I dropped my bike...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: I dropped my bike...

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Here you go.  Badge not available in Halfords. They do travel the other way up though, most of the time.

They look really good, will have to get some, not bothered about the badge  8)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: not bothered about the badge  8)

shame on you... :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Fitting warning.  The strips of adhesive on them is STRONG.  Once they touch the lid that's it.  Without the badge they look like Halfords bumper strips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Without the badge they look like Halfords bumper strips.

With the badge, they look like Halfords bumper strips with BMW badges glued on.

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Maybe but as the badges cost more than the strips I feel I haven't gone all cheap and nasty.  But they definitely work and that's all that matters.
timminator

Post by timminator »

As a follow-up to the video I posted, these pics show the only damage that was sustained in that rather gentle drop.
Attachments
2017-04-08 10.26.25.jpg
2017-04-08 10.25.45.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

timminator wrote: As a follow-up to the video I posted, these pics show the only damage that was sustained in that rather gentle drop.

Amazing!  Goes to show, the RT is quite well though out.  Not many bikes you could drop and have so little damage...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And with the Halfords extensions, none to the pannier lid.  They will cover that though.
timminator

Post by timminator »

RTman10 wrote: And with the Halfords extensions, none to the pannier lid.  They will cover that though.
I need the US equivalent of that.  Been looking at something called snake-skin, which is similar although not quite as thick.
BMW MOA #210438
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

MacJ wrote: <<There are some very effective OEM pannier protectors for yours.&nbsp; From memory they are about £70 but the lids are well over £200 each.&nbsp; Made of a hard rubber compound. >>[/size]

[/size]
Or you could go to Halfords and buy a set of Bumper Protectors for £17.99. [/size]https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-protection/richbrook-bumper-bodywork-protector-370mm
I know these work as I dropped my bike on a patch of diesel and the panniers were unmarked.
With the bike on the centre stand I ran a straight edge from the rear tyre to the panniers and stuck the protector where they meet. They're almost invisible when fitted.

could you be more specific please?

2012 SE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

leonjennings wrote:

could you be more specific please?

About what.&nbsp; On page 2 I have posted pics.&nbsp; Fitted mine with the panniers off.&nbsp; Just lined them up with the ridge in the lid.&nbsp; There are two sizes available.&nbsp; You need the shorter version which are 32cm long.&nbsp; Cost me £9.99.&nbsp;
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

RTman10 wrote:
About what.&nbsp; On page 2 I have posted pics.&nbsp; Fitted mine with the panniers off.&nbsp; Just lined them up with the ridge in the lid.&nbsp; There are two sizes available.&nbsp; You need the shorter version which are 32cm long.&nbsp; Cost me £9.99.

the poster wrote "[size=78%]With the bike on the centre stand I ran a straight edge from the rear tyre to the panniers and stuck the protector where they meet. They're almost invisible when fitted.".........not sure what he meant. [/size]
2012 SE
beemer dood

Post by beemer dood »

It's been suggested to me to have the passenger start out standing as close as possible to the bike when mounting.&nbsp; This decreases the lever arm when they step up onto the peg, using your shoulder as an assist to pull themselves up and then balance on while they swing a leg over.&nbsp; The force is more down, than it is to the side and so there's less force pulling you sideways.&nbsp; It also helps to have the bike leaning to the right a touch (assuming they're mounting from the left side), as that moves them closer to the center of gravity when their weight is on the peg.&nbsp;

My wife keep from marring the saddle (after of course scratching the heck out of it) by stepping up, putting all of her weight on the peg, balancing herself with her left hand on my shoulder, then she uses her right hand to pull her knee towards her chest, raising it high enough to clear the seat.&nbsp; Then she complete the step-over and sits down.&nbsp;

I've dropped my bike, unassisted by a passenger several times, the first time, within 1/2 mile of the dealer when I picked it up.&nbsp; Mildly entertaining, self-deprecating story, but a long one that I'll not tell unless someone is interested.&nbsp; It's kinda off topic.&nbsp;
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

beemer dood wrote: I've dropped my bike, unassisted by a passenger several times, the first time, within 1/2 mile of the dealer when I picked it up.&nbsp; Mildly entertaining, self-deprecating story, but a long one that I'll not tell unless someone is interested.&nbsp; It's kinda off topic.

Sounds like it might be entertaining though, so do share...

timminator

Post by timminator »

beemer dood wrote: I've dropped my bike, unassisted by a passenger several times, the first time, within 1/2 mile of the dealer when I picked it up.&nbsp; Mildly entertaining, self-deprecating story, but a long one that I'll not tell unless someone is interested.&nbsp; It's kinda off topic.

I second the motion!&nbsp; Can't be more embarrassing than the video I put up.
BMW MOA #210438