Top Box BMW and Givi - Back Rest

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Topphoto1

Top Box BMW and Givi - Back Rest

Post by Topphoto1 »

Not sure if this have been questioned before, I am undecided about the BMW or Givi Top Box, but my firt issue is all the info about the weight they can take! All talk of 10kg.

This brings me to the back rest! If the box is to flimsy on the mount! And can't take more than 10kg how's does the pillion get on with their weight against the Rest on the Box?

Trying to purchase a box but this back rest issue got me thinking! And ideas appreciated. 🙉 Obviously looking for one that talks to lids. But does the box really need a back rest or is it cosmetic with a mild rest so the pillion dose not get jabbed in the back! Not really for resting against!!!!!! Hummmm
Smile you ride a BMW.
Taz

Re: Top Box BMW and Givi - Back Rest

Post by Taz »

I bought the 2013 model top box from a German supplier through eBay. It fits on the LC mounting plate and comes complete with a back rest. It costs under £400 so is much cheaper than the latest model.

You don't get central locking or high level brake light but you can get a lock barrel and link it to your existing key (I did it, it's a 10 minute job).

A Canadian guy called "Chris On The Street" on YouTube has a video that shows how to fit the lock.

My wife does not lean against the cushion pad but likes the reassurance that it's there.

The box does take two lids.
Last edited by Taz on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Taz

Post by Taz »

There's one on eBay now at £270 which is a bargain.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Topphoto1

Post by Topphoto1 »

Cheers, lol yep I am bidding on that very top box 😉, I think the back rest thing came up when I looked at the Givi as apposed to the overpriced BMW (second hand). If the bids went stupid I was opting for the Givi Maxia, but the Back Rest is extra and did not know it was really needed, the comment about the reassurance it probably most of it cheers, it a lot of wonga to part with if you are not to impressed with it! 🤔
Smile you ride a BMW.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I've got the Givi Maxia with a back rest, The Mrs says it makes no difference to comfort but lessens her room by about an Inch. I'd get the top box again but wouldn't bother with the back rest.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Topphoto1

Post by Topphoto1 »

Cool, nice one thanks, Simbo and Taz, pics also help, I can get a Givi for the same price as a second hand BM top box, nice to hear it from the horses mouth.
Smile you ride a BMW.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Topphoto1 wrote: Cool, nice one thanks, Simbo and Taz, pics also help, I can get a Givi for the same price as a second hand BM top box, nice to hear it from the horses mouth.

Just remember not to leave anything of value in it.  They can be opened with a teaspoon
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote:
Just remember not to leave anything of value in it.  They can be opened with a teaspoon

I wondered when you'd be along to try and cast your aspersions on anything non BMW. You have proof of this spoon procedure? Did you know Givi have a new locking system on their top boxes now?  ::)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I know of two who have had a GPS stolen out of them.  I agree not recently but last year they still only seem to have one locking point at the centre rear.  Is that still the case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote: I know of two who have had a GPS stolen out of them.  I agree not recently but last year they still only seem to have one locking point at the centre rear.  Is that still the case?

No.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

How many?

simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote: How many?

The 'locking points' isn't the question asked by the OP and I have no interest in furthering your knowledge in how to open one with a spoon  ;)  If the OP or anyone else looking to 'purchase' a 'Givi' top box wants to see the locking system I'll glady take pictures.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Still just the one then.

simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote: Still just the one then.

Why did you ask if you knew all the time?  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I assume , maybe wrongly you would have enlightened me if it had multiple locking points.  My original comment was only to point out they can be a bit fragile as can anything made of plastic of course.