I dropped my bike...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: I dropped my bike...

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I have known people who have lowered their bike but have been unwilling to pay to reduce the stand length.  On a 1200 R which was lowered by 1 " it was impossible to get it on.  Bet your turntable added that much. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So on a factory lowered bike, do they fit a different centre stand? The lowered GS I had as a loaner popped up easily on the centre stand.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I have known people who have lowered their bike but have been unwilling to pay to reduce the stand length.  On a 1200 R which was lowered by 1 " it was impossible to get it on.  Bet your turntable added that much. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, the turntable is less than 1cm thick but it was enough...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
So on a factory lowered bike, do they fit a different centre stand? The lowered GS I had as a loaner popped up easily on the centre stand.

Yes different stand.  Real OEM shows two.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Strange how different people here are finding the same bike more difficult to park.  For me, coming from a K1300GT, the 2016 RT is a dream to get on the stand.  No special technique, just (as has been said above, balance the bike and then stand on the tab - panniers or no panniers.  The 1300 was a hernia threat and did sometimes need some heavy stuff removed.  Without getting into too much detail, might rider weight be the difference?  I'm 17st which may help.....
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Strange how different people here are finding the same bike more difficult to park.  For me, coming from a K1300GT, the 2016 RT is a dream to get on the stand.  No special technique, just (as has been said above, balance the bike and then stand on the tab - panniers or no panniers.  The 1300 was a hernia threat and did sometimes need some heavy stuff removed.  Without getting into too much detail, might rider weight be the difference?  I'm 17st which may help.....

Nope I'm 13 stone  and 5ft 8 and have no issues with the 2014 RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
Nope I'm 13 stone  and 5ft 8 and have no issues with the 2014 RT

Even shorter and lighter, by a tiny bit and much older,  but no problem.
beemer dood

Post by beemer dood »

timminator wrote:
I second the motion!  Can't be more embarrassing than the video I put up.
richardbd wrote:We've all got moments like that in our history.  I'm currently sitting at home with my leg all strapped u and crutches beside me, having torn a calf muscle last Sunday, putting my GS on its centre-stand in the garage!!

By popular demand ...............

Remember the Yosemite Sam cartoon where he gets out of sequence shooting his gun and then blowing down the barrel?  He shoots, then puts the gun to his lips and blows the smoke out of the barrel.  He shoots again and blows again,  He does it again.  Then he points the gun and blows and puts it to his lip and BANG! 

I picked the bike up and since my daughter had driven me out to the dealership, I offered to buy her lunch at a nearby restaurant.  She followed me into the parking lot and them parked.  I pulled in next to her and put the kickstand down.  THE MOTOR STOPPED!  Having come from bikes decades ago, before all this electronic interfacing was around, I wondered if there was a switch on the kickstand that turned the motor off!?  "Engineering genius" I said to myself, remembering the time I got distracted and rode off with my stand down.  Fortunately I caught it before I literally, hit the street. 

But I wasn't sure that in my clumsy noob style (I hadn't ridden in decades, except for a brief test ride) I hadn't hit the kill switch.  So I put the kick stand up, started the bike, and then put the kickstand down.  The engine quit, but I had wiggled around just before putting the stand down and I might have hit the kill switch again.  I put the stand up, started the bike, took my right hand off the throttle, and put the stand down, the engine quit.  "Engineering Genius" confirmed!  Just then my daughter stepped out of her car and turned so that she was facing away from me.  Gleeful at the warm feeling at my incredible intelligence – having purchased such a well designed bike, I put the kick stand up and stepped off and away from the bike.  In slow motion, it seemed, the bike rolled onto its left side.  I did have the presence of mind to step back, to avoid being caught underneath it, but it was my only moment of clarity in the last several.  There was a long and very loud string of expletives that followed, attracting the attention of several people in the area and scaring my daughter, who heard the crunch and my shouts, and thought that I was trapped under the bike.  The Yosemite Sam cartoon flashed before my eyes, I too, had gotten out of sequence. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

beemer dood wrote:  
By popular demand ...............

Remember the Yosemite Sam cartoon where he gets out of sequence shooting his gun and then blowing down the barrel?  He shoots, then puts the gun to his lips and blows the smoke out of the barrel.  He shoots again and blows again,  He does it again.  Then he points the gun and blows and puts it to his lip and BANG! 

I picked the bike up and since my daughter had driven me out to the dealership, I offered to buy her lunch at a nearby restaurant.  She followed me into the parking lot and them parked.  I pulled in next to her and put the kickstand down.  THE MOTOR STOPPED!  Having come from bikes decades ago, before all this electronic interfacing was around, I wondered if there was a switch on the kickstand that turned the motor off!?  "Engineering genius" I said to myself, remembering the time I got distracted and rode off with my stand down.  Fortunately I caught it before I literally, hit the street. 

But I wasn't sure that in my clumsy noob style (I hadn't ridden in decades, except for a brief test ride) I hadn't hit the kill switch.  So I put the kick stand up, started the bike, and then put the kickstand down.  The engine quit, but I had wiggled around just before putting the stand down and I might have hit the kill switch again.  I put the stand up, started the bike, took my right hand off the throttle, and put the stand down, the engine quit.  "Engineering Genius" confirmed!  Just then my daughter stepped out of her car and turned so that she was facing away from me.  Gleeful at the warm feeling at my incredible intelligence – having purchased such a well designed bike, I put the kick stand up and stepped off and away from the bike.  In slow motion, it seemed, the bike rolled onto its left side.  I did have the presence of mind to step back, to avoid being caught underneath it, but it was my only moment of clarity in the last several.  There was a long and very loud string of expletives that followed, attracting the attention of several people in the area and scaring my daughter, who heard the crunch and my shouts, and thought that I was trapped under the bike.  The Yosemite Sam cartoon flashed before my eyes, I too, had gotten out of sequence.

Now that is real comedy!! :-)

:)) :))
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Classic!

When questioned by others, you should just casually say "I always leave it like that"

:enjoying:
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Under Test Conditions. This is what it looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPrCvXLlcyo
:wonder:
beemer dood

Post by beemer dood »

The eternal optimist in me says, "At least you don't have to worry about 'the first scratch' now!" 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Shame they didn't show the extensive damage to the £500+ end can when it's dropped without the panniers on.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

They do on the next clip - not pretty. :(
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

My Hayabusa had a really poor side stand, you had to pull it back as you got off. Early morning, stopped for fuel, then rode round the corner to do tyres, stepped off and the bike came with me! Fortunately, I got my knee under it (the bruises were immense!) and a polish guy ran over to help me get her up. She was a bitch to get on the centre stand, really awkward angle. The RT is a breeze (I'm a short arse at 5'6)