Top Box BMW and Givi - Back Rest

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Top Box BMW and Givi - Back Rest

Post by Steve F »

I found the Givi box to be far more flexible,ie thinner plastic than the Beemer box, and that was my main reason for opting for the OEM 49 litre box instead of the Givi. Yes, a very practical well-priced box but not as secure IMHO.
Topphoto1

Post by Topphoto1 »

So now I am being told irrelevant of the back rest etc, that £1000 of helmets ain't safe in a top box? Wow designed for you helmets, all the hype about getting 2 in there, are they really not safe, factual information pretty please lol
Smile you ride a BMW.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Topphoto1 wrote: So now I am being told irrelevant of the back rest etc, that £1000 of helmets ain't safe in a top box? Wow designed for you helmets, all the hype about getting 2 in there, are they really not safe, factual information pretty please lol

Why don't you visit a dealer and look at the build of the OEM box.  Do the same with a Givi.  That way you can make your own mind up.  Back to your original question.  the front of the BMW box is slightly dished so the backrest is a more comfortable shape and doesn't take up extra space.  And you don't need to buy it separately. And you don't need an extra baseplate.  It also has two locking points at the back and one each side.  Happy Easter to you.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Topphoto1 wrote: So now I am being told irrelevant of the back rest etc, that £1000 of helmets ain't safe in a top box? Wow designed for you helmets, all the hype about getting 2 in there, are they really not safe, factual information pretty please lol

Fact 1. Yes the BMW box is better quality than the Givi. Fact 2. The BMW box is more than twice the price of the Givi. Fact 3. They're both made of plastic and could broken into or destroyed in no time at all. Fact 4. Nobody should ever leave anything of any great value in a plastic box.

ps. If you have more than one bike? The Givi can be used on that bike/s as well with the purchase of a relatively inexpensive mounting plate.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote: I know of two who have had a GPS stolen out of them.  I agree not recently but last year they still only seem to have one locking point at the centre rear.  Is that still the case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely agree with you now on the 'older' Givi top boxes having a less than secure locking system, I was out with a friend on his ST1100 at the weekend and he has an early Givi E460 box and I noticed the clasp which secures the lid down is openly visible to be tampered with and could probably like you say 'be opened with a spoon'.. I however had a later model E460 which had a cover over the clasp which would make it more secure but still the same locking system. The Givi top box I have now 'Maxia' has a totally different locking system to the previous models and although still plastic seems like it would be more difficult to break into if anyone wanted to steal my waterproofs and flask  ;)
Re: Top Box BMW and Givi - Back RestImage

Last edited by simbo on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Topphoto1

Post by Topphoto1 »

Well I spent out on a box as well as everything else lol, quite happy with it apart from the thing moves a about quite a bit, so I packed out with Foam stuck down and it's worked. Something told me it should not be such a sloppy fit on the Rack but heyho.
I must say it's an art to get the short legged missus on the back, easiest way looks to be she gets on first, and I hoof my leg over! And she leans out so I can pull the bike off the side stand, was hard work! Not filled it yet or had a real requirement that's needed it, but the panniers I can easily fill along with the massive tank bag, picnics etc 🤔😂.
The missus has said that the rear top box is very comfortable and give a bit of reassurance! Thanks again for all your inputs, knowledge is key 🔑  :silence:

Smile you ride a BMW.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Topphoto1 wrote:Well I spent out on a box, quite happy with it apart from the thing moves a about quite a bit.
Seems to be a trait of BMW top boxes, I've had a guy pass me, flag me down and say, "your top box is wobbling about".

It's not the only one, however, Givi boxes do seem more secure.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote:

It's not the only one, however,
Some worse than others apparently.
Honda supposedly design theirs that way (to float) as it helps with the instability issues caused by fitting one in the first place. (Heads down  :whistle: ). I therefore comfort myself in the knowledge that they are supposed to do it. If it's good enough for Honda.....................

Chris