Tinnitus and Touring

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2368

Re: Tinnitus and Touring

Post by guest2368 »

I have worked in the oil industry for over 30 years and use hearing protection for about 6 hours every working day.  I have also ridden all sorts of motorcycles for the the same period of time.
I have been using Howard Leight Laser Lite foam plugs (the pink & yellow ones) for as long as I can remember, both at work and on the bike.  Because I am exposed to high levels of noise on a regular basis I am also very careful with my hearing.  My hearing is tested every three years through work and my hearing is only degrading in line with my age.
So, for what it is worth, based on my own practical experience and a bit of clinical testing I highly recommend the Howard Leight Laser Lite foam plugs.

No mater what road you decide to go down with hearing protection, just make sure you use it all the time.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I have used this for 13 years now.

http://www.earplugstore.com/custom-musicians-earplugs.html

I used to get them done at rally's but I use this one now.

You take your own molds and it is pretty cost effective.

It makes a huge difference!

You can hear music at much lower levels.  Wind noise is gone.  Sena is clear.  Still hear surrounding outside sounds.  Just cant say enough.

MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

In my experience 'quiet' is not about the screen or the helmet - it is the combination of both. For example I had a Nolan helmet that was absolutely fine on my FZS1000 but too noisy on my 1200RT. It is a case of finding a helmet/screen combination that works for you. My Shoei Qwest is fine with the RT and so is my Shark S800. I also use custom made earplugs (for shooting and riding) and they are worth their weight in gold. Mine were supplied by Ultimate Ear, are day long comfortable and very effective at reducing wind noise.  It is amazing how earplugs reduce fatigue - particularly when riding all day.  For me, when touring it makes the difference between arriving at the end of day wanting a beer and bed and arriving ready for a shower and a night out.   
Last edited by MEM62 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

MEM62 wrote: It is amazing how earplugs reduce fatigue - particularly when riding all day.  For me, when touring it makes the difference between arriving at the end of day wanting a beer and bed and arriving ready for a shower and a night out. 

agreed...

:clap:
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

RTtourer wrote:
Appreciate the info on the windshield. What's the difference between the C3 and C4?
My understanding the difference between the 2 is a slightly different shape, Schubert put a pro liner in my C3 and it improved the fit greatly. They have excellent customer service also
Jim
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Sorry my mistake
Difference between C3 series and C4, larger viewing area on the C4, plus comes prewired for schuberts new com system. Only disadvantage is volume control wheel on bike isn't interfaced with helmet
Another plus with the new system you can communicate with multiple riders
Jim
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

After years of foam plugs - decided to try moulded. Bought my moulded ear plugs at the NEC bike show from American Stand that come over each year. The company was Fit Ear. Good product - cost £50. Got my Tinnitus from Harleys I think? although riding with visor half open is meant to be very detrimental. :(
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Some might say that those two statements are a bit of a contradiction!

I know we're all grown-ups and all that but I would never ride any bike without earplugs.  My understanding is that it's the persistent noise, not just its loudness that contributes to long-term hearing damage...
had
Yes agree, but being 60 this year and having had 27 years in the military, my hearing is about as bad as its going to get, when I started riding there was no such thing as wearing ear plugs. But I do occasionally wear them but not all the time. Bit like you wear ear plugs when firing weapons, but when doing it for real, you don't get to put your ear plugs in :) So please all be good boys and girls and wear your ear protection at all times.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

My tinnitus has been getting more noticeable this last 5 years or so & particularly more so the last 2.
25 years down t'pit, loud music & biking without plugs when young has done for me!
I've worn plugs for a number of years now, Pinlock at the moment, & never ride without nowadays.
The tinnitus never goes away & I'm not sure if wearing plugs helps but I now err on the side of caution,  albeit rather late  :(
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Taz wrote: I use soft ear plugs and look for the highest SNR (noise reduction) rating I can find, currently at SNR: 39dB.
Can you tell me which brand / type of ear plugs you use. Thanks
These are the ones, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I17P91E/ ... TE_3p_dp_1, You can use them a few times before they no longer stay scrunched up long enough to get back in your ear...  Best I have found for noise reduction and ease of getting in the ear so far!  Hope that helps, Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This is getting interesting.  Three of us on the Pidcock Germany tour next month all with the same affliction.  Can  see there being lots of Ah, What. Excuse me. Pardon.  Can't wait.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: This is getting interesting.  Three of us on the Pidcock Germany tour next month all with the same affliction.  And can see there being lots of Ah, What. Excuse me. Pardon.  Can't wait.
Eh!

Can you say that again... ;D
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

LARGE PILS PLEASE MILES.
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

RTman10 wrote: Wearing a quiet helmet is just as important as fitting an oversized screen in my opinion.  The gap in front of your chin and air vents are where most of the excessive noise can come from as well as any helmet that has the word "race" in its name. 
I think there cannot be many senior riders around who haven't got it.  In my case it became noticeable after discovering you could have music in you lid and it was easier to hear it clearly if you put the volume right up.  I now have a genuine excuse to give up Hoovering though.

This gives me hope...thank you! I thought my riding days were possibly over. I really hope that I can still do some long distance rides too. That's when I truly feel "free".
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

I have permanent hearing loss and very loud tinnitus from a military accident 30 years ago. I've learned to live with it and I don't even notice it unless I think about it or if I'm sick.

I cannot wear in-ear plugs for periods longer than a half hour as my ears start to itch really bad. This includes custom molded ear plugs which is unfortunate because they are incredibly comfortable compared to foamies.

By the end of a long day in the saddle my ears are fatigued so a long tour with long days in the saddle would be hard. One thing I've noticed recently is that the quietest option for me from a helmet perspective is a 3/4 helmet with NO face shield. Full-face helmets and helmets with face shields are way more noisy than helmets with no face shield.

The RT with the Quiet Ride aftermarket windshield and the 3/4 helmet with no face shield is the best solution I have found for my ears thus far. If your ears can tolerate being plugged for hours (test with foamies) then the custom molds are worth the price for sure. And the RT is a great bike for this as well although I did find the stock wind shield to be a little noisy at highway speeds.