Small motorcycle compressor

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Royal

Small motorcycle compressor

Post by Royal »

hi guy's
I recently got a puncture on my rear tyre  :shirty:  on my way home from work, no problem as I always carry a puncture repair kit and an 'airman' compressor. Removed the offending item from the tyre and repaired it here's where my problem started. The compressor comes ready to plug into the power sockets so I plug it in turned the ignition on switched the compessor on and ......nothing! :shirty: .
The compressor attempts to start but doesn't so have any of you guys had similar problems or can recommend a small compress that actually works on BMW power sockets?
By the way I tried the compressor using my wife's car 'cigarette ' power socket and it works ok :shirty:
Dogbreath

Re: Small motorcycle compressor

Post by Dogbreath »

You may have blown the fuse for the accessory socket? I've done that on a different bike with an airman.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Dogbreath wrote: You may have blown the fuse for the accessory socket? I've done that on a different bike with an airman.

Or - the compressor is using more than 10Amps when it starts - not uncommon.
The bike's electronics are blocking everything that do use more than 10Amp from the sockets.

BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Hornig sell compressor that plugs straight in.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hornig say,
"Please note: If your bike has a CanBus electrical system (most 2005 models and later BMWs),  the inherent design of your bike's accessory outlet may not power this pump when the engine is not running.
However, you can also install one of our accessory outlets which are wired directly to your battery."

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... -Pump.html
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The AirMan’s Tour maximum power draw is 10amps, http://www.airman-uk.com/inflators/tour
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Was referring to Dynaplug micro pro. Video showing it in use on rt.
Last edited by BoB21 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Dynaplug Micro Pro has a max current of 4.5A, http://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/dyna ... o_inflator
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I've found the best way to solve CANBUS issue is to install an additional powerlet plug, directly wired to battery with a fuse
On my 15 I installed it in the triangler panel behind the battery could have also installed below the factory one on right upper fairing, my buddy rewired factory plug to battery direct
Jim
Royal

Post by Royal »

Thanks guys for your replies, all very interesting  :)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

T6pilot wrote: I've found the best way to solve CANBUS issue is to install an additional powerlet plug, directly wired to battery with a fuse
On my 15 I installed it in the triangler panel behind the battery could have also installed below the factory one on right upper fairing, my buddy rewired factory plug to battery direct

That's exactly what I did after realising my mini compressor wouldn't work with the bike, Mines just tucked under the passenger seat out of the way until required.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Royal

Post by Royal »

Hi Simbo, where did you get your power socket from? I think this is what I'll be doing  :)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Royal wrote: Hi Simbo, where did you get your power socket from? I think this is what I'll be doing  :)

Hi, I got it of eBay, I just searched Motorcycle Waterproof 12v Aux Socket, Mine has an 'inline' fuse fitted but this one doesn't mention it in the ad but looks the same, I've had it about 4 years now and it's on it's 3rd bike without issue.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-120W-Motorcycle- ... Swu4BV1Y8u
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Same here. Also use it on the rare occasions that I use my cheapo Halfords battery charger. Used it on all my canbus BMWs over the years and never had a problem or a flat battery (now that's asking for trouble). Never replaced a battery either.
Chris
Royal

Post by Royal »

Cheers Simbo, I've bought it so hopefully that solves the problem only worry is that there's no inline fuse with it but I'll give it a go. Thanks  :)