loudness that contributes to long-term hearing damage...