BMW Clothing Availability

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mcbrid

BMW Clothing Availability

Post by mcbrid »

Hi, I'm looking to buy some decent riding gear for this season for my two hobbies of touring on Lambretta Classic scooters (Italy this year) and getting round the Uk on my recently acquired 2013 MY R1200RT
The BMW own brand looks the part but I'm struggling a bit to find either somewhere on line that has the stock or somewhere in the North East (Darlington) where you could actually try stuff on.

2 Questions please

Is there anywhere 'good' to buy from either shop or online and what's the general opinion of the gear itself i.e. quality, effectiveness in use, cost

Appreciate any feedback

(Comments about the scooters allowed!  :) )  But only if you're prepared to join us on our 850 mile trip to Milan! )

Mike
guest2360

Re: BMW Clothing Availability

Post by guest2360 »

All BMW dealers in UK have access to the complete range.  Some stock lots but most if not all will get stuff in for you to try before you buy.  None of it is cheap but I my case it lasts forever and it all has a nice 2 year warranty just in case.
The size range is huge so it's always better to get to a dealer for advice.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Agree (mainly!) with RTman10.  Although, it's worth noting that there is plenty of other kit out there, some of which is undoubtedly better and much of which is definitely cheaper!  Rukka for example provide a 5-year warranty, which appears to be honoured without question.  Klim, the US manufacturer, goes even further and offers a lifetime warranty, which again I know first hand they stand behind.  They've also just introduced some kit that even scooter riders might like!

If you're set on BMW stuff, it's always worth checking multiple dealers for prices - ebay is often your friend for this as lots of them use it to clear stock.

There is also an on-line retailer (German, I think) that has good prices and seems to be reliable.  You can find their UK store at

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/?gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5kwEPqSCzoY7gXAn58oIA8ZBMWx2bi7AS9v8dR6gCEtRoCL3fw_wcB
Last edited by richardbd on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcbrid

Post by mcbrid »

Thanks guys - good advice
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Have a run down to Teesdale Motorcycles in Thirsk. They stock a very good range of motorcycle clothing covering most of the price and quality range. RST, Rukka, Halversons etc.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rukka now provide a 6 year warranty, 5 years as normal then an extra year from the UK distributor  8)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: Rukka now provide a 6 year warranty, 5 years as normal then an extra year from the UK distributor  8)

Even better!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Seem to remember he asked about BMW clothing.  Would appear  nobody on here has any, except me of course who has nothing else.
Please , please nobody take offence over my observation or choice of first class gear.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Seem to remember he asked about BMW clothing.  Would appear  nobody on here has any, except me of course who has nothing else.
Please , please nobody take offence over my observation or choice of first class gear.

Not quite true...

I'm forever extolling the virtues of BMW helmets and I love my 2in1 gloves. 

I don't have a BMW suit as yet but I am contemplating the new airbag jacket...
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

What size jacket are you looking for?
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That would be a very difficult question to answer.  Most of the range is made in 3 categories, basically very tall and skinny, short and not skinny and the one in between.  Add to that different arm and leg lengths and on top of that gents and ladies. 
Even their gloves come in sizes 6 to 13 . Best find a dealer to work out your size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Haven't you got it the wrong way round Mcbrid!! Should you be doing Italy 🇮🇹 on the RT 😜
Good ride that on a old Lammy! Love the scoots, and the Northern Soul scene, even been thinking about a Scomadi!!
But you welcome to shoot me down! Lol
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Love my StreetGuard outfit. Comfy, dry and plenty of vents. Use Rukka at work and​ sweat like a paedophile in a playpen due to poor vents !
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Taz

Post by Taz »

I bought BMW clothing from Lloyds of Carlisle when I got my RT and they were very helpful. I bought the grey BMW jacket with yellow sleeves which is last year's model and being sold at a discount, if you haggle. Some dealers are also selling it on eBay, again at a discount.

In my humble opinion it's very good clothing and will hopefully last many years.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Taz wrote: I bought BMW clothing from Lloyds of Carlisle when I got my RT and they were very helpful. I bought the grey BMW jacket with yellow sleeves which is last year's model and being sold at a discount, if you haggle. Some dealers are also selling it on eBay, again at a discount.

In my humble opinion it's very good clothing and will hopefully last many years.

That's the problem with it.  It never wear's out.