Newbie... 4 weeks in...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mac77

Newbie... 4 weeks in...

Post by Mac77 »

so, I'm 4 weeks in with the beast. Learning the characteristics of the bike. There is definitely something 'loose', causing the 'clunk' below 2k (it sounds like an old tractor!)  I'm thinking the alternator casing is cracked?!?

Previous post, but I dropped her, fortunately caught by the wheelie bin! I gave her a wash, to get hands on and see what damage I'd done. Fortunately, nothing. However, did beg the question (Haynes manual doesn't cover it) how do I get the 'wind deflectors' off to clean under? (Bike was sat in sea air for 2 years, got mouldy) I want to just pull them, but can imagine they have some special way to pull out...
Attachments
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
mbro

Re: Newbie... 4 weeks in...

Post by mbro »

Removal of the wind deflectors...  I had those off this winter doing some similar cleaning.  Steps:

Use the torx L shaped tool from your tool kit - insert it into the bottom of the mirror housing and change the position of the mirror until the torx tool goes into the set screw (behind the mirror glass).  Once loosened, remove mirror glass and don't drop them.
Remove the torx bolts that secure the mirror housings.  Also remove the torx bolts that hold the front body work and signal lights on.  Turn out the signal bulbs, put the combined body piece and signal lights aside.  Don't drop them.
You'll need to remove the instrument cluster bezel - 4 small torx screws.
Remove the torx screws that hold the windshield in.  There's 4 of them.  Put the windshield aside. 
Now I'm going by memory.  I believe there was another piece that needed to be removed from the front to access the philips screws that hold the small winglets in place.  If you've gotten this far, it should be fairly obvious.  Hopefully I didn't scare you away from doing this.  It really wasn't that hard, only took a few minutes.  It takes a bit of time the first time (primarily with removing the mirrors - kind of fiddly). 

Persistence pays off. 

Let us know how it goes, maybe take a few photos along the way for the benefit of anyone else who wants to do something similar.

Mac77

Re: Newbie... 4 weeks in...

Post by Mac77 »

Thanks mbro. I'm planning to strip her down this leave period; paint the peg board, fuel filler cap, clean bits like this. I'll take pics and post 👍 I've come from simple suzuki, so learning the way these bikes are built