'Surging' at motorway speed...

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Mac77

'Surging' at motorway speed...

Post by Mac77 »

Ok guys, I've commuted on the bike daily since buying 4 weeks ago, down the A3, so never on a steady throttle for a time. I went to Poole Bike Night last night, then to Bournemouth, via Salisbury, for a blast today. What I noticed at a steady, *cough*, 85 last night and today was at a steady speed, the bike seemed to 'surge' slightly. Like it was wanting to go quicker, but it was dragging a 100kg weight. At this speed, to do an overtake, open the throttle and it sort of pauses, open a bit more, then goes? Is this a TPS issue? Rear wheel spins freely.

She's going in on Tue for a full service (all fluids, plugs, filters, valves, TB sync, etc) but want the mechanic to look into this if it isn't going to be cured by the above. I've got no warning lights, so it'll be interesting to see if any warning codes come up.  She's on her 4th tank of either bp ultimate or shell v-power. I've put IPA through once (gets any water in the tank through, used to help prevent carb icing in carb'd bikes), so can't see it being crap fuel/water.

When she goes, I love the noise and torque, just need to see if this agricultural judder below 2k and this surging is a service issue.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: 'Surging' at motorway speed...

Post by T6pilot »

Mac
Didn't see the year of your bike

Jim
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So your bike is about 10 years old and for the last 2 years has hardly moved and been left to corrode by the sea.  Seems to not had a service for 16000 miles as well.  And all,it's doing is surging a bit at 85mph .  Amazing.  Who is going to service it, BMW or an independent. Your problem might just be a coil one.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Sorry, it's an 07.

I'm hoping it's something simple like a coil rtman.