LC 2015

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Duggie

LC 2015

Post by Duggie »

Picked up a 2015 LC a few days back, after covering a few hundred miles I'm a little disappointed, before the LC I had a 2010 model so I had something to compare it to.
The LC engine is the biggest improvement by far (other than the clutch noise) it takes off like a scalded cat, even in 6th gear.
The biggest disappointment is the gearbox, I'm hoping in time the clunking will quieten down !
I still have the 2010 and I won't be letting this one go anytime soon.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: LC 2015

Post by Casbar »

Mine is a 2014. 9k now, gearbox hasn't got any quieter :)
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

It's a shame really, a good bike could have been a brilliant bike if it wasn't for that gearbox, just can't understand how, or why Bmw got that bit wrong
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

It seems to be individual to the bike.  My old K12GT and K13GT had really awful engagement from neutral into first and would occasionally find a false neutral.  The 2016LC is quite an improvement on both of those.  Sometimes I get the traditional BMW chuck-a-brick-in-a-cementmixer clonk into first, but not always.  After that it is pretty smooth, especially with the quickshifter.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sprintgull wrote: It seems to be individual to the bike.  My old K12GT and K13GT had really awful engagement from neutral into first and would occasionally find a false neutral.  The 2016LC is quite an improvement on both of those.  Sometimes I get the traditional BMW chuck-a-brick-in-a-cementmixer clonk into first, but not always.  After that it is pretty smooth, especially with the quickshifter.

I agree.  My 14 lets you know when you engage first when its warm but the rest of the gears up and down are as good as silent. In Pro shift its just silky smooth.  Mind you I came from a 1600 so have hearing damage from its gearbox
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

My 2014 RT was my first BMW.  I just assumed all BMW gear boxes were like that - bit clunky and neutral hard to find.  At first it was odd, coming from a Ducati that a neutral between every pair of gears, up or down the box, to the RT that only had half a neutral - I never did figure out how to find it from 2nd.  I just got used to it and it never spoiled my enjoyment of the bike.

AT the beginning of this year I swapped to a 2017 GS and the difference in the gear box is amazing.  This one's like a Honda and the shift-assist is way smoother too.

Don't know what they've done differently but it certainly works...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote:
I agree.  My 14 lets you know when you engage first when its warm but the rest of the gears up and down are as good as silent. In Pro shift its just silky smooth.  Mind you I came from a 1600 so have hearing damage from its gearbox

1st clunky, you can hear second as well. All ok after second and with gear shift pro.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I used to laugh when setting off from lights on my 2010 RT with my brother on his K1600GT. First would always slip in silently and the 1600 would clang into first no matter what technique my brother used (and it really bothered him). My current bike is silent going in to first when cold but a bit noisy when hot. That's not enough to make me want to go back to a twin cam even though I really liked that bike.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

gogs01 wrote: I used to laugh when setting off from lights on my 2010 RT with my brother on his K1600GT. First would always slip in silently and the 1600 would clang into first no matter what technique my brother used (and it really bothered him). My current bike is silent going in to first when cold but a bit noisy when hot. That's not enough to make me want to go back to a twin cam even though I really liked that bike.

which was the second reason I got rid of my 1600.  The first was 360kg empty and I got fed up with picking up.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

My 17LC is embarrassing at traffic lights when I select 1st.
It sounds like I haven't pulled the clutch in it's that noisy.  I also feel the gears meshing in together with my foot.

Also I have to pull the clutch in at traffic lights or standing still waiting to pull away as the thrust bearing noise is also embarrassing, pull the clutch in and its all nice and quiet.

I'm just trying to clock the miles up so I can get the first service booked and see if the bike is any different when I get it back.

Still totally love the bike though  :) [size=78%] [/size]
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

It's like BMW engineered the engine and bought the gearbox from LIDL.

After coming from the TC bike I really wanted to be more impressed by the wet head, but at the moment I have this flat feeling, hopefully the more I ride it the more it'll grow on me.
I still have the TC and only recently put Dunlop roadsmart 3's on, this bike handles like it's on rails, if anyone has any doubts about these tyres, don't !  They are superb.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Duggie wrote: It's like BMW engineered the engine and bought the gearbox from LIDL.

Bit unfair on Lidl - more like Wilkos...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Bit unfair on Lidl - more like Wilkos...

Like I've said many times, you ought to try a Harley, the BMW gearbox is like butter compared to the previous bikes I've owned.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote:
Like I've said many times, you ought to try a Harley, the BMW gearbox is like butter compared to the previous bikes I've owned.

As a 'Harley' rider myself, I can relate with this comment  ;D 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote:
As a 'Harley' rider myself, I can relate with this comment  ;D

What do you ride? I had a Heritage Softail for 6 years and a CVO Road King for 2 years, before I let them go and bought the RT