General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Humble Pie

Post by k9doc »

In a fit of pique and bad temper over faulty right hand switchgear, I unwisely sold my 2011 TC early last year replacing it with a Honda CBF1000. A fine workhorse of a bike very underrated I think and very reliable. BUT it is what it is and I found myself constantly missing the refinement and class of the RT. Not wishing to invest large sums in an LC, mainly because I don't do the miles that I used to, and after eating a generous portion of humble pie I managed to find a very nice low mileage 2013 Anniversary Edition. Should know better as this will be my fourth RT so I'm hoping this one sticks around a little longer.
Hope to put a few names to faces over the course of this season.
Chris
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: Humble Pie

Post by Sullivj »

Welcome 'back'.

I had the CBF600, so I have some idea what you mean. Ultra reliable, but not a lot of character.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Welcome back Chris, see you at the Northern meet in May & get yourself booked up for Tewkesbury in July.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Thanks chaps.

@David,

Is the May thread the 'Northern Monkeys' 13/14 May at the National Mining Museum? Is this a weekend or just a day out around the Peak District which is incidentally my home turf ?

Unfortunately prior commitment for Saturday 8th July but might be able to manage a meet up in Matlock on Monday 10th. Could give you the 'twopenny tour' away from the hotspots if that sounds agreeable.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:Is the May thread the 'Northern Monkeys' 13/14 May at the National Mining Museum? Is this a weekend or just a day out around the Peak District which is incidentally my home turf?
The date (one day only) is either Sat. 13th or Sun. 14th May, TBC nearer the time weather dependant, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:Unfortunately prior commitment for Saturday 8th July but might be able to manage a meet up in Matlock on Monday 10th. Could give you the 'twopenny tour' away from the hotspots if that sounds agreeable.
We'll be heading home on Monday 10th July, how about a meet in Matlock for another month, starting with June.

The Premier Inn Matlock looks perfect.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: We'll be heading home on Monday 10th July, how about a meet in Matlock for another month, starting with June.

The Premier Inn Matlock looks perfect.

May I respectfully suggest that if the meet were to be on a weekend, then Matlock and particularly Matlock Bath should be avoided like the plague, unless it's purely for accommodation and to head out immediately.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: The date (one day only) is either Sat. 13th or Sun. 14th May, TBC nearer the time weather dependant, /viewtopic.php?t=9

Got that, thanks.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:May I respectfully suggest that if the meet were to be on a weekend, then Matlock and particularly Matlock Bath should be avoided like the plague, unless it's purely for accommodation and to head out immediately.
The suggestion was for accommodation, followed by a guided ride out.

Being ReTired, it could be midweek.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: The suggestion was for accommodation, followed by a guided ride out.

Being ReTired, it could be midweek.

Understood.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I feel a new thread coming on.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi, going back to the original thread. I did it the other way round. After returning to two wheels after a few decades got the CBF1000 as it was the only sensible bike I could get my feet down on. After putting 10k on that in 18 months found the one I wanted, a factory lowered RT with a low seat. Having ridden it down to Lucca and use it for my commute wouldn't change it, maybe after another 15k might consider the LC version. It is a great bit of kit, n[size=2px]ow a very happy bunny[/size].
thanks and regards, Ganesh
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

k9doc wrote: ..... I managed to find a very nice low mileage 2013 Anniversary Edition ..... this will be my fourth RT so I'm hoping this one sticks around a little longer .....
Good choice - I loved my 2013 Anniversary Edition. :)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

gogs01 wrote: Good choice - I loved my 2013 Anniversary Edition. :)
You're right, I think the bike looks good in black and the gold bits go nicely. The previous owner has fitted a Touratech oil cooler guard which in my view enhances the bike's good looks. Expecting someone to come along and tell me that the engine is in danger of overheating and such guards are not recommended. Guess what? IDGAF!
Chris
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

k9doc wrote: You're right, I think the bike looks good in black and the gold bits go nicely. The previous owner has fitted a Touratech oil cooler guard which in my view enhances the bike's good looks. Expecting someone to come along and tell me that the engine is in danger of overheating and such guards are not recommended. Guess what? IDGAF!

You'll probably find the guard is fine - as long as it has a BMW logo embossed on it.  Failing that, I suggest you glue one on, otherwise the bike will definitely overheat...