Clearwater Billie Brake Light

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Taz

Clearwater Billie Brake Light

Post by Taz »

Has anyone here bought and fitted a Clearwater Billie Brake Light? I have and I am wondering where is the best place to mount it.

Thanks.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Clearwater Billie Brake Light

Post by timminator »

Taz wrote: Has anyone here bought and fitted a Clearwater Billie Brake Light? I have and I am wondering where is the best place to mount it.

Thanks.
It was designed to replace the factory license plate holder, with the light at the bottom.  There's also the Billie Jr, which is only the bottom portion of the plate holder.  Am I missing your question?
Attachments
Billie_Jr_Product_sm_grande.jpg
billiephoto_grande.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have the miniature version. In the U.K. we do not have the same licence plate holder as you do in the US, instead we simply screw the licence plate onto the plastic mudguard. Also our licence plate is a different size to yours in the US, ours is much bigger (and it's not often that the UK can say that to the US !!!) ^-^
timminator

Post by timminator »

Taz wrote: I have the miniature version. In the U.K. we do not have the same licence plate holder as you do in the US, instead we simply screw the licence plate onto the plastic mudguard. Also our licence plate is a different size to yours in the US, ours is much bigger (and it's not often that the UK can say that to the US !!!) ^-^
Ahhh, I understand your question now.  In general it seems that bringing the light higher makes it more effective, puts it closer to eye-level with the person following you.  That's why so many vehicles now have the 3rd brake light in the rear window.

I guess you don't have that many options unless you have the topcase, in which case you'd probably want the BMW builtin brake light.  I am intrigued by some of the helmet brake lights I have seen lately.  They are battery powered and activate if there's any deceleration, whether engine braking or real brakes.
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

No, but I have fitted Skene P3 brake lights just above my number plate as I don't use the top box for the majority of the time. They are very bright and also provide a brighter rear light. You can also get them to flash and stuff, but I just have them on constant. Just passed its first MOT with no issues, so guess they are ok  8)
Taz

Post by Taz »

Update. So I have fitted the Billie Brake light - if anyone runs into the back of me it is because they have had their retinas burned by the brightness of the light!!

I mounted the light onto the bottom of the number plate as that was the easiest way given the location of the mounting brackets. The only problem is that the number plate tilts backwards and therefore so does the brake light, therefore I can't be sure that it is seen at its brightness by people behind - I will test it tomorrow night to see.

Yes, it's expensive (like all of the Clearwater products) but it is sensationally bright and hopefully will help stop anyone running into me.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Taz. I would be interested to hear about your experience of fitting the brake light and what is involved. As you know I already have fitted Darlas. Thanks in advance.
Taz

Post by Taz »

The biggest issue was where to mount it. The unit is in a very well made and machined aluminium case with two fixing brackets at the top. I will upload a picture shortly.

Initially I thought about trying to fix it to the top box rack but could not figure out a way to do it.

Then I considered trying to find a way to mount it immediately above the number plate but again found this a problem without going to the trouble of making some bespoke brackets.

So I finally settled on fixing it to the bottom of the number plate. It's not ideal as the number plate is not vertical and hence neither is the brake light. I have a feeling that I will get fed up with this and make some bespoke mounting brackets myself.

I ran the wiring up the edge of the rear mudguard and then under the rear seat trim, back to the tail unit where the Can Opener is mounted. I will take some photos.

It's a great device but obviously made for the American market and their style of number plate.
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

I plan on riding with and without the large 49L top case which does not have an integrated brake light installed.

Clearwater confirmed that their Canopener unit will drive two Billies - so I'm going to put one on the plate (yes I'm US) but before mounting it, I'll be taking a good look at it to see how to get a second mounted to the top case and wire it in that way.  Pricey but I like to do all I can to be seen.

Taz

Post by Taz »

I would be interested in seeing how it is mounted in the US using your number plate format. Would really appreciate a photo.  Thanks.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Ok, so here are some photos. Showing how I have mounted the Billie Brake Light below the number plate, how I have spaced off the top of the number plate to make it a bit more vertical and lastly how I have routed the cable (it's stuck in place with some clear glue).  Not a work of art and I may do it a different way in the future, but for now, it's ok.

Last edited by Taz on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Taz wrote: Ok, so here are some photos. Showing how I have mounted the Billie Brake Light below the number plate, how I have spaced off the top of the number plate to make it a bit more vertical and lastly how I have routed the cable (it's stuck in place with some clear glue).  Not a work of art and I may do it a different way in the future, but for now, it's ok.

Sorry but can't seem to get the photos to display.  They are visible when I write the post but not when I actually post it - any ideas?

Re: Clearwater Billie Brake LightImage
[/size]
Whenever you put a URL on this forum, it changes it from h-t-t-p:// to https://, I haven't found a way around it.  For example, your photos are at h-t-t-p://i65.tinypic.com/34g27ps.jpg, but it's getting changed to https://i65.tinypic.com/34g27ps.jpg. If you can just download the photos directly to your system, and then upload that way, it will embed them and should work.
Last edited by timminator on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Taz

Post by Taz »

Timminator,

Thanks, I've spent ages trying to upload the photos.  I have tried uploading them into the forum gallery but that does not work either. I have reduced their density but that is not working either - fed up with this.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Taz wrote: Timminator,

Thanks, I've spent ages trying to upload the photos.  I have tried uploading them into the forum gallery but that does not work either. I have reduced their density but that is not working either - fed up with this.
Let me see if I can get them uploaded for you.
Attachments
dr8j2v.jpg
34g27ps.jpg
qn1uva.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
Taz

Post by Taz »

Thank you. Please tell me sometime how you did that.