I dropped my bike...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mac77

I dropped my bike...

Post by Mac77 »

So, filled up on my way home, pulled on to the drive, on the side stand. Put my helmet, gloves and jacket in the stowage, walk back out to push the bike in to the garage, in auto mode, rather than grab the handle, I put my hand on the seat (how I used to push the Bandit) and before I know it, she's falling away from me! Fortunately, the wheelie bin took the force of the fall on to her right side (thank god for the engine case protectors!)

So, pulled her back up, there was a puddle of oil/fuel on the floor, from the pipe that exits by the centre stand (is this fuel tank overflow?).

Then I found the screw on the floor, that I'm assuming came from the same area as the pipe, as it was right next to the fluid on the floor? Any screw gurus give me an idea where it may be from?!
Attachments
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
guest2360

Re: I dropped my bike...

Post by guest2360 »

One pipe is the overflow from the fuel filler.  The other is an engine breather.  I reckon that bolt is a stray panel bolt that just dropped out.  Wouldn't worry too much as I don't see how you could have damaged anything near the pipes in a simple drop.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Thanks. She's a big old lump when she rolls over! Just couldn't stop it. Fortunately the bin took the weight of the fall. I'll be getting hands on over Easter leave, so will see if I can find where the screw is from 👍
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

We've all been there - and it could have been a lot worse...

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The screw looks like a self tapper with the head chewed up, it's defo. not a panel screw, haven't seen anything like that on my 2012 RT.

Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

You're not the first and certainly [size=78%]won't be the last to drop your bike.[/size]

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Ouch.  We've all been there.  Glad no lasting damage to you or the bike.  Did something similar with my old K1300GT.  It started to fall towards the shiny new car.  Fortunately I got something soft between them just in time - me.  Not sure on the screw.  It could just have been loitering in some nook or cranny until it's world turned through 90 degrees.  Wise to check though.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Dogbreath wrote: You're not the first and certainly [size=78%]won't be the last to drop your bike.[/size]
Yep once they go past THAT  point there's nothing you can do...... :( [attachimg=1]
Attachments
20161030_141941.jpg
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Thanks guys. I dread to think of the screech I made as I tried to grab it as it fell away... thank god i didnt have the side panniers! It's going in to the garage week after next for a full service, to get to the bottom of this 'clunking' at idle, give me a base line and see if the lack of cruise control is a switch issue or not.

Getting used to the character now and loving it!
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Mac77 wrote: Thanks guys. I dread to think of the screech I made as I tried to grab it as it fell away... thank god i didnt have the side panniers!

Interesting...

There's a school of thought that the panniers generally do a good job of protecting some of the more expensive parts of the bike.  You reckon not having them on was a benefit?

timminator

Post by timminator »

richardbd wrote: There's a school of thought that the panniers generally do a good job of protecting some of the more expensive parts of the bike.  You reckon not having them on was a benefit?

I agree Richard, scraping up a pannier is generally a lot less expensive than the alternative.  I have a video here to prove it...at the risk of embarrassing myself. A lesson in proper pillion mounting technique.  (This is me and my girlfriend on our first 2-up ride)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94by4vfyxxsickd/Drop.mov?dl=0
Last edited by timminator on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry to admit that I found it quite amusing..
timminator

Post by timminator »

Sullivj wrote: Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry to admit that I found it quite amusing..
That's ok, I find it quite amusing myself now too, the fact that zero damage occurred makes it a lot easier to laugh.  Note the scuff in the pillion seat where her boot got caught up.  I think that's what triggered the whole thing.  It's really a testament to the BMW cylinder guards and strength of the panniers.
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Well - at least she was kind enough to say sorry!  :-)

Cool that the bike had zero damage though...
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

My panniers are painted the whole side, so would of scuffed? Fortunately, my wheelie bin took the brunt of the weight, through the seat
Attachments
IMG_0879.JPG