I dropped my bike...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: I dropped my bike...

Post by richardbd »

timminator wrote:
I second the motion!  Can't be more embarrassing than the video I put up.

We've all got moments like that in our history.  I'm currently sitting at home with my leg all strapped u and crutches beside me, having torn a calf muscle last Sunday, putting my GS on its centre-stand in the garage!!

:-\ :-\
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

richardbd wrote:
We've all got moments like that in our history.  I'm currently sitting at home with my leg all strapped u and crutches beside me, having torn a calf muscle last Sunday, putting my GS on its centre-stand in the garage!!

OUCH! Hope it recovers soon Richard.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

richardbd wrote:

Dear oh dear, you ol' tart you!  What do they say, sympathy....there's only one place for that and that's between sh*t and syphilis in the dictionary!! ;)  No, all joking aside, hope you make a speedy recovery Richard. :)
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

richardbd wrote:

My RT is an absolute bitch to heave onto the centre stand-and yes I have read all the tips how to do it. Perhaps I should just remove panniers, top box , rack, auxiliary lights etc and lose some back end bike weight. :wonder:
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

scunny1 wrote: My RT is an absolute bitch to heave onto the centre stand-and yes I have read all the tips how to do it. Perhaps I should just remove panniers, top box , rack, auxiliary lights etc and lose some back end bike weight. :wonder:

That's interesting. I never had any difficulty putting the RT on the centre stand.  The GS is several tonnes lighter and yet I struggle with it.  I reckon it's like everything else on bikes, it's all so dependent on the combination of bike (stand-length and position as much as weight) and rider (height, weight, technique etc. etc.)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

scunny1 wrote: My RT is an absolute bitch to heave onto the centre stand-and yes I have read all the tips how to do it. Perhaps I should just remove panniers, top box , rack, auxiliary lights etc and lose some back end bike weight. :wonder:

Which RT do you have? The 2010 RTP we have is really hard to put on the centre stand as its got loads of extra stuff on it, including two batteries. My 2014 RT is the easiest big bike I've had, it just flips up. I'm 5ft 8, so not a giant, must be technique.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

My RT is 2015 vintage and coming from a heavier  K1200GT I don't understand  why I struggle with it- My technique hasn't changed, so must be old age! :alas:
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

scunny1 wrote: My RT is 2015 vintage and coming from a heavier  K1200GT I don't understand  why I struggle with it- My technique hasn't changed, so must be old age! :alas:

And your technique is?  I came from a K1600GTLE and in comparison the RT goes on just pressing down on the stand.  No arm power needed at all.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Place the ball of your right foot, with boots or hard-soled shoes on the center-stand tab ,move the stand down to the ground and rock the bike side to side lightly until you feel both feet of the center stand firmly on the ground . The left hand grips the left handlebar and right hand grips the bike / railing near the rear passenger area. Then, as you put most of your weight on your right foot, pull up and back with your hands.  Tell me where I am going wrong?
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
timminator

Post by timminator »

scunny1 wrote: Place the ball of your right foot, with boots or hard-soled shoes on the center-stand tab ,move the stand down to the ground and rock the bike side to side lightly until you feel both feet of the center stand firmly on the ground . The left hand grips the left handlebar and right hand grips the bike / railing near the rear passenger area. Then, as you put most of your weight on your right foot, pull up and back with your hands.  Tell me where I am going wrong?
This is my technique as well, works perfectly for me every time.  I will say that it helps if you get a little momentum on your side.  Start rolling the bike backward just before you step down on the center-stand.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

scunny1 wrote: Place the ball of your right foot, with boots or hard-soled shoes on the center-stand tab ,move the stand down to the ground and rock the bike side to side lightly until you feel both feet of the center stand firmly on the ground . The left hand grips the left handlebar and right hand grips the bike / railing near the rear passenger area. Then, as you put most of your weight on your right foot, pull up and back with your hands.  Tell me where I am going wrong?

Just like me although I put my effort into pushing down on the centre stand and just balancing the bike with my hands.  The harder you push down the easier it goes on.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I wish it had a handle like the Pan, as little assistance can be had from the passenger grab rail owing to it's height. I am babysitting a GSA at the moment while a friend moves house and that is a monster to put on the mainstand.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

blokeonthemove wrote: I wish it had a handle like the Pan, as little assistance can be had from the passenger grab rail owing to it's height. I am babysitting a GSA at the moment while a friend moves house and that is a monster to put on the mainstand.
[/quote

Available on all RTs up until 2004.  Then they must have run out of stock. The 1100/1150s though were much heavier at the rear as they would balance on the centre stand with both wheels  off the ground.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
Just like me although I put my effort into pushing down on the centre stand and just balancing the bike with my hands.  The harder you push down the easier it goes on.

That's exactly what i've done for years and exactly how I tore my calf muscle the Sunday before last!  Attempting to put a laden GS on the centre stand with a turntable under it.  The thickness of the turntable was just enough to alter the stand angle and increase the required effort.  Combined with the additional weight of the luggage meant a fight.  the bike won and I'm on crutches!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have known people who have lowered their bike but have been unwilling to pay to reduce the stand length.  On a 1200 R which was lowered by 1 " it was impossible to get it on.  Bet your turntable added that much. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk