Linked Brakes

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Linked Brakes

Post by Casbar »

So there is a spirited discussion on another forum I browse (US Centric) about linked brakes. There is a very strong opinion that with the BMW linked bakes you no longer need to use the rear at all when braking and only use the rear for slow riding. Now I have not changed the way I brake because the bike has linked brakes. On my Harley it also had linked brakes, which operated independantly below 25 mph and even if using the rear above that speed, it only put 3 of the 6 front pistons into play on the front.

So does the BMW system work differently in that if you put the front on full, the rears would also be on full, so negating the need to use the rear brake?

This by the way won't alter the way I apply brakes.  8)
BeeJay

Re: Linked Brakes

Post by BeeJay »

I had linked brakes on my Pan and I seem to remember that the front (hand) brake applied 2/3 of the front and 1/3 of the rear brakes. The rear (foot) brake operated 1/3 front and 2/3 rear.
So to get max braking both need to be operated.
BMW may be different but the principle should be similar.
Some one with more techie knowledge than me will no doubt give a better explanation.
^-^
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BeeJay wrote: I had linked brakes on my Pan and I seem to remember that the front (hand) brake applied 2/3 of the front and 1/3 of the rear brakes. The rear (foot) brake operated 1/3 front and 2/3 rear.
So to get max braking both need to be operated.
BMW may be different but the principle should be similar.
Some one with more techie knowledge than me will no doubt give a better explanation.
^-^

The linked brakes on a Honda are mechanically linked.  Not so on  BMWs which are electrically linked.  Squeeze the lever and the back will be applied by the correct amount to optimise the braking.  Just press the pedal  and you only get the back one on.  In normal situations I never bother with the pedal.  Applying both in a panic situation will make no difference.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I use the Front Lever, which, as explained operates both Front and Rear brakes. I use the Rear on it's own to steady things up during U turns or negotiating down hill hairpins to scrub off a bit of speed. Good system.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not sure I will be able to re-train myself to not use the pedals as I always have  :(
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote: Not sure I will be able to re-train myself to not use the pedals as I always have  :(

It takes no longer than getting away from the clutch lever when you have Pro shift. Even for old people.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote:
It takes no longer than getting away from the clutch lever when you have Pro shift. Even for old people.

Lol. but as I ride lots of different bikes I might just stick to what I normally do as its probably not doing any harm, don't use the rear much during normal riding anyway.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

RTman10 wrote:
In normal situations I never bother with the pedal.  Applying both in a panic situation will make no difference.
Not true.  You can prove this if you are willing to burn a little rubber.  Find a straight stretch of road and get up to 40.  Pick a designated stopping point and brake fully with the front brake handle only.  Measure the distance.  Try it again.  Now use both brakes.  Measure the distance.

Better yet, go to the BMW training courses in CA or SC.  You will get a demo and a good explanation of the braking system by the factory guys,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And the difference is? I have never noticed any difference in the real world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Sure I have read on other forums ,applying the rear brake pedal increases braking effect. Personally only use it in panic mode where 40 odd years biking logic kicks in automatically.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

scunny1 wrote: Sure I have read on other forums ,applying the rear brake pedal increases braking effect. Personally only use it in panic mode where 40 odd years biking logic kicks in automatically.

I also believe this to be true - it's the same on the GS.

I use the rear pedal a lot in normal riding because a dab of rear brake is a great way to settle a bike ahead of a bend, without upsetting its balance by loading up the front end.  This is a particularly useful trick riding the tournanti of alpine roads...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote:
I also believe this to be true - it's the same on the GS.

I use the rear pedal a lot in normal riding because a dab of rear brake is a great way to settle a bike ahead of a bend, without upsetting its balance by loading up the front end.  This is a particularly useful trick riding the tournanti of alpine roads...

But remember BMW will,tell you that telelever doesn't load up the front end when braking.  That's why they don't dive under braking. Lots of independent use of the rear brake only is also very expensive on the pads especially on the GS.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
But remember BMW will,tell you that telelever doesn't load up the front end when braking.  That's why they don't dive under braking. Lots of independent use of the rear brake only is also very expensive on the pads especially on the GS.

It's true that BMW tell us that.  It's also true that the telelever doesn't dive to the same extent as forks  but they do still get unsettled under undue front braking - part of the reason for continual development of self-levelling suspension.

If it were 100% true, there would be no need for a rear brake pedal at all.

Mind you, I agree with the point about wearing out pads, although (so far) the GS seems less bad that the RT was...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You would still need the rear brake for slow riding  8)  Not one for comfort braking before a bend either, its ok if you really need it, but what happens is the rider develops a habit of doing it before every bend so following someone who does this is all the time is a pain - got a right blocking for doing it by a Police instructor when I started doing the advanced stuff. Time and a place for everything though every situation is different. But I'm still going to use my brakes as I always have.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: You would still need the rear brake for slow riding  8)  Not one for comfort braking before a bend either, its ok if you really need it, but what happens is the rider develops a habit of doing it before every bend so following someone who does this is all the time is a pain - got a right blocking for doing it by a Police instructor when I started doing the advanced stuff. Time and a place for everything though every situation is different. But I'm still going to use my brakes as I always have.

Actually I don't entirely agree.  I'm an IAM National Observer and one thing you don't criticise associates for is use of the brakes for adjusting speed prior to cornering - far from it, it's to be encouraged.  The mantra is "gears are for going and brakes are for slowing" and it's nearly always people who are reluctant to use the brakes properly who fail to make sufficient progress.  Of course, excessive use of brakes is often a sign of poor planning, in turn a sign of inadequate vision.  Correct use of brakes prior to dealing with a hazard is the hallmark of a good advanced rider and is a million miles away from "comfort" braking.  If anybody is discomforted by the person in front applying the brakes (rider or driver) the issue isn't the vehicle in front, it's the vehicle behind following in an inappropriate position.

Lecture over...

;) ;)